Vaccine Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is saying that doing everything we can still do to keep the infection rate down is as important as ever. The vaccine won’t fix things quickly. We’ve got to continue the tightened precautions.
Don't know what you think "quickly" is for this situation, but to me it's about 6 months from now. This problem has been building for a year & having a possible solution that takes effect in 6 months is quick to me.

Don't know what you think "quickly" is for this situation, but to me it's about 6 months from now. This problem has been building for a year & having a possible solution that takes effect in 6 months is quick to me.

I was just paraphrasing the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are interested in watching the FDA Advisory committee meeting live (or Adcom as they say in the biz) for the Pfizer vaccine, look here:

Agenda
The meeting presentations will be heard, viewed, captioned, and recorded through an online teleconferencing platform. On December 10, 2020, the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research’s (CBER), Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC) will meet in open session to discuss Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 in individuals 16 years of age and older.

https://www.fda.gov/advisory-commit...mmittee-december-10-2020-meeting-announcement

Which will be streamed live on Youtube:
https://youtu.be/owveMJBTc2I

Last edited:
The Guardian reports a new trial scheduled to begin in January to test the use of two vaccines. Link here, requires registration https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...accine-trial-likely-to-begin-in-uk-next-month

Thanks for the link, I'd not seen or heard of the trial.

The concept is known as a heterologous prime-boost. “It means mix and matching vaccines,” said Bingham. “So you do a prime with one vaccine and then the second – whether it’s 28 days or two months or whatever the agreed periods would be – would be with a different vaccine.”

Viral-based vaccines such as the Oxford jab, which is based on a chimp common cold virus, give a much greater cellular response – prompting the T-cells to kill cells infected with the coronavirus. The mRNA vaccines, like Pfizer’s, tend to generate a bigger antibody response. So the idea is to combine them, in whichever order, to help the immune system respond more powerfully to Sars-CoV2.

“No one’s ever done it live and since we’ll have safe vaccines available we should do that study, because then we have the ability to actually produce better immune responses,” said Clive Dix, deputy chair of the taskforce.

Seems with the vaccine coming very soon, we need to stay vigilant with our masks and social distancing. It would be extremely stupid to get Covid 3 weeks before the vaccine became available.

Something I wonder about, If the vaccine IS only effective at immunizing against Covid for a limited time (we don't know yet), would it be best to get everyone immunized very quickly to snuff out the virus?

So that we don't have those not yet immunized infecting those whose antibodies are no longer effective.

What about the Novavax recombinant nanoparticle vaccine using spike protein fragment? Based on phase 1 data, should be as effective and safe as the mRNA approach.
True, the doctor didn't mention the self assembling nano partical technology. There's something to be said for having the antigen protein assembled in vitro. It's so cool we have so many ways to get the humoral arm ready to fight.

True, the doctor didn't mention the self assembling nano partical technology. There's something to be said for having the antigen protein assembled in vitro. It's so cool we have so many ways to get the humoral arm ready to fight.

Learn something new everyday!

Humoral

1. Medicine
    relating to the body fluids, especially with regard to immune responses involving antibodies in body fluids as distinct from cells.

If you are interested in watching the FDA Advisory committee meeting live (or Adcom as they say in the biz) for the Pfizer vaccine, look here:

https://www.fda.gov/advisory-commit...mmittee-december-10-2020-meeting-announcement

Which will be streamed live on Youtube:
https://youtu.be/owveMJBTc2I

I've been watching on and off for 2 + hrs, Before the break it was pretty boring, but after it got interesting, especially the ethics part. What to do with test participants that got the placebo when a vaccine is available?

Something I wonder about, If the vaccine IS only effective at immunizing against Covid for a limited time (we don't know yet), would it be best to get everyone immunized very quickly to snuff out the virus?
Might be but a) time is limited by vaccines production rates and b) everyone is flat not going to take the vaccine.

I've been watching on and off for 2 + hrs, Before the break it was pretty boring, but after it got interesting, especially the ethics part. What to do with test participants that got the placebo when a vaccine is available?

I watched about 6 hours of the Adcom (brings back memories)
the committee voted YES, the FDA usually agrees with the committee's recommendation (but not always).

I think it would be safe to say that the FDA will agree and approve this vaccine.

Another trial announced today of combining vaccines. This time it is the AstraZenecca and Sputnik vaccines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55273907

UK and Russian scientists are teaming up to trial a combination of the Oxford-AstraZeneca and Sputnik V vaccines to see if protection against Covid-19 can be improved.
Mixing two similar vaccines could lead to a better immune response in people.
The trials, to be held in Russia, will involve over-18s, although it's not clear how many people will be involved.

Has anyone heard how the vaccine will be administered locally once medical personnel and nursing home residents are vaccinated? It seems like you'd need mass events like the polio vaccinations of yore - Walgreen's pharmacy just ain't gonna handle it.

Another trial announced today of combining vaccines. This time it is the AstraZenecca and Sputnik vaccines.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55273907

UK is expected to combine the Astra Zeneca and the Pfizer vaccine, if the former is approved. Also Moderna may also be in the mix.

That trial would begin in January.

The theory is that viral vectors like the AZ vaccine better stimulates T Cells while the mRNA vaccines like the Pfizer and Moderna stimulates antibodies better.

So the combined effect may be superior than two shots of the same type.

Has anyone heard how the vaccine will be administered locally once medical personnel and nursing home residents are vaccinated? It seems like you'd need mass events like the polio vaccinations of yore - Walgreen's pharmacy just ain't gonna handle it.

I’m expecting in our small town that the GP offices will set up similar to how they did the mass flu vaccinations this year, which was quite different to how they normally do the flu vaccines.

They had a dedicated treatment room and a dedicated reception desk for vaccines well away from the regular reception desk. The time slots were 8 minutes apart so when you turned up you were routed past the reception desk to the treatment room and then afterwards continue through the building and out through what is normally an emergency exit. The GP offices everywhere have been told to man up to be open from 8am to 8pm to do the vaccinations.

CVS Pharmacy in my area is advertising to hire people who can give the vaccines so CVS is thinking they will be handling some of it.

The ALF where my mother lives announced CVS would be administering the vaccine onsite.

In Connecticut, it will be the hospitals and the big drug stores (CVS and Walgreens), at least initially. They're working on expanding the number of places that can do it.

Only the first groups have any details to their plan . The rest of us wait patiently.

Last edited:
I haven't seen an update on the Moderna vaccine approval timing. Thought it was just a week behind Pfizer. Anyone?

Are any states still holding up the Vaccine , many were wanting to review the data and have their own approvals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom