Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
cast iron is awesome for cooking... can cook with it on the stove, on the grill, briquettes, over a fire, etc that aluminum or stainless steel could get damaged with. What's a little soot on a black iron pan?
Since everybody is a prepper (camper) now... I'm selling the duplicates in my Lodge cast iron camp oven collection.
+1

I bought a 10" Lodge after I bought a sous vide around Christmas. I wish I would have made the discovery earlier. Cast iron is so nice as long as you play by its rules.

I made high altitude cornbread in ours and it was great. I'm going to try cast iron brownies soon.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromit View Post
"Just add your ingredients and Supercook instantly finds matching recipes from the most popular cooking websites!"

https://www.supercook.com/#/recipes

That’s really cool. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Just add your ingredients and Supercook instantly finds matching recipes from the most popular cooking websites!"

Whoah this is really interesting. Thank you.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Been freezing the overripe bananas we didn't eat. DW used them to make 4 loaves of really good banana bread - breakfast of champions!
This! Enjoying the smell of 2 dozen wonderful banana muffins that just came out of the oven. And all that ground beef went into meat balls which are cooking in the sauce that is going to go with some of the pasta! Though I must admit that I already had stockpiled 7 cases of tomato sauce about 18 months ago (now down to just less than 3 cases) when it went on killer sale!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Some of this stuff sounds good. Don’t forget that there’s an “ER Forum Cookbook”! It’s a sticky under Other Topics.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Hey, lemon bread must have Vitamin C!
That’s healthy enough for me.
We had it with lox/bagels/cream cheese, salad, and mimosas. So that covers veggies, dairy, oranges, & grapes. Got my 'vitamins' in [emoji16]
Old 03-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #27

I've been stretching everything... was thinking of starting a "beyond recycling dryer sheets thread".

One of the ways to stretch food is I'm skipping breakfast and only eating 2 meals a day (cereal and milk is hard to find). I'm starving by the time lunch comes around. If I have to go out to conduct business at the lawyers office I'll go ahead and eat breakfast so that I can think straight and quiet the noises from my stomach. I can't loose too much weight before the stores re-open as I'd have to buy skinnier clothes.

Last night we made a large pot of stew. It was really tough mentally to prepare it knowing that I won't be able to replace the potatoes, canned tomatoes, vegetables, and beef that went in it... those store shelves are stripped. Looking ahead I'll probably serve the stew over rice (which I have plenty of) to stretch it further.

This is really taking the fun out of watching anything on Food Network. We used to watch a lot of it to get recipe ideas.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Split pea soup and lentil stew, made with a bit of chicken and whatever fresh veggies we have in the house. I also have a lot of pasta and sauce, to which I add whatever chopped veggies are available, plus some canned clams or oyster.

Our local store was out of eggs, but I was able to make fried rice with rice, veggies, sesame seeds and some weird liquid egg product that was mostly eggs and actually didn't taste half bad.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #29

Looks like mostly meat eaters. DW has been using Cookie & Kate recipes. All have been good. Tonight was Roasted Vegetable Enchilada.
Not from the C&K which was really good too was West African Peanut Stew. We are buying NY Strip steaks on sale this week for a dinner soon.

All the time and little rush has made dinner even better! Breakfast and lunch, too.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wonder of it will crash if I put in muskrat?

DD1 made hot cross buns yesterday. I make bread every few days, did candied bacon over the weekend, nixtamalized blue corn and made pupusas, and tonight was chana masala. Tomorrow will be venison shwarma kebobs on the grill.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 03-30-2020, 08:52 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

DD, who is staying with us while sheltering in place, made bagels for the first time. Delicious! I'm looking forward to her next experiment.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Tonight I roasted bone-in chicken breasts (bought on Saturday). We had chicken, Brussel sprouts, and red bell pepper soup.

I encourage the family to eat leftovers for lunch, or when they prefer leftovers instead of my dinner plans.

Right now, I have leftover
chicken fried rice, (1 serving)
white chili, (1 serving)
pasta shells,
rice,
shredded chicken breast,
red pepper soup,
tilapia, (1 serving)
bacon, and
pork-with-sauerkraut.

So, my plan:
Tues - leftovers + asparagus/bacon quiche.
Wed - leftovers + BBQ chicken sandwiches
Thur - leftovers + carne asada beef (pulled from freezer) + rice
Fri - leftovers + pasta e fagioli, breadmaker bread
Sat - leftovers + frozen pizza? tamales from freezer?
Sun - leftovers + smoked ribs (bought last Saturday; vacuum sealed; long outdate)
Mon - leftovers + chili (memo: thaw hamburger and soak beans)

I have to use up 3 bagged salads and a pound of asparagus this week. Also clementines and apples. Have rice and baking potatoes, from regular Sam's Club purchases, but I'm low on bread flour.

I have a large freezer that I stuff with things I've bought on sale. DH and DD have been telling me that we need to eat down the freezer, so it's happening. I really hope I'll find a nice corned beef or two in the bottom of that freezer.

If no one goes out for fresh produce, I'll have to try supercook to see what I can make with canned pineapple and green beans!
Old 03-31-2020, 03:42 AM   #33

Getting six meals out of a cornish hen - 2 with just the meat, 4 with a chicken/spinach quiche. I'm the only eater, and I don't mind eating the same thing several days in a row.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:33 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

So far I have been eating pretty normally and I haven't had to be creative yet.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:47 AM   #35

With our 1/2 beef coming at the end of April, some freezer space needed "freed up". DW made a great bone broth with half of last year's bones. It hasn't been a cold winter so we didn't make much soup, or chili for that matter. I had about 15# of wild blackberries frozen, hoping to get 25# to make a 6 gallon batch of blackberry wine. The local grocer had blackberries, BYG2F, so I bought 10#. I threw in a few frozen overripe bananas to add complexity (whoops, I let out a top secret ingredient), it has fermented nicely and should be done by Thursday. The bags of frozen garden tomatoes blended with herbs from the garden make great skillets with chicken, pork or walleye. We had a great octopus/chorizo/potato skillet last night.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:29 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I also had a turkey breast in the freezer that I am thawing out. I cook the turkey breast in the crockpot. I baste it with Italian Dressing. Yum. We will also eat it for several dinners and lunches.

Last week, we went to Trader Joe’s looking for peanut butter and rye bread, which we found. Impulse bought a fresh Kosher turkey breast.

Greek-style rub (olive oil, lemon juice, and lots of oregano) + 225F smoke on the pellet grill = absolute heaven!

Should have bought more than 1...
Old 03-31-2020, 12:08 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Everyone is stocking up or trying to acquire food.
We're not. We're eating the same as always. We just go grocery shopping once a week where we used to shop several times a week.

I'm looking forward to the day when "everyone" quits hoarding various items (hoarders have to run out of room, fear or money eventually) so we can all shop without shortages.

I wonder how much gas people are wasting, and how much more exposure we're getting having to go from store to store (instead of just one) or multiple trips looking for what we need?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-31-2020, 01:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We're not. We're eating the same as always. We just go grocery shopping once a week where we used to shop several times a week.

I'm looking forward to the day when "everyone" quits hoarding various items (hoarders have to run out of room, fear or money eventually) so we can all shop without shortages.
I'm not stocking up either. Just shopping once a week and getting whatever is in stock that I can make meals from. I also have my "always full" pantry. I (used to) shop the sales and buy 3 months worth of sale items (3 months tends to be the sale cycle). I am replenishing things that I have totally run out of (last night I used my last package of egg noodles). No hoarding here.

Like you I look forward to the day when the hoarders realize they have enough so that the store shelves look normal again. The idea of getting to the store at it's opening to line up to *hopefully* get a few rolls of TP is just ridiculous.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Like you I look forward to the day when the hoarders realize they have enough so that the store shelves look normal again. The idea of getting to the store at it's opening to line up to *hopefully* get a few rolls of TP is just ridiculous.
Amen. They have to run out of money, fear or storage room eventually. It IS ridiculous, and purely selfish.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 03-31-2020, 01:36 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Here in our county the stay at home rule says you can only go to the grocery store once a week, not sure how that can be enforced but it may prevent some people from going to the grocery every day or so.
Closed Thread