Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd564 View Post
Do all of you realize food is still available?

Grocery stores are pretty well stocked.
Supply chain has been robust.
TP has been missing consistently, but other than that, same as normal?

Even restaurants are open for take out.

Are you using old stored food just to rotate stock?
Grocery stores may be well stocked where you live but where live many things are out of stock-- not much meat, no chicken, no hamburger, no canned soups, etc. If your grocery is well stocked you are lucky. We do have a few restaurants still open but its is mainly fast food and pizza. All the restaurants that I enjoy have closed.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I am trying to minimize my trips to the grocery store. I am also cutting expenses for the time being. The one area I KNOW I can do that is with food. I enjoy the challenge of "cook like a peasant, eat like a king." I made a beautiful apple walnut bread today with some apples past their prime. My ancestresses approved.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Minimizing as much as possible my trips to the store. What I have, I have. I got some groceries this week via delivery, but I am not assured of a continued supply while we are in pandemic mode.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 04-04-2020, 03:00 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Absolutely wrong, in many places. Where ever you live, consider yourself lucky. No ground beef, chicken, eggs, low on many cheeses, baking supplies, dairy (cottage cheese, unsugared yogurt, sour cream), canned vegetables and fruit, and even some of the frozen vegetables. Unless you're willing to live on packaged frozen pizza and hot pockets, there's not a lot of food available.

And as we're eating keto there's not much to choose from at restaurants, even if I wanted to take a chance on food someone else prepared. I'd do pizza, but we don't eat it.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:13 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Absolutely wrong, in many places. Where ever you live, consider yourself lucky. No ground beef, chicken, eggs, low on many cheeses, baking supplies, dairy (cottage cheese, unsugared yogurt, sour cream), canned vegetables and fruit, and even some of the frozen vegetables. Unless you're willing to live on packaged frozen pizza and hot pockets, there's not a lot of food available.
Availability varies a lot from day to day here. I live within walking distance of a chain grocery store, so I probably shop more often than many people because I don't buy more than I can carry home, and it's been different every time I've been in there for the past few weeks. Yesterday they had lots of milk, eggs (first time I've seen those in a while), fresh meat and most other dairy products. The yogurt supply was sparse and they didn't have the exact brand we like, but there were acceptable substitutes. I was shocked to walk into the frozen food aisle though and see it completely empty; literally an entire aisle of empty freezers with just the price tags on the shelves! So at least here, if you wanted to live on frozen pizza and hot pockets for the next week, you'd have been completely out of luck.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #86

Quote:

I don't know what planet you're on, but the stores here are stripped.
I'm beginning to think your only purpose here is trolling for your own amusement.
I just came back from buying just-about-ready-to-throw-out produce from a restaurant that is giving up after trying to survive on take-out only for 3 weeks. $1/pound. Had to toss 1 of the 2 onions as it was rotted. I did score 15ish lbs of solid potatoes that I haven't been able to buy in 3 weeks (and I used to pay $0.65/pound for).

I've lost 20lbs since this started 1 month ago... to the point I'm going to have to buy new belts and jeans.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

For now where you are.

I've been able to buy some meats and have some delivered but we'd still like fresh produce when it's available.

Where we live there's no curbside or delivery. If someone is sick but not under care they have no choice but to get their own food. Why would I want to make myself go more often to a place where anyone can be sick? Add into that the fact we have 8 hospital beds in the county, none of them are ICU .
Old 04-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Stores in my area while not up to normal are decently stocked. If you must have BigName canned green beans instead of the store brand wax beans that may be an issue. Same goes for meat, it’s there but maybe not the cut. you want.

My area was among the first to be hit by CV19. In the past two weeks the stores have recovered quit a bit. Same planet, different state.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I don't know what planet you're on, but the stores here are stripped.
Uranus.

- George Orwell

Old 04-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Uranus.
Deep fried or smoked?
Old 04-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Deep fried or smoked?
Beer batter.

- George Orwell

Old 04-04-2020, 08:12 PM   #92

The only thing here that is not in stock is TP, flour and yeast. However, the fresh meat case is empty, but the shelves are full. During the first couple days, the milk, egg and butter cases were empty but are stocked now.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #93

I made Date and Walnut buttermilk scones this morning. My wife suggested this for her breakfast so I made enough for her and a friend who is recovering from major surgery. I don't have clotted cream so she had to use butter and apricot jam with her scones. It's important to have a little treat occasionally to lift your spirits.

Cheers!
Old 04-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

Not here...

Cannot buy for past 3 weeks.
  • TP,
  • paper towels,
  • paper plates,
  • Beef,
  • Chicken,
  • Pork.
  • Potatoes

Now can get sometimes:
  1. chicken (frozen only),
  2. frozen fish fillets (probably as never a popular item),
  3. eggs,
  4. various canned stuff,
  5. potatoes.

Nicely, around here, milk has always been available.

It was so bad until last week, I started to think we would be eating rice and dried beans in a few weeks as I have 20lbs of rice.

Last week I got 6lbs of froz chicken, this week NONE available.. but I got 4lbs of frozen fish fillets.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:16 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

DH bought a red cabbage last week, so I adapted my German red cabbage to the instant pot, plus left out any added sugar and used only half the apples - Granny Smith apples. It came out very good!

Now I need to get those smoked pork chops out of the freezer....
Old 04-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #96
gone traveling

Are you people in rural areas or metros?

I'm in a major suburb so maybe that's the difference. I have a choice of several stores within a couple miles of me, and first stop had everything but eggs and toilet paper.
I picked up sliced ham, 1 lb of ground beef, and a big beef roast. I could have grabbed 10 of each but this will last us for another week.

Maybe I need to take pictures next time so I'm not "trolling".

I don't know why there would be such a difference in stores so I assume it's a rural vs suburb thing?

Or maybe your area has more hoarding going on yet.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:35 PM   #97

Quote:
Are you people in rural areas or metros?

I'm in a major suburb so maybe that's the difference. I have a choice of several stores within a couple miles of me, and first stop had everything but eggs and toilet paper.
I picked up sliced ham, 1 lb of ground beef, and a big beef roast. I could have grabbed 10 of each but this will last us for another week.

Maybe I need to take pictures next time so I'm not "trolling".

I don't know why there would be such a difference in stores so I assume it's a rural vs suburb thing?

Or maybe your area has more hoarding going on yet.
I know you are not a troll. I live in a small city 20 miles east of SF. There were pallets of TP at the 99c store Friday. No shortage of eggs at Grocery Outlet. I don't even have to go to Safeway for anything except cream (I prefer a longer pull date)

If the discount stores run out of fresh produce (yes they marked it up by $1 lb) I can still hit farmers markets in the next city (Shadelands Walnut Creek)
Old 04-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

It appears that different areas of the country, or perhaps even different spots of a metropolitan area have different experiences.

I have not been to a grocery store in more than a week. but the last time I was there, there was plenty of food. Some particular items were out, such as large 3-lb packages of carrots, but smaller 1-lb packages were available. There was plenty of meat, beef, pork, chicken, you name it.

We will need to go to Walmart today to pick up a prescription drug for my MIL. Will see what the situation is there now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-05-2020, 01:40 PM   #99

I tried making a juice pyramid but it was too unstable so I just topped it with milk boxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg apple-juice-milk-pyramid.JPG (52.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-05-2020, 01:43 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

We took advantage of a great area meat market and filled up the deep freeze in the shed. That way we don’t have to go shopping for meat/poultry for a good long time.

We’re out in rural country.