Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 12:16 PM   #341
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
The Lancet article linked about this seemed to be talking about a phase 2 trial. I don't know if phase 3 for this vaccine will be a challenge trial - apparently they do those in England, and I think the "Oxford" in this vaccine means it's partially developed across the pond - or one like Moderna and Pfizer did where it's just a bunch of people going about their daily business. So I think this vaccine is just chronologically behind in terms of development.
It is Oxford University in England, and the phase 3 trial has been underway with 10’s of thousands of volunteers in multiple countries around the world. They are very close to getting the sort of number of infected people they want before unblinding the trial to see how many of the infected were the placebo group.

When pressed by an interviewer on the radio yesterday the spokesperson would not commit to when, just that they were very close. Until the unblinding happens they won’t know for sure how effective it is.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...ccine-be-ready
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2020, 12:44 PM   #342
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-NoGo View Post
I have my doubts that there will be a version 2.0 or 3.0 of the approved vaccines.

If the existing Pfizer or Moderna vaccines are safe and effective, there is very little incentive for them to find a new molecule/RNA fragment. Pharma companies will have to perform new clinical trials to prove safety and efficacy - trials which have 30-40k people are not cheap to run.

Not to mention that once you have mass inoculations, incidence of COVID-19 will decline, finding patients to enroll in these trials will be extremely difficult, and then proving effectiveness will be even harder as patients in the placebo and treatment arms are less likely to be infected. They will have to undergo a challenge trial to prove efficacy, which borders on unethical as you have proven meds that are already available.

If there are new versions, my expectations is it will be a v1.1 where the lipid nanoparticles that are currently being used to encapsulate the mRNA will be reformulated so that it will not require super cold storage. Even this will have to undergo FDA regulatory review for safety/efficacy.
I suppose we can go into what makes a change 1.1 vs. 2.0, but I won't.

But not needing super cold or even cold storage for poor geographies would be a great advance. So would needing just one shot vs. two or even taking it orally. Making their effectiveness period longer than what it turns out to be would help too. While 95% effective is great, 99.9% would be better.
gerntz is offline   Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #343
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I functionally unblinded our phase 2 Novavax trial today. We apparently beat the odds and are both in the control group based on negative results from the Assure rapid antibody test which has 99% specificity.

So no gym or indoor pickleball this winter. Looking forward to availability of the Pfizer or Moderns version.
kyzymurgist is offline   Reply
Old 11-20-2020, 02:58 PM   #344
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzymurgist View Post
DW and I functionally unblinded our phase 2 Novavax trial today. We apparently beat the odds and are both in the control group based on negative results from the Assure rapid antibody test which has 99% specificity.

So no gym or indoor pickleball this winter. Looking forward to availability of the Pfizer or Moderns version.
Thanks for your effort.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #345
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Not that it matters too much I'm sure, but for your case you might instead be interested in sensitivity which gives you the number of false negatives.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply
Old 11-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #346

One of the WWIV members in their latest podcast said that his only worry about the pfeizer vaccine was the last chain in the delivery link. The temperature requirements are complex at the CVS or local pharmacy etc. It's more likely that errors occur there than anywhere else in the delivery and distribution chain, and errors can decrease the efficacy.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply
Old 11-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #347
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Not that it matters too much I'm sure, but for your case you might instead be interested in sensitivity which gives you the number of false negatives.
Sensitivity is 100%
kyzymurgist is offline   Reply
Old 11-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #348
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

According to this morning's local news broadcast, an Oregon long-term care facility has put themselves on the high need list and has arranged with Walgreens to administer the shots.

I will be covered by Kaiser as of Jan 1. Their research group in Seattle was involved in the development of the Moderna vaccine.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #349
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
One of the WWIV members in their latest podcast said that his only worry about the pfeizer vaccine was the last chain in the delivery link. The temperature requirements are complex at the CVS or local pharmacy etc. It's more likely that errors occur there than anywhere else in the delivery and distribution chain, and errors can decrease the efficacy.
Good point I think. Reason to think bigger distribution locations would be a better source. Might be a good reason for say CVS with 5 stores in an area only store & distribute from one of those.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #350
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
If you can get a 95% effective vaccine and you are in the highest risk group, what are the chances tht you will go without a mask among Covid-ineffected people?
Old 11-23-2020, 09:19 AM   #351
gone traveling

Now AstraZeneca vaccine showing good efficacy. Not as high so far as first two. Uses different mechanism to deliver also. And can be stored with just refrigeration. Still a two shots system.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #352
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If you can get a 95% effective vaccine and you are in the highest risk group, what are the chances tht you will go without a mask among Covid-ineffected people?
Emphasis added.

I would say if I was that person, I would wear a mask, but I would also feel much better in the event I found myself in a group of unmasked folks without my own mask. Even a 1 in 20 chance of infection is not that great for highest risk people. Just my 2¢ based upon the very little I know.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply
Old 11-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #353
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Emphasis added.

I would say if I was that person, I would wear a mask, but I would also feel much better in the event I found myself in a group of unmasked folks without my own mask. Even a 1 in 20 chance of infection is not that great for highest risk people. Just my 2¢ based upon the very little I know.

Not only that, there's a belief that vaccines, at least the early ones, will prevent disease but not necessarily infections.

The assumption is that the vaccines won't raise an immune response effectively in the parts of the body where you get infected, which are the nasal passages, mouth and possibly the eyes.

What they would do is prevent infection from spreading and taking hold in your lungs and other organs like the heart.

For the upper respiratory tract, there are vaccines and drugs being developed which would be delivered as inhalers, to attack the virus in those areas.

That also means while you are less likely to get sick, you can get infected and be infectious to other people.
explanade is offline   Reply
Old 11-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #354
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes, thanks for your contribution! And I hope you have access to a vaccine soon!
Old 11-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Now AstraZeneca vaccine showing good efficacy. Not as high so far as first two. Uses different mechanism to deliver also. And can be stored with just refrigeration. Still a two shots system.
Looks like there may be quite a few paths to beating Covid, and coming to market pretty quickly.
Montecfo is offline   Reply
Old 11-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
That also means while you are less likely to get sick, you can get infected and be infectious to other people.
Oooo. I hadn't thought of that. That's a bit of a bummer. I was thinking about the vaccine as a sort of "super power" that would allow me to relax a bit.

OTOH, at some point everyone who wants one will have the vaccine, and only those who would rather get sick than take the vaccine will be at risk. I'm going to have a hard time working up a lot of sympathy for those folks.
CaptTom is offline   Reply
Old 11-23-2020, 02:48 PM   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
The term I've heard for a vaccine that makes it so you can't infect someone else after the vaccine has trained your body to recognize it is a "sterilizing vaccine". No current Sars-CoV-2 vaccine claims to fall into this category. But in my thinking (warning, he's doing it again!), if your body recognizes some virus that enters your body and starts eliminating it right away, there won't be nearly as many virus particles created, and fewer particles to share on your exhales or within your shared 'bodily fluids'.
sengsational is offline   Reply
Old 11-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #358
Give me a forum ...

If the vaccine helps with herd immunity, it has to be doing something that keeps the virus from spreading at its normal rate.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply
Old 11-23-2020, 11:25 PM   #359
Give me a forum ...

We will definitely be getting the vaccine so we can get our lives back. We will probably be in the second group being older with health issues. We are glad we got out some this summer. In light of the cases rising everywhere I am surprised people are traveling for the holiday. We sat outside today with a high of 48 degrees to visit with my son and his wife. Masks were worn and we sat far apart. We lasted 90 minutes until we were frozen).
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply
Old 11-24-2020, 01:51 AM   #360
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If the vaccine helps with herd immunity, it has to be doing something that keeps the virus from spreading at its normal rate.
My thoughts as well. A spokesman from AstraZeneca yesterday said that they are geared up to produce 3.5 billion doses worldwide next year. That has got to help towards herd immunity.
Closed Thread

Tags
multiple, shingles, shingrix, vaccine