Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 05:34 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’m not as negative as Doc0 but I did sell VTI I bought on the dip, and will just stick the money in a MM account until there’s more stability. If we don’t get back to normalcy by fall, then it’s going to get ugly especially with elections ongoing.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Some folks keep talking about "Herd Immunity". How well has this worked for Ebola Virus, HIV, Rabies, Marburg virus, Small Pox, Influenza, Hanta Virus, Dengue, SARS CoV, Rotavirus, SARS CoV2, or Mers? I have not heard that "herd immunity" works for these. The only control for some of these is a vaccine. Does anyone have documented proof that "herd immunity" is responsible for the control of any of these deadly viruses.
Until there is a control mechanism of some kind for Covid-19 that includes accurate and fast detection with effective vaccines I don't see there being anything but a relapse in the medical arena with a corresponding relapse in the financial arena. And we have yet to hear much from countries in the southern hemisphere except for Australia.

Cheers!
It yet to be winter in the south. Wuhan is at the latitude of Atlanta. Those other viruses never reached pandemic status. Covid-19 is much better at infection than the others. HIV fro example is blood and sexual transmission so pretty hard to pass. The reason it became endemic in the gay population was promiscuity. In the IV drug abuse community was needle sharing, highly dangerous but low volume prospects on a herd immunity plane. Sars was deadly but not that good at transmission. Mers was even more deadly but not that great at transmission. Covid-19 can last for half a day on the handle of a gas pump handle. It is extremely good at transmission. Air travel was the mix master that got it started world wide. If China had been honest it could have been stopped and localized by a hard quarantine on air travel. Instead the narrative that human to human transmission was not possible and it was strictly animal to human was promulgated by China.

Entire choirs have gotten the disease with multiple deaths just by singing in each others presence. In Korea the original super infection was in a church where they did several hours of praise and worship singing. 1 person walked in, sung her ass off and 250 walked out with the infection. Spread is not just by droplet but airborne as well. Small pox is a better example of herd immunity, so is mumps and measles. They are HIGHLY invective and the only way they were solved was by inoculation UNTIL there was herd immunity. Since we no longer vaccinate that disease has some real probability of recurrence. I've seen pictures of cases of small pox walk across the southern boarder, so it's not 100% gone. Small pox as a novel infection nearly wiped out native American tribes in some places.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:51 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, smallpox is gone, except for a few vials in a freezer here in Atlanta and a few more in Russia. No, you haven’t seen real, current picture of smallpox “cases” (I think you meant people with smallpox, not luggage) crossing the border. It was a pretty good response up to that point though.
Closed Thread