Vitamin D might help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another video from Dr John Campbell in the UK about Vitamin D and immunity:

TLDW; Vitamin D is good for us if we don't get enough sun. Darker skinned people living in colder climates are most affected.

In our culture where symptomatic handling of disease via powerful, expensive pharmaceutical drugs (with the requisite nasty side effects) is the rule, we don't hear enough about the evidence that macronutrients and anti oxidants like Vitamin D, C, NAC, etc. play a critical role in keeping us healthy. Good for Dr. Campbell...hopefully the video won't be taken down by YouTube.

Due to my low Vit D levels in blood tests, my Dr has had me take D for the last several years. 1000 iu/day. I have been pretty well social distanced, but haven't caught it either.

Due to my low Vit D levels in blood tests, my Dr has had me take D for the last several years. 1000 iu/day. I have been pretty well social distanced, but haven't caught it either.

You need upwards of 5000 IU/day (from sun, food and supplements) to maintain a healthy Vitamin D status (25-hydroxy test). While the 1000 IU/day is helping, you should really get tested (if you haven't) to see how much it is helping. Labcorp and other labs usually show a reference range from around 20-100 ng/mL. However, if you're near 20 you are serverely deficient. Those ranges typically show 2 standard deviations of all people tested, and you know the bottom of that range are not people in good health. A good target is at least 50 ng/mL.

Last edited:
OMG! Please don’t post whole articles! Especially ones with reminders to join their newsletter or subscribe, etc. A short summary or brief quote with a link is appropriate.

And there are risks to taking very large doses of Vitamin D - you have to be careful.

Last edited:
Yes let your doc prescribe the dosage that suits exactly you. Don't self medicate.

You need upwards of 5000 IU/day (from sun, food and supplements) to maintain a healthy Vitamin D status (25-hydroxy test). While the 1000 IU/day is helping, you should really get tested (if you haven't) to see how much it is helping. Labcorp and other labs usually show a reference range from around 20-100 ng/mL. However, if you're near 20 you are serverely deficient. Those ranges typically show 2 standard deviations of all people tested, and you know the bottom of that range are not people in good health. A good target is at least 50 ng/mL.

There is much to unpack here.

Please no one take this statement as a reason to take excessive vitamin D! It's not a good idea to make such statements on a forum like this. Do you have expertise in this area that others do not have? Physicians and dietitians know that the actual amount of vitamin D we should get is not very clear and has been revised over the years based on new evidence. Before 1997 the RDA was 200 IU, then adjusted upward to 400 to 600 IU, with 800 IU recommended for those over 70 due to decreased absorption. Some supplementation makes sense for many people. But please don't go overboard by stating we need 5000 IU a day without any evidence to back it up. You could cause a lot more harm than good. And stating that 1000 IU/day might not be enough without any evidence to back it up is also potentially dangerous.

Vitamin D toxicity can result in fatigue, impaired cognition, dehydration, kidney stones, and hypercalcemia. Most are associated with taking more than 10,000 IU daily, but it can be seen with lower doses if one takes too much calcium as well. I had a friend who sustained permanent damage to her cognition and her kidneys due to the combination of slight excess vitamin D and excess calcium a few years ago, not just resulting in hypercalcuria, but also kidney stones, kidney infection as a result, and sepsis.

Next:

The link between surviving COVID-19 and having higher vitamin D levels is observational, and there may be no actual link at all. Population studies are also notorious for resulting in bad information. They picked two things, rate of vitamin D deficiency and COVID-19 mortality rate. Just because they seemed to track in parallel, that does not mean that the two are related at all. They could have compared the rate of blue eyes vs COVID-19 mortality or COVID-19 infection rates, for all that it means. Which is essentially, nothing.

There are studies linking low vitamin D levels with higher mortality in actual COVID-19 patients. But low vitamin D may be related to a different nutritional deficiency, one that no one has even thought of, as far as we know. One cannot assume a cause and effect relationship here either. And does the vitamin D level in the blood measured on a severely ill patient correlate with total body vitamin D level? Perhaps our vitamin D level in the blood drops acutely during many severe illnesses, but has that question even been explored? People are grasping for answers when they don't even know if researchers are asking the right question.

What is most disturbing is that there have been recommendations of taking excessive and dangerous doses of vitamin D during the pandemic. Please do not do this. Take a reasonable supplement if you wish, but if you have any concerns, please seek advice from your doctor.

Yes let your doc prescribe the dosage that suits exactly you. Don't self medicate.

Yeah. I know someone who decided to do calcium supplements, to supplement his keto diet because he read somewhere it was a good idea. HELLO KIDNEY STONES !!! He was not a happy camper for a while. Do a doctor visit and see if you really need something. Just randomly taking stuff because other individuals need it is not a good reason.

Good advice from EastWest Gal there.

I think people tend to forget about side effects. The more Vitamin D you take, the more calcium you'll retain, hence the caution about kidney stones.

I believe the best way to get your Vitamin D is to manufacture it yourself by getting time in the sun. Go for a walk in the sun at lunchtime, a few times a week.

And yet, last time I went grocery shopping the only Vitamin D available on the shelves was the large economy size.:D

I checked my multi-vitamin and my Calcium supplement- both have enough Vitamin D that I see no need to add to them.

I believe the best way to get your Vitamin D is to manufacture it yourself by getting time in the sun. Go for a walk in the sun at lunchtime, a few times a week.
That's what I thought. But then someone on the forum indicated those of us who are older can't produce Vitamin D as well as we could when we were younger this way, and it may not be sufficient. Still good to get outside for some sun and fresh air.

That's what I thought. But then someone on the forum indicated those of us who are older can't produce Vitamin D as well as we could when we were younger this way, and it may not be sufficient. Still good to get outside for some sun and fresh air.

Quite likely, but just because we're less efficient at Vitamin D production from sunlight doesn't mean we have no ability to do so. I've never seen that loss of efficiency quantified, so I doubt if it's well recognized. My gut feeling is that increasing the amount of sunlight I'm exposed to should go a long way toward making up any deficiency. Fortunately, I live where I can get enough sunlight most of the year. But those in Canada or the northern US certainly have a problem which is why supplemental Vitamin D is so often recommended or even prescribed.

Multiple posts were deleted that were off topic and interfering with the conversation.

I think people tend to forget about side effects. The more Vitamin D you take, the more calcium you'll retain, hence the caution about kidney stones.

My South Texas doc claims you won't get sufficient vitamin D without being outside all day, and not all covered up either.

Deficiency is the important aspect.
There is zero indication that boosting above normal does anything.
But, everyone is looking for the magic bullet.

I am betting the stores are (if not already sold out) selling out of Vitamin D supplements.

Many people over age 50-60 or so do not absorb Vitamin D from the sun very well anymore. Also, if you live in the northern half of the USA, you really can't get much Vitamin D from the sun for about 7-8 months of the year.

Also, it is recommended to take Vitamin K2 along with D3. K2 helps with moving calcium to the areas it is needed (bones, etc), and not to places like your arteries or kidneys.

I am not aware of any studies that showed that taking 5000IU of Vitamin D3 daily caused any serious damage to anyone. If anyone has found such a study, I'd like to see it. I am not saying that 5000IU is ideal for everyone, because it is probably not. You really need to have your blood level of Vitamin D3 checked (more than once), to see where you are at, and what level of supplementation (if any) gets you to the desired level.

I am taking Vitamin K2 along with D3.
But if you have any question about getting or making sufficient Vitamin D, you can get a blood test and find out just where you stand.
The articles I have read say that a high percentage of us are deficient in Vitamin D. Much of it having to do with our diverse population, people not living were their genes evolved. So it makes sense that some may need to supplement.

This is an interesting hypothesis. Anecdotally, I noticed that here in San Diego, many fewer homeless people contracted COVID-19 than might have been expected, and all that I can imagine they had in their favor was sufficient sun exposure.

This is an interesting hypothesis. Anecdotally, I noticed that here in San Diego, many fewer homeless people contracted COVID-19 than might have been expected, and all that I can imagine they had in their favor was sufficient sun exposure.

Really, because I was just telling DW, I shouldn't shower for a week or two, not shave, and forget to brush my hair.
Then I can go grocery shopping and everyone will keep their distance from me :LOL::LOL:

I've been taking vitamins D for about 10 years now after my Dr. mentioned that my levels were marginally low. However, vitamin D is not some magic pill for fighting Covid19. It is a small part of the many elements of a healthy diet. If you want a strong immune system simply live a normal healthy lifestyle of a balanced diet and exercise. It is more about avoiding the obvious dietary and life abuses such as too much junk food, alcohol, overwork, drug abuse, etc. You can easily asses your vitamin D level with a blood test and then follow your Dr's instructions.

Vitamin D magic .. NO but does it make a difference ( more research needed , but at least it rarely does extra harm in sensible doses )

@ a few dollars a month as insurance against SEVERE colds and flus , you will probably still get them but they MIGHT be less damaging and hopefully just mildly annoying

would you rather walk into a gunfight with a Kevlar vest or waving a white flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom