Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Kroger, as in the Midwest grocery store chain?

Interesting explanation, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzymurgist View Post
Kroger is using the Assure COVID-19 IgG/IgM Rapid Test Device. According to Novavax, their vaccine elicits a strong IgG spike protein response in 100% of subjects after a single injection. Even more than found in convalescent plasma of Cocid-19 survivors.

So I think the Kroger test should give a positive for anyone receiving the Novavax vaccine. Their vaccine is based on the SARS-COV-2 spike protein.
Amethyst is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Kroger, as in the Midwest grocery store chain?

Interesting explanation, thank you.

4X points this week if you test positive.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply
Pfizer announces it's vaccine 90% effective
Old 11-09-2020, 05:00 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pfizer announces it's vaccine 90% effective

Just heard and found a NY Times article says Pfizer announced it's vaccine with German drugmaker BioNTech is 90% effective. Found post at:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/h...ne-pfizer.html

Some of the news:

"The company said that the analysis found that the vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in preventing the disease among trial volunteers who had no evidence of prior coronavirus infection. If the results hold up, that level of protection would put it on par with highly effective childhood vaccines for diseases such as measles. No serious safety concerns have been observed, the company said."

"Pfizer plans to ask the Food and Drug Administration for emergency authorization of the two-dose vaccine later this month, after it has collected the recommended two months of safety data. By the end of the year it will have manufactured enough doses to immunize 15 to 20 million people, company executives have said."
Old 11-09-2020, 05:13 AM   #104
Administrator

Threads merged
MichaelB is online now   Reply
Old 11-09-2020, 05:23 AM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
Just heard and found a NY Times article says Pfizer announced it's vaccine with German drugmaker BioNTech is 90% effective. Found post at:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/h...ne-pfizer.html

Some of the news:

"The company said that the analysis found that the vaccine was more than 90 percent effective in preventing the disease among trial volunteers who had no evidence of prior coronavirus infection. If the results hold up, that level of protection would put it on par with highly effective childhood vaccines for diseases such as measles. No serious safety concerns have been observed, the company said."

"Pfizer plans to ask the Food and Drug Administration for emergency authorization of the two-dose vaccine later this month, after it has collected the recommended two months of safety data. By the end of the year it will have manufactured enough doses to immunize 15 to 20 million people, company executives have said."
90% efficacy is amazing! Saw that they are filing for emergency use next week. A cause for cautious optimism?
Toocold is offline   Reply
Old 11-09-2020, 05:38 AM   #106
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Pfizer and BioNTech said the case split between vaccinated individuals and those who received a placebo indicated a vaccine efficacy rate of above 90% at seven days after the second dose.

It means that protection from Covid-19 is achieved 28 days after the initial vaccination, which consists of a two-dose schedule.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/covi...infection.html

From another article on the same vaccine. It’s looking like a safe, highly effective, fast acting solution. The big remaining question will be how long the protection lasts.
Popeye is offline   Reply
Old 11-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

From press release by Pfizer:

Quote:
  • Vaccine candidate was found to be more than 90% effective in preventing COVID-19 in participants without evidence of prior SARS-CoV-2 infection in the first interim efficacy analysis.
  • Analysis evaluated 94 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in trial participants
  • Study enrolled 43,538 participants, with 42% having diverse backgrounds, and no serious safety concerns have been observed; Safety and additional efficacy data continue to be collected
  • Submission for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) planned for soon after the required safety milestone is achieved, which is currently expected to occur in the third week of November
  • Clinical trial to continue through to final analysis at 164 confirmed cases in order to collect further data and characterize the vaccine candidate’s performance against other study endpoints

This is the result from a clinical Phase 3 trial involving a large sample of more than 43,000 participants, inside and outside the US, with diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds.

Pfizer also says:

Quote:
Based on current projections we expect to produce globally up to 50 million vaccine doses in 2020 and up to 1.3 billion doses in 2021.

Source: https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...didate-against

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply
Old 11-09-2020, 08:37 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Pfizer's vaccine info is very good news indeed!
Old 11-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #109

Excellent. Now if we can let the scientific and public health systems function, we might be on to something.
Markola is offline   Reply
Old 11-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #110
Administrator

Still lots of work needs to be done and proof to be shown before we celebrate. Nonetheless, it is very encouraging. Two additional points

If Pfeizer can reach that level of effectiveness others can as well. This is good news for COVID vaccine development in general.

Avoiding getting infected now becomes even more important and worthwhile.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The real question now will be distribution. I would vote for healthcare workers exclusively, then seniors in long-term care.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Avoiding getting infected now becomes even more important and worthwhile.
Exactly! I hope those who feel discouraged and want to give up and blow off safety precautions can take heart hang in there.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:15 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
Pfizer's vaccine info is very good news indeed!
Yes it is encouraging.

My sentiment is changing from wait and see to "Where's the line? Shoot me up!"
Old 11-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
The real question now will be distribution. I would vote for healthcare workers exclusively, then seniors in long-term care.
I vote for ME! As a cancer patient, my chemo has my immune system near zero. My WBC is below 500, normal is above 1500 with average about 2000. I'm instructed to not even shave as a nick could open me to an infection. I'm willing to arm wrestle for place in line!
However, I live in California where the governor is 'protecting' us from the political aspects of the vaccine. He won't allow distribution until his own select 11 person panel has completed the same tests the rest of the world already proves. Could be months after it's world release before we are able to get it. I think if that does happen, I'll have to make a road trip....
skipro33 is offline   Reply
Old 11-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #115
Administrator

skipro, let’s all hope you are among those eligible for early access.

Here’s an article by Statnews about the vaccine with good detail and background https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/09/...rial-indicate/
Old 11-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Even though being a senior citizen myself, OK actually a junior member of this class, I don't think I will be privileged to be among the first few millions to get this vaccine.

It's OK. I will keep the same precautions I do now about wearing mask in public, not eating out, and practicing social distancing even with my children. I am patient, and have plenty to entertain myself with, while waiting for the vaccine.

Why, just leaning back and watching my stash grow is plenty of fun. I am getting quite close to see the 7th digit of the number at the bottom of my Quicken screen advancing to the next number. This may happen this week, or this month, or before the end of the year. Again, I am patient.

Just talk with my wife again about when overseas travel resumes, we will be doing business class and not flinching when pulling out the wallet. Need to stay alive till then. Why risk it? Heh heh heh...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply
Old 11-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just talk with my wife again about when overseas travel resumes, we will be doing business class and not flinching when pulling out the wallet. Need to stay alive till then. Why risk it? Heh heh heh...
Good for you! No more flinching!!!
Old 11-09-2020, 10:54 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
I vote for ME! As a cancer patient, my chemo has my immune system near zero. My WBC is below 500, normal is above 1500 with average about 2000. I'm instructed to not even shave as a nick could open me to an infection. I'm willing to arm wrestle for place in line!
However, I live in California where the governor is 'protecting' us from the political aspects of the vaccine. He won't allow distribution until his own select 11 person panel has completed the same tests the rest of the world already proves. Could be months after it's world release before we are able to get it. I think if that does happen, I'll have to make a road trip....
I bet Newsom will drop that requirement.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply
Old 11-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Even though being a senior citizen myself, OK actually a junior member of this class, I don't think I will be privileged to be among the first few millions to get this vaccine.

It's OK. I will keep the same precautions I do now about wearing mask in public, not eating out, and practicing social distancing even with my children. I am patient, and have plenty to entertain myself with, while waiting for the vaccine.
+1

Even if everything continues to go smoothly and at break-neck pace with the leading vaccine candidates, I personally don't expect to be able to get vaccinated before April-May at the earliest. I'm under 60, in good health, no comorbidities or other risk factors, so I figure I'll be pretty far down the list of those who can (and should) get vaccinated within the first few months.

Having said that, it's an incredibly hopeful thought that large swaths of the public will begin to receive these vaccines fairly soon and that daily new cases and deaths will begin a slow, steady decline shortly thereafter. Light at the end of the tunnel.
Sojourner is offline   Reply
Old 11-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #120

This is just Pfizer. They said 50M doses by end of 2020 and 1.3B by end of 2021. I'm thinking another say 50M each month in 2021 to reach the 1.3B. So 25M can get vaccine which is 2 doses when (and if) approved. Then perhaps another 25M each month. After listening to the CEO on CNBC this morning he is confident it will pass approval. I'm assuming first are US as they have a contract to supply 200M to US Feds. Then add in another 2 or 3 companies our of 11 total testing a vaccine, just to be modest and we could have 100M ready by end of this year or in January and another 100M each month total ?

I know, lots of could have in there but we are where we are. I'm confident for a day at least.

Tags
multiple, shingles, shingrix, vaccine