Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #161
gone traveling

Maybe these have been brought up, but:

- Will there be post-vaccination tests to determine how protected you are/how high your antibodies are?
- How will anyone else know you're safe to be around/have antibodies/don't need to wear a mask? Will you been given a paper or a card or have your forehead tattooed or whatever?
gerntz is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #162
gone traveling

Then there's the ever-present question for all vaccine shots of how sore will your arm becomes. I'm guessing lower side effects could lead some to choose a lesser protection vaccine option if people report fewer issues with it on social media (whatever that is.).
Old 11-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Maybe these have been brought up, but:

- Will there be post-vaccination tests to determine how protected you are/how high your antibodies are?
- How will anyone else know you're safe to be around/have antibodies/don't need to wear a mask? Will you been given a paper or a card or have your forehead tattooed or whatever?
I suspect, at least in my area of the country, that there will be no vaccination credential of any sort and that we will be required to continue to wear masks regardless if we have been vaccinated or not. I can see this going on for another year.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 03:14 PM   #164
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My order of priority would be this:

1. Healthcare workers (MDs, RNs, EMTs etc.)
2. Public Safety workers (fire and police)
3. Other essential workers who necessarily have close contact with many people (Transit workers, teachers, grocery store clerks)
4. Elderly people in congregate settings.
5. Anyone with impaired immune system.
6. Everyone else by inverse order of age.

As a category 6, I would expect to receive a vaccine sometime next summer.

Sounds good to me, although I would be in the 6th group as well.

I could not resist, but there should be a group 7 who gets vaccinated last, after everybody else. I leave it to your machination who should be put in that last group.

Finally, there's group 8 who will refuse to be vaccinated. They are self-proclaimed, so no need to identify and to classify them.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Sounds good to me, although I would be in the 6th group as well.

I could not resist, but there should be a group 7 who gets vaccinated last, after everybody else. I leave it to your machination who should be put in that last group.

Finally, there's group 8 who will refuse to be vaccinated. They are self-proclaimed, so no need to identify and to classify them.

Group 7.....politicians, and lawyers?? Or from my experience in IT, maybe it’s the IT folks. Nobody likes their IT guy.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #166

Maybe this was discussed earlier, but one drawback of the Pfizer vaccine is it must be stored at -95F. Meaning, distribution will be an issue, particularly for rural areas without the facilities to do this.
Old 11-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
No, because those could be bought/sold/forged etc. I expect that community mitigation activities will likely remain in place until we have actual results and the R0 rate drops dramatically.
Aerides is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Maybe this was discussed earlier, but one drawback of the Pfizer vaccine is it must be stored at -95F. Meaning, distribution will be an issue, particularly for rural areas without the facilities to do this.
Yes, and the vaccine degrades fast above -94 F. So, problem with distribution and logistics. Novavax can match the efficacy in terms of antibodies and T cells and still be stored in regular refrigerator temperature. Maybe this is why the Pfizer CEO sold 62% of his shares on the day he announced the news a few days ago?

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/...ouncement-made
Old 11-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My order of priority would be this:

1. Healthcare workers (MDs, RNs, EMTs etc.)
2. Public Safety workers (fire and police)
3. Other essential workers who necessarily have close contact with many people (Transit workers, teachers, grocery store clerks)
4. Elderly people in congregate settings.
5. Anyone with impaired immune system.
6. Everyone else by inverse order of age.

As a category 6, I would expect to receive a vaccine sometime next summer.
Priority order makes sense to me. I am also a category 6, but I don't expect the vaccine to be available to me for a year or more.

Our county's only hospital has what they call "limited testing availability", where they will only test those with symptoms. This is 8 months into the pandemic. Given the state of testing availability, I don't expect the vaccine availability to be much better.
Ronstar is online now   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
Yes, and the vaccine degrades fast above -94 F. So, problem with distribution and logistics. Novavax can match the efficacy in terms of antibodies and T cells and still be stored in regular refrigerator temperature. Maybe this is why the Pfizer CEO sold 62% of his shares on the day he announced the news a few days ago?

Well, in fairness, he filed to sell the shares in August. Which, of course makes the timing of the announcement a bit suspect. Surely he would not time it to maximize his share price
Old 11-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Maybe this is why the Pfizer CEO sold 62% of his shares on the day he announced the news a few days ago?
Sounds really strange to me...

Another interesting/odd tidbit of info...Albert Bourla, besides being the Pfizer CEO, is a veterinarian too.... He has had numerous leadership roles at Pfizer over the years, including their Animal Health division.... Interesting too that there has been a Canine coronvirus vaccine (just for dogs - not humans) for sometime now... Not sure who invented that, but....

If I start chasing cars or howling at the moon after I get this shot, I'll know why!
Old 11-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

It is reported that Pfizer/BioNTech have reached a deal with the EU to sell 300 million doses of the vaccine.

Quote:
Under the terms of the supply deal, the European countries will first purchase 200 million doses of the experimental coronavirus vaccine. Then, they will have the option to buy an additional 100 million, Pfizer said in a news release.

The European supply will come from BioNTech's manufacturing sites in Germany and Pfizer's site in Belgium. The EU deal follows agreements for 100 million doses in the U.S., 120 million doses in Japan and an undisclosed number of doses in Canada.
The price is not disclosed, but reportedly less than what the US will be paying. Cost to the US is said to be $19.50/shot.

See: https://www.investors.com/news/techn...es/?src=A00220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Interesting too that there has been a Canine coronvirus vaccine (just for dogs - not humans) for sometime now... Not sure who invented that, but....

If I start chasing cars or howling at the moon after I get this shot, I'll know why!
Or what you do at a fire hydrant.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 08:20 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is reported that Pfizer/BioNTech have reached a deal with the EU to sell 300 million doses of the vaccine.

The price is not disclosed, but reportedly less than what the US will be paying. Cost to the US is said to be $19.50/shot.

See: https://www.investors.com/news/techn...es/?src=A00220

Or what you do at a fire hydrant.
Only 100 million for the US? With two doses per person that is only 50 million people. At least twice that many will need and want the vaccine. Why only 100 million? I hope it's not gone by the time it gets to me(a relatively healthy 41 year old).
aaronc879 is offline   Reply
Old 11-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No. It was a pre-planned sale, not a decision made to time the news. Under SEC rules he can't legally trade with material inside info.
Montecfo is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2020, 06:36 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Well, in fairness, he filed to sell the shares in August. Which, of course makes the timing of the announcement a bit suspect. Surely he would not time it to maximize his share price

I know that it was scheduled long before, but my point was .. it was easy to time the announcement to that exact pre-arranged date. They could have announced it last week or today. 🥳
Old 11-12-2020, 06:42 AM   #176

Quote:
Dr. Faucci, in his CNN interview the other day, explicitly acknowledged this group in the context that, in his guesstimate, it will allow everyone who initially wants a vaccine to likely have access to it by the end of April 2021.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2020, 06:46 AM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I know that it was scheduled long before, but my point was .. it was easy to time the announcement to that exact pre-arranged date. They could have announced it last week or today. 🥳
That is true. If he were "holding" that news, until after the election for instance, releasing it no later than when he did would have been personally advantageous.

I am at this point unsure why it was not released in October. According to his prior statements they should have known by then.

Will be interesting to see if this draws scrutiny.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:47 AM   #178
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
No, because those could be bought/sold/forged etc. I expect that community mitigation activities will likely remain in place until we have actual results and the R0 rate drops dramatically.
How much better mitigation is there than having antibodies?
Old 11-12-2020, 07:06 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
That is true. If he were "holding" that news, until after the election for instance, releasing it no later than when he did would have been personally advantageous.

I am at this point unsure why it was not released in October. According to his prior statements they should have known by then.

Will be interesting to see if this draws scrutiny.
If "his" stock sale was timed to coincide with the announcement then that sounds like insider trading to me or at very least stock price manipulation. However, I suspect there are loopholes to get around that...

What concerns me is that (if) "anyone" would withhold the release of "such a vaccine" for political or monetary gain reasons...
Old 11-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Car-Guy,

Can't disagree that is what it looks like.
Closed Thread

Tags
multiple, shingles, shingrix, vaccine