Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Even though we are seniors we really do not think that we will get the vaccination until the Jan/Feb/March timeframe. No doubt healthcare/civil protection workers , and those who are health compromised in some fashion will be first.
brett is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #322
Give me a forum ...

I got my first shot of Shingrix earlier this month.

The Safeway pharmacy checked my insurance.

I actually wanted the pneumococcal vaccine. My doctor recommended I get both.

But the pharmacist told me that pneumococcal isn't covered by insurance until age 65 or if you have respiratory problems, in which case you'd need an Rx.

So I got the Shingrix and I would probably get the second shot sometime in mid January or later.

Get that out of the way before covid vaccine.
explanade is online now   Reply
Old 11-19-2020, 03:06 PM   #323
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I got my first shot of Shingrix earlier this month.

The Safeway pharmacy checked my insurance.

I actually wanted the pneumococcal vaccine. My doctor recommended I get both.

But the pharmacist told me that pneumococcal isn't covered by insurance until age 65 or if you have respiratory problems, in which case you'd need an Rx.

So I got the Shingrix and I would probably get the second shot sometime in mid January or later.

Get that out of the way before covid vaccine.

Do you know the typical age when insurance (BCBS) starts covering the Shingrix shot?
Old 11-19-2020, 03:11 PM   #324
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Do you know the typical age when insurance (BCBS) starts covering the Shingrix shot?
I am on UHC. My provider started recommending right as I turned 50, but I am not sure the insurance had an age cut off. I got the first shot last month at 51.
HenryD is offline   Reply
Old 11-19-2020, 04:42 PM   #325
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It varies by insurer. My insurer (Idaho, not BCBS) covered 100% of both Shingrix shots at age 50, but I think that's uncommonly good. You'd have to call your own BCBS and ask to find out your coverage.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply
Old 11-19-2020, 05:33 PM   #326
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1 That’ll be my choice as well, as I doubt we consumers will have much choice.

From what I have heard, any vaccine available in 2021 will be improved on over the next 2-5 years. Some labs are already working on version 2.0 that will be more effective and/or last longer. Figure on at least one more shot at some point in this decade.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply
Old 11-19-2020, 07:38 PM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
From what I have heard, any vaccine available in 2021 will be improved on over the next 2-5 years. Some labs are already working on version 2.0 that will be more effective and/or last longer. Figure on at least one more shot at some point in this decade.
Agreed. I'll be getting one as soon as I'm allowed/eligible and they're available. If a better one comes out (like they did with the shingles vaccines) I'll get that one when it's available, too. I'm not really concerned about the cost. Probably my insurance will cover it, but if not, I'd pay for it. In the overall picture, the cost, time and inconvenience are trivial compared to the benefit.

I'm not saying anyone else should feel this way. Just my perspective. The great thing is, I don't need to rely on anyone else getting the vaccine if it's as effective as the trials so far have suggested. So those who choose not to won't effect me. This is a win-win, no matter how you feel about vaccines.
CaptTom is online now   Reply
Old 11-19-2020, 07:43 PM   #328
Give me a forum ...

Maybe with pandemic fatigue, there might be a greater number of people willing to get the vaccine early than was the case back in early summer.
explanade is online now   Reply
Old 11-19-2020, 08:39 PM   #329
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was able to get it at 100% covered at 59. BCBSTX.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:12 AM   #330
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I check this yesterday BCBS Mass, website says its covered, but I don't trust it and will call when I go get it.
When in CVS a few weeks ago for the flu shot pharmacist said she checked it and said not covered.

Wife is on UHC and the website there says its covered, way better website than BCBS.

when getting the cost quote avg around $250 is that per shot or for the 2 shots?
ransil is offline   Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 05:29 AM   #331
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I was able to get it at 100% covered at 59. BCBSTX.
Same here at 59 with BCBSFL.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:30 AM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
I check this yesterday BCBS Mass, website says its covered, but I don't trust it and will call when I go get it.
When in CVS a few weeks ago for the flu shot pharmacist said she checked it and said not covered.

Wife is on UHC and the website there says its covered, way better website than BCBS.

when getting the cost quote avg around $250 is that per shot or for the 2 shots?
When the cost of 250 is quoted, I am fairly sure it is just for one shot.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:40 AM   #333
Give me a forum ...

I asked the hygienist who cleaned my teeth last week, if he was excited about the COVID vaccine. (I was assuming that dental workers would be first in line).

He said didn't want to get it until it had been out for a year.

Somehow, I doubt his employer will want him to wait that long.
Amethyst is offline   Reply
Pfizer so submit for EUA 20 Nov
Old 11-20-2020, 06:06 AM   #334

Pfizer so submit for EUA 20 Nov

This morning (20 Nov) I see reporting that Pfizer will submit for EUA to FDA today. Also reports that FDA has asked the expert panel to set aside 8-10 Dec for a review of the vaccine.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:17 AM   #335
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I don't doubt there will be 3.0 & 4.0 by 2025. I mean 1.0 took less than a year.
gerntz is offline   Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 07:52 AM   #336
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I don't doubt there will be 3.0 & 4.0 by 2025. I mean 1.0 took less than a year.
I have my doubts that there will be a version 2.0 or 3.0 of the approved vaccines.

If the existing Pfizer or Moderna vaccines are safe and effective, there is very little incentive for them to find a new molecule/RNA fragment. Pharma companies will have to perform new clinical trials to prove safety and efficacy - trials which have 30-40k people are not cheap to run.

Not to mention that once you have mass inoculations, incidence of COVID-19 will decline, finding patients to enroll in these trials will be extremely difficult, and then proving effectiveness will be even harder as patients in the placebo and treatment arms are less likely to be infected. They will have to undergo a challenge trial to prove efficacy, which borders on unethical as you have proven meds that are already available.

If there are new versions, my expectations is it will be a v1.1 where the lipid nanoparticles that are currently being used to encapsulate the mRNA will be reformulated so that it will not require super cold storage. Even this will have to undergo FDA regulatory review for safety/efficacy.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 07:57 AM   #337
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I asked the hygienist who cleaned my teeth last week, if he was excited about the COVID vaccine. (I was assuming that dental workers would be first in line).

He said didn't want to get it until it had been out for a year.

Somehow, I doubt his employer will want him to wait that long.
I don't think waiting a year will be needed. These vaccines are a one off. The large amount of people being vaccinated at once will quickly bring any potential problems in the open.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
An update on the Oxford / Astra Zeneca vaccine is also positive. BBC reports “ The Oxford coronavirus vaccine shows a strong immune response in adults in their 60s and 70s, raising hopes that it can protect age groups most at risk from the virus.” https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54993652

Refreshingly, the vaccine developers reported in The Lancet, a medical journal, https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...466-1/fulltext
They appear to be positioning this one as "the fogey vaccine", since there are many references to the older population in this paper.

Quote:
If these responses correlate with protection in humans, these findings are encouraging because older individuals are at disproportionate risk of severe COVID-19 and so any vaccine adopted for use against SARS-CoV-2 must be effective in older adults.
This result is behind the two mRNA vaccines since they used a marker for disease prevention instead of actual disease prevention. Given the smaller study population and the fact that it's adenovirus based, I'm feeling less comfortable with this one, but it will catch-up.
sengsational is offline   Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #339
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
They appear to be positioning this one as "the fogey vaccine", since there are many references to the older population in this paper.

This result is behind the two mRNA vaccines since they used a marker for disease prevention instead of actual disease prevention. Given the smaller study population and the fact that it's adenovirus based, I'm feeling less comfortable with this one, but it will catch-up.
The Lancet article linked about this seemed to be talking about a phase 2 trial. I don't know if phase 3 for this vaccine will be a challenge trial - apparently they do those in England, and I think the "Oxford" in this vaccine means it's partially developed across the pond - or one like Moderna and Pfizer did where it's just a bunch of people going about their daily business. So I think this vaccine is just chronologically behind in terms of development.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply
Oxford identifies protective genes
Old 11-20-2020, 11:54 AM   #340

Oxford identifies protective genes

Interesting read,

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/20/cris...nst-covid.html
Quote:

• A team of CRISPR scientists at the New York Genome Center, New York University and Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai say they have identified the genes that can protect human cells against Covid-19.
  • Leading virologist at Mount Sinai, Dr. Benjamin tenOever, developed a series of human lung cell models for coronavirus screening to better understand immune responses to the disease and co-authored the study.
  • The goal was two-fold: to identify the genes that make human cells more resistant to SARS-CoV-2 virus; and test existing drugs on the market that may help stop the spread of the disease.

Tags
multiple, shingles, shingrix, vaccine