Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #81
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Another speed bump in the Oxford AstraZeneca trial. Someone who volunteered for the trial in Brazil died.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/21/astr...tudy-dies.html
I can't see that the person was infected with the virus such that the cause of death may have been something else.
gerntz is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Maybe I have this wrong, but I didn't think the risk of contracting the virus is lower for young people, or maybe just slightly/somewhat less, but that the frequency of bad outcomes from contracting it is way way way lower than for old folks.
That does seem to be the case. A good recent piece in New Scientist magazine discussed the risks. Might be behind a paywall, but the gist of it was that
Quote:
getting COVID-19 doubles your normal annual risk of dying -- still very low if you are young, but higher the older you get.
According to MIT,
Quote:
116 people in 1,000 in their mid-70s and older are likely to die if infected. That compares with less than 1 person in 1,000 for people under 50.
And even if personal risk is low, the risk that you may spread the infection to other more vulnerable people remains.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...n=NSNEW_221020
Old 10-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Placebos will almost certainly be used.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02821-4
I am curious. Is there any attempt to make the placebo duplicate some of the minor problems of getting the shot. For example, if the vaccine shot might cause swelling and itching at the injection site, do they put something into some of placebos to cause a bit of swelling and itching at the shot location?
Old 10-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #84
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I am curious. Is there any attempt to make the placebo duplicate some of the minor problems of getting the shot. For example, if the vaccine shot might cause swelling and itching at the injection site, do they put something into some of placebos to cause a bit of swelling and itching at the shot location?
Good question and the article doesn’t go into those sorts of details. With the phase 3 trials currently underway on 30,000 subjects I think this particular side effect will be investigated there.

They are only testing on 40 to 50 folks, giving small, then increasing doses of the vaccine to see what levels of vaccine produce the anti-viral responses they are looking for.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
That is a good question. I'd like to know. I did my part to help the placebo effect in the following way...

A friend is in a trial. She announced to us that she is so glad she got the vaccine instead of the placebo. We asked, "How do you know?" She said, "My arm felt like it was going to fall off. I know I got it."

So, we asked her if maybe the placebo had something else in it to cause pain? It sewed some doubt in her mind.

JoeWras is online now   Reply
Old 10-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #86
Administrator

This podcast includes a short discussion on clinical trials and if enrollees know or can figure out what they are getting. The interviewee is epidemiologist Saad Omer of Yale University and the podcast producer is Stat News, a magazine specialized in biotech. The magazine is subscription and very high news quality, their COVID articles are free, as is the podcast. https://www.statnews.com/2020/10/01/...ta-disappoint/
MichaelB is online now   Reply
Old 10-25-2020, 11:32 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

This article goes into a bit more detail on placebos used in the trials.

https://theconversation.com/coronavi...placebo-146365

Quote:
In some COVID-19 vaccine trials, participants in the control group (the group receiving a placebo) are injected with a saline solution. In other trials, they receive an actual treatment. For example, in the COVID-19 vaccine developed by the University of Oxford, the control group receives a meningitis and septicaemia vaccine as a placebo.
The benefit of using an actual vaccine as the placebo control is that it will cause a similar reaction at the site of the injection as the COVID-19 vaccine, such as muscle pain and soreness. This prevents patients from knowing whether they are getting the placebo or the real treatment. The scientific term for hiding knowledge of who got what treatment is “blinding”.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #88

Just be sure you get the genuine placebo, not the generic knockoff version.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Old 10-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This podcast includes a short discussion on clinical trials and if enrollees know or can figure out what they are getting.
That was a nice little discussion that helped me see the problem with this unblinding by participants guessing based on symptoms. If you follow along with the suggestions in the discussion, because the people who guess they got saline might be more careful in their distancing, and people who guess they got the real deal might be less careful in their distancing, then the study results will show both arms of the study closer to one and other (a more conservative result). If the vaccine is effective enough, I expect that this bit of 'noise' from guessing will be negligible.
sengsational is offline   Reply
Old 10-25-2020, 01:03 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I’ll only consider the same placebo Fauci gets.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #92

Quote:
These placebos are getting rushed to market.
Montecfo is offline   Reply
Old 10-29-2020, 06:35 AM   #93
Recycles dryer sheets

Kroger announced the rollout of $25 rapid antibody tests. This could adversely affect the vaccine trials by providing a cheap way for test subjects to unblind the trials.

DW and I will probably do this as soon as tests are available. The results will not change our behavior since we still don't know how effective any of the vaccines will be.
kyzymurgist is offline   Reply
Old 10-29-2020, 06:46 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzymurgist View Post
Kroger announced the rollout of $25 rapid antibody tests. This could adversely affect the vaccine trials by providing a cheap way for test subjects to unblind the trials.

DW and I will probably do this as soon as tests are available. The results will not change our behavior since we still don't know how effective any of the vaccines will be.
I have been getting rapid antibody tests as a requirement for work for months. No big deal. As far as the trial, you have the people sign paperwork agreeing not to have an antibody test done unless trial administrators ok it.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply
Old 10-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have been getting rapid antibody tests as a requirement for work for months. No big deal. As far as the trial, you have the people sign paperwork agreeing not to have an antibody test done unless trial administrators ok it.
We were not asked to sign anything related to antibody tests. But we are in a phase 2 trial where blinding may not be as critical.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:43 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

And now the scammers are targeting people interested in trials. With the excitement of being in a trial, people may lower their guard. Sites may ask for SS# or even bank info (your payment has to go some where, right?) during sign up. Yikes! From the FTC.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...ell-difference

Quote:
Preying on our natural desire to help others, scammers have created fake websites and promotional materials, posing as legitimate researchers. Their goal? To take your personal information and your money. They might promise you a doctor’s care and more than $1000 in payment...but as soon as they try to charge you for access, or ask for your Social Security, bank account, or credit card number, your Spidey sense should start tingling, because, unfortunately, some of these so-called “research studies” are fake.
  • Legitimate clinical trials do gather information to identify ideal candidates. To screen for participants for COVID-19 trials, they might ask for your name, contact information, age, gender, race, ethnicity, or various pre-existing conditions associated with higher risk of a COVID-19-related mortality. But they should never ask you to give your Social Security number during recruitment or screening.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:47 AM   #97
Administrator

From National Geographic, here is a clearly written summary of all the vaccine candidates, how they work, their current testing status and some projections as to when they could be available. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...elopments-cvd/
Old 10-31-2020, 08:46 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
From National Geographic, here is a clearly written summary of all the vaccine candidates, how they work, their current testing status and some projections as to when they could be available. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...elopments-cvd/
I also like the NYT's vaccine page (no login required): https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...e-tracker.html

It allows you to filter by what's in phase 1, what's approved, etc.
cathy63 is offline   Reply
Old 10-31-2020, 09:37 AM   #99
Give me a forum ...

I have a friend who is in one of the trials of a synthetic vaccine made to resemble the virus's protein spikes - there is no virus material in it at all.

After 2-3 months, he got tested to see if he had COVID antibodies, which he didn't. Then he remembered that the test is to see if you've been exposed to actual virus, not to see if you have antibodies for the virus spikes So he's still in the dark about whether he got vaccine or placebo. All he knows is that, either way, he hadn't been exposed to COVID-19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzymurgist View Post

Amethyst is offline   Reply
Old 11-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #100
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I have a friend who is in one of the trials of a synthetic vaccine made to resemble the virus's protein spikes - there is no virus material in it at all.

After 2-3 months, he got tested to see if he had COVID antibodies, which he didn't. Then he remembered that the test is to see if you've been exposed to actual virus, not to see if you have antibodies for the virus spikes So he's still in the dark about whether he got vaccine or placebo. All he knows is that, either way, he hadn't been exposed to COVID-19.
Kroger is using the Assure COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Device. According to Novavax, their vaccine elicits a strong IgG spike protein response in 100% of subjects after a single injection. Even more than found in convalescent plasma of Cocid-19 survivors.

So I think the Kroger test should give a positive for anyone receiving the Novavax vaccine. Their vaccine is based on the SARS-COV-2 spike protein.
Closed Thread

Tags
multiple, shingles, shingrix, vaccine