Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Vaccines and hypersensitivity
Old 10-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vaccines and hypersensitivity

I'm generally quite pro-vaccine. I'm fully vaccinated against everything (including all the stuff you have to get to visit India), and my kids are also.

I had my annual physical yesterday and asked my doctor a question about how to determine which vaccine was best for me. I was mainly asking because I know that there are various vaccines in development that use different techniques and I thought he might think one kind was better than another.

He surprised me by recommending I hold off for about two years (!), not due to initial safety concerns or lack of initial efficacy, and not due to general anti-vaccination concerns. He specifically mentioned that sometimes a virus will have genetic drift over the course of a few years and then those who were vaccinated would have some sort of immune hypersensitivity to the virus which could be fatal. He either used the term "hypersensitivity" or "hyperactivity" - not sure which as he was in a hurry to get to his next patient.

I like to avoid fatal events as much as the next guy. I also am generally unimpressed by conspiracy theories and this sounded a bit conspiracy-theory-adjacent to me. I also think this guy is generally a good doctor, but I'm revisiting that opinion as well due to these comments.

Anyone know what he was referring to here, and know what the current medical knowledge and opinion is on this type of thing?
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe he mentioned antigenic drift? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigenic_drift

A couple of papers that may be reassuring:

A SARS-CoV-2 vaccine candidate would likely match all currently circulating variants https://www.pnas.org/content/117/38/23652

Low genetic diversity may be an Achilles heel of SARS-CoV-2 https://www.pnas.org/content/117/40/24614
cathy63 is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, cathy63.

The gist of his concern was not that the genetic drift (of whatever kind) of the virus would make a vaccine less effective. Rather, his concern was that somehow receiving the vaccine and then later being exposed to a slightly genetically different version of the virus would somehow result in the person's immune system going into overdrive and this overdriven immune response could result in a fatality. Metaphorically like blowing a car engine due to overheating, I suppose.

I'm not describing it well because it was a new concept to me and the doctor was rushing his explanation in order to get to his next patient. (In fairness to the doc it was my last question and he had already spent 45 minutes with me.)

It may help to know that he mentioned in his explanation that this effect had been seen with other vaccines and viruses (I think he mentioned MERS and SARS specifically). The effect would only show up years later, which is why he recommended waiting on the coronavirus vaccine.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:24 PM   #4
gone traveling

So if yo wait two years, shy couldn't the virus "drift" after that also?
gerntz is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
So if yo wait two years, shy couldn't the virus "drift" after that also?
Of course. I think his implication was that some vaccines had this problem and some didn't, so it was better to wait to see which ones did and which ones didn't. Or it could have been his position to at least wait and see if this problem occurs with these vaccines and this virus; if it does occur then it could affect one's risk/reward analysis and decision whether to be vaccinated.

Really I posted this thread hoping someone had at least also heard of this idea and could maybe point to some terms or articles or something so I could read more about it. I'm not defending the idea, just wanting to educate myself.

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 10-08-2020, 05:14 PM   #6

Your post sent me googling, and I found this from NIH about vaccines:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6602527/

As a non-medical person, it sort of sounds like how you know some people are sensitive to flu vaccines - and most are just barely (annoying/mild symptoms) but an incredibly small number experience serious symptoms (the article says something like 1.3 per million). It seems the article is lumping all vaccines together, but notes the flu as it's one of the bigger ones.

So to me it sounds like there's always going to be some risk with anything you put in your body, and, me personally, I'd take my odds with a vaccine vs getting covid (or staying home for another 2 years).
Aerides is offline   Reply
Old 10-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Your post sent me googling, and I found this from NIH about vaccines:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6602527/

As a non-medical person, it sort of sounds like how you know some people are sensitive to flu vaccines - and most are just barely (annoying/mild symptoms) but an incredibly small number experience serious symptoms (the article says something like 1.3 per million). It seems the article is lumping all vaccines together, but notes the flu as it's one of the bigger ones.

So to me it sounds like there's always going to be some risk with anything you put in your body, and, me personally, I'd take my odds with a vaccine vs getting covid (or staying home for another 2 years).
Thanks for the link.

I think I just need to call the doctor's office back and ask them for the information that I'm trying to find through a post on an early retirement board. ;-)

I generally agree with your last paragraph.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I would not accept some random doctor's recommendation that is way out of line with the experts. Doctors can be dumb about stuff outside their immediate expertise just like the rest of us. It is certainly worth trying to stay up to date on research findings and I would not question anyone who wants to wait a bit to get vaccinated but on strange opinions like this I would get a second and third opinion.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Back in my home town ("down town), they tore down a building that had experienced a fire. Next to the building was another building which still had an old painted bill board for cigarettes. Can't recall the exact message, but a doctor in full white coat and shiny reflector on his head was saying something like '4 out of 5 doctors choose XYXZX cigarettes.' IIRC the doc was holding a lit cigarette. My point, docs don't know everything. They have their opinions just like we do. Everything changes. AND YMMV.

I'll take the vaccine as soon as they will let me. I took one of the first polio vaccines so I guess it's in the blood. Again, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply
% effective
Old 10-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

% effective

The fact that the US vaccine program seems to set the bar at 60% bothers me a lot. The J&J vaccine was showing 100%, if that is approved that is what I would want.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The fact that the US vaccine program seems to set the bar at 60% bothers me a lot. The J&J vaccine was showing 100%, if that is approved that is what I would want.
Is there someplace to look up this info? Not even sure what to google. I too would like to go with the most effective vaccine if there is a choice. Thanks!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply
Old 10-18-2020, 05:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If the vaccine ends up working at 60% like a flu vaccine we will all be hunkering down with masks until they get good therapies.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Can't recall the exact message, but a doctor in full white coat and shiny reflector on his head was saying something like '4 out of 5 doctors choose XYXZX cigarettes.' IIRC the doc was holding a lit cigarette. My point, docs don't know everything. They have their opinions just like we do. Everything changes. AND YMMV.
Wouldn't you trust this young handsome doctor?

JoeWras is offline   Reply
Old 10-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Is there someplace to look up this info? Not even sure what to google. I too would like to go with the most effective vaccine if there is a choice. Thanks!
Here’s a recently published paper in Nature that gives an overview of vaccines in development. With so many candidates it may not be easy to decide. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2798-3.pdf
Quote:
there are currently more than 180 vaccines at various stages of development.
MichaelB is offline   Reply
Old 10-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
My guess is you'll be able to get multiple, different virus "attack" design vaccines & we could wind up on an ongoing once/twice per year regimen.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:37 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If the vaccine ends up working at 60% like a flu vaccine we will all be hunkering down with masks until they get good therapies.
Non-medical here, but isn't that low level due to the continuing, rapid mutations of the flu viruses? I.e., if this virus isn't so mutable, then I'd judge these vaccines would be more effective.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

From what I understand, nobody knows for certain or even a high percentage of certainty how effective any of these vaccines are.

Check out the 10/16/2020 Firing Line with Dr. Fauci.

This is one of the better and more thorough interviews of Dr. F that I have seen.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply
Old 10-18-2020, 11:33 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It's worth watching. He has a few inconsistencies, but I won't hold it against him and they are not worth discussing in a hot topic. I could have done without the snark from the interviewer once or twice, but overall, worth your time to watch.

One big take-away I had was that boosters may be needed. The good Dr. was humble to say multiple times he doesn't know everything and things are changing, but there's a good chance this virus may be one requiring boosters. This discussion came about because of the report of someone who got COVID a second time. This isn't the same as the yearly flu shot. It is more about reduced immune response as time goes on. Again, he was clear to point out this is all still being evaluated as we learn more. It is just one of many possibilities.

JoeWras is offline   Reply
Old 10-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm generally quite pro-vaccine. I'm fully vaccinated against everything (including all the stuff you have to get to visit India), and my kids are also.

I had my annual physical yesterday and asked my doctor a question about how to determine which vaccine was best for me. I was mainly asking because I know that there are various vaccines in development that use different techniques and I thought he might think one kind was better than another.

He surprised me by recommending I hold off for about two years (!), not due to initial safety concerns or lack of initial efficacy, and not due to general anti-vaccination concerns. He specifically mentioned that sometimes a virus will have genetic drift over the course of a few years and then those who were vaccinated would have some sort of immune hypersensitivity to the virus which could be fatal. He either used the term "hypersensitivity" or "hyperactivity" - not sure which as he was in a hurry to get to his next patient.

I like to avoid fatal events as much as the next guy. I also am generally unimpressed by conspiracy theories and this sounded a bit conspiracy-theory-adjacent to me. I also think this guy is generally a good doctor, but I'm revisiting that opinion as well due to these comments.

Anyone know what he was referring to here, and know what the current medical knowledge and opinion is on this type of thing?
Well I guess if you get the COVID and die in the two years you are waiting per doctor advice, the good Doc will say "my bad".
ivinsfan is online now   Reply
Old 10-18-2020, 12:36 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Wouldn't you trust this young handsome doctor?
Interesting. our small town family doctor when I was growing up was a 2 pack a day Camel plain tip cigarette smoker for many years. Our families were neighbors and very close-knit. That doctor dropped dead of a heart attack in his late 50's in the local hospital of all places. They said he was dead before he hit the floor. My father never smoked but succumbed to a heart attack at age 65. My mother smoked socially for many years but gave it up decades ago. She'll turn 99 in March.
Ian S is offline   Reply
Closed Thread