Updates on COVID 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have much to say on this topic anymore. But when I visit this forum, I do read through to see what other people say.

The way I look at it, if a poster is still posting, he/she stays alive. And that by itself is good. :)

Thanks! That sent me on a long walk down memory lane!

Florida is getting ready to join California above 500,000 total cases, maybe even by tomorrow. Texas is not that far behind, but will take a while longer.

Thanks! That sent me on a long walk down memory lane!

Has it been really that long? You made me look. The Web says "...written and performed by the Bee Gees from the Saturday Night Fever motion picture soundtrack. The song was released on 13 December 1977..." Man, it's been 43 years. Somehow, I remembered it as being from the early 80s.

It so happened that earlier today, on the Web I saw a scene from my childhood neighborhood, that my parents moved away in the 60s. I definitely remember hearing about the Kennedy assassination when there, and that marked the period we lived there. That whole part of town changed. Other than a market and a movie theater that are still there, nothing is the same. It brought up a a swell of nostalgia.

Do my children care to listen to my stories of the ol' days, the same as I used to listen to my parents talked about WW II?

And speaking of this pandemic, will I live long enough to tell stories to future youngsters about this Covid-19 period?

Totally my coming of age period as I graduated HS in 1977. I remember the movie so well, especially John Travolta bopping down the street swinging his paint can to Stayin’ Alive.

Last edited:
South Dakota is lining up to make a break forward in the race. Sturgis, SD is hosting a quarter million bikers starting this weekend. Now there is a helthy, young, immune population.
Too bad the majority of cases that result from the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally will be next to impossible to track as they return home.
Daytona Bike Week is past but new Fl has Biktoberfest in mid-October to look forward to next. But let's not forget all the other large gatherings of parties that have been taking place in many parts of the country. Granted they haven't been as large as Sturgis or Daytona Beach Bike Week but a 1k+ group of liquored up people with no social distancing or masks can transmit a lot of viruses once they go home. You would think this country has a lot of people with a death wish and/or don't care if they spread the virus to others.

Cheers!

Unfortunately I think this is one of the easiest ways this virus spreads - people travel from all over the country, spend a few days together, return home just in time to be contagious and spread it back home. If they self-isolated upon return home that would prevent spread from their trip. How many will do that?

Florida is getting ready to join California above 500,000 total cases, maybe even by tomorrow. Texas is not that far behind, but will take a while longer.

Florida is about 54% of the population of California.
Texas is about 75% of the population of California.

Thankfully all three states are now seeing decreasing cases.

Yet deaths continue to rise, we’ll see how and where daily case counts stabilize.

Yes, I see that Florida being close to CA with approx half the population as not so good. Same with passing Texas yet with only 2/3 the population. Texas has taken more aggressive statewide steps at mitigation for a month now. Perhaps that explains some of the difference compared to Florida.

Unfortunately, I recently read that Florida is using “isolation areas” in long term care facilities to house overflow COVID positive patients. That can’t end well....

Unfortunately requires a subscription, I was able to read it on Apple News. Op-Ed but lots of facts presented about the situation.
https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/op-ed/article244708572.html

Last edited:

I would not be so sure. California indicated yesterday that their reported cases were too low due to a server or reporting issue. Florida closed testing facilities ahead of the storm. So I think we have unreliable data from both.

I would not be so sure. California indicated yesterday that their reported cases were too low due to a server or reporting issue. Florida closed testing facilities ahead of the storm. So I think we have unreliable data from both.

The sites that collect data directly from the CA county sources should still be o.k. even though the state is having an IT issue. Worldometers does that, but their daily counts are always different than other sources because they end their day in our mid-afternoon, so their data is always half from our previous day and half from the current day.

The most reliable, most current data for CA is here: https://www.latimes.com/projects/california-coronavirus-cases-tracking-outbreak/

The L.A. Times is doing their own collection and reporting for cases and deaths, so they are always a bit ahead of the state's reporting. Yesterday was the 10th consecutive day where the 7-day average in new cases declined, but the death rate still looks pretty bad. I expect we have another week-and-a-half before that starts to decline (assuming the case rate continues declining).

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-08-05 083334.jpg
    Annotation 2020-08-05 083334.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 50
Louisiana is staying in Phase 2 for at least THREE more weeks. Ugh.

Basically this means our bars are all closed, no live music, no large groups, everybody over 8 years old has to wear a mask even outside, and a lot of other rules. If there is a race between the states, we are stalled out on the sidelines and going nowhere.

OK, in the summer of 2019 my ex husband of 23 years, my cousin who I grew up with and was like a sister to me, my older brother, and several others that I cared about all died. It was a very bad year for me.

So far I think most of us can agree that 2020 has been awful so far.

I mean seriously, if 2021 is just a normal year I think people will be so relieved! LOL

The rate of fatalities in Florida has not slowed. A couple of weeks ago the discussion was whether 100 in a day was a reporting issue, but it has now been above 200 per day for the past week and shows no sign of declining. Hospitalization rate is also high and South Florida public health experts have stated the emergency system is now at full capacity.

Nevada is very dependent on tourism but has cancelled all festivals, etc for this year. It’s killing us but it’s the responsible thing to do. I can’t believe any state is allowing them. Ugh!

Looking at the latest statistics coming for CT, MA, NJ and NY there looks to be some hope. I just hope other states have learned something form the early mistakes made in these states.

The rate of fatalities in Florida has not slowed. A couple of weeks ago the discussion was whether 100 in a day was a reporting issue, but it has now been above 200 per day for the past week and shows no sign of declining. Hospitalization rate is also high and South Florida public health experts have stated the emergency system is now at full capacity.

Texas is also averaging just above 200 a day. A month ago the 7 day average was around 35!

Last edited:
Nevada is very dependent on tourism but has cancelled all festivals, etc for this year. It’s killing us but it’s the responsible thing to do. I can’t believe any state is allowing them. Ugh!

We aren't having any festivals. Mardi Gras is cancelled for next year, AFAIK. We can't have anything with live music or entertainment. Apparently they figure it's impossible to enforce social distancing if there is music, dance, or other entertainment going on. I suppose that is probably true. :(

Texas is also averaging just above 200 a day. A month ago the 7 day average was around 35!

One bit of good news locally (San Antonio) is that the number of people hospitalized for Covid 19 has slowly declined over the past few weeks. Three weeks ago there were more than 1,250 and yesterday the number was down to 858.

And for those of you who see the glass as half empty, yes, the number is down in part because some of the hospitalized patients died.

Our average for this past week has been 68 new deaths/day. But then, our population is only 4.6 million. I googled and found out that the population of Texas is 29 million, and the population of Florida is 21 million. So, that makes our deaths sound like a lot although I'm really not sure the criteria used to designate a death as a COVID death match from state to state.

Ha... Middle aged, overweight, hard drinking bikers... you could hardly get any healthier.

Well I will grant them one thing - it’s easy to socially distance while out riding a motorcycle. But once you get off it - hmmmmmm.

One bit of good news locally (San Antonio) is that the number of people hospitalized for Covid 19 has slowly declined over the past few weeks. Three weeks ago there were more than 1,250 and yesterday the number was down to 858.

And for those of you who see the glass as half empty, yes, the number is down in part because some of the hospitalized patients died.
Well that is great news. I don’t know what’s happening in the RGV. Last I heard they were building a field hospital in McAllen.

Well that is great news. I don’t know what’s happening in the RGV. Last I heard they were building a field hospital in McAllen.

First patient arrived yesterday. It's at the McAllen Convention Center. It is for recovering Covid patients. 50 beds to start, can be expanded to 250.

Another is ready to open soon in Harlingen.

First patient arrived yesterday. It's at the McAllen Convention Center. It is for recovering Covid patients. 50 beds to start, can be expanded to 250.

Another is ready to open soon in Harlingen.

Thanks for the update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom