Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

The guy next to us in the SF Bay Area RV Park growing a nice victory garden on the front cap of motorhome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53B7FD79-C333-4CAE-AAD4-C3301C9C9220.jpg (571.6 KB, 27 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DH has so far brought me two trailer loads of compost, a trailer load of "gin trash" ( compost) and yesterday a trailer load of mulch. Harvested my first cuke yesterday. We should have a ton of squash by this weekend.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW bought bell pepper seeds in February and planted in our usual peat pots, none germinated.
She then took some seeds from some red peppers we bought at grocery store; they were poking through the dirt in 5 days. They're 12-15" now, but don't know if they'll produce peppers.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Big planting day today. We have a large family garden and this year it got even larger. The weather and soil conditions were just about perfect for planting, so we went ahead.

We planted potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, zucchinis, cucumbers, green beans, beets, celery, onions, shallots, green cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, kohlrabi, pumpkin, and Swiss chard. I probably missed something.

The garden is at higher altitude so we have a short growing season (hence the relatively late planting), but it is usually very productive.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #85
Administrator

Tomorrow, we will finally be able enter the community garden to tend our plot. Normal opening for the season is 4/1, but the lock-down order has kept us out. We are already several weeks behind in sowing the cool weather crops (beets, radishes, potatoes, carrots and cole crops), but I have been growing some in pots to transplant out, so we shall see how it goes. The tomatoes and peppers are under the lights for now. I won't take those out to the garden until after Memorial Day.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #86
Administrator

We have made the most of our first four days at our community garden plot. I doubled tilled the winter wheat under in every planting bed, edged them by hand to define the paths, shaped them to the proper profile and raked them. We transplanted out the cabbages, broccoli and artichokes I started from seed in January and have been growing in pots since (found out that last year's artichokes did not survive the winter). We also direct sowed carrots, beets, onions, potatoes, chard, dill, radishes, chick peas, lettuce and English peas. The tomato, basil, pepper, eggplant, zucchini, brussels sprouts and cucumber seeds are all up under the lights indoors, and I've moved a few to larger peat pots. I would expect to put the zucchini out in about a week and the rest after Memorial Day. I still need to direct sow corn, bush beans, winter squash, pumpkins, melons, okra and sweet potatoes. I released beneficial nematodes into the planting beds today. I'll need to buy tomatillos from the garden center. I had some to start from seed, but they are purple and the young wife wants only green tomatillos. I also need to buy a flat of marigolds
Old 05-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The lettuce bed is producing like mad, and the kale, radishes and lambsquarters are coming along well. The hops are already 7 feet tall. We picked some baby turnips for greens yesterday. I figure we have a couple more weeks before it gets hot and it is time to put the heat lovers in. I am going to have to source some hot pepper plants, everything else is set

Not quite a garden thing, but we have 58 quail eggs in the incubator to replenish our laying flock. The roosters will end up on the grill.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 05-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Polar vortex hit KY two days ago and wiped out most of the summer vegetables despite my covering everything with plastic pails and flower pots.

I've learned my lesson about pushing the season years ago but early May has always been safe. Oh well, hope the local greenhouse still has a good selection.
Closed Thread