What are you making from all the food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRG

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Everyone is stocking up or trying to acquire food. In some cases we don't find what we're wanting due to supply shortages. I've been taking the opportunity to try different ways to prepare foods that may have unique ingredients. What are you doing? Any great recipes for beans and rice?

For example a first for me was a cast iron skillet pizza. Never made one before in a 450° pan; easier than expected I escaped with zero burns. Couldn't find pizza sauce but I had a couple jars of pesto sauce. [emoji6]

Yesterday I grilled a chicken so we have two dinners from it and maybe I'll make some soup from the rest. Certainly have a lot of ingredients around.

What unusual things are you putting together or techniques are you trying?

cast iron is awesome for cooking... can cook with it on the stove, on the grill, briquettes, over a fire, etc that aluminum or stainless steel could get damaged with. What's a little soot on a black iron pan? ;)
Since everybody is a prepper (camper) now... I'm selling the duplicates in my Lodge cast iron camp oven collection.

Last edited:
Bread, lemon pound cake today. I'm going to waste some lemons because I don't know what else to do with them. I'm going to try to get the gardeners to take them.

Been freezing the overripe bananas we didn't eat. DW used them to make 4 loaves of really good banana bread - breakfast of champions!

I sliced up a whole pork loin yesterday, and here is what is on the future menu:
Yesterday- Sweet & Sour Pork
The blade end will be a 2 pound roast. Served with mashed potatoes and gravy.
The loin end will be made into pulled pork.
There are two 1# packages that are cut into chunks for soup or stew. From the loin end.
There are 4 packages of chops (2 @ 8oz) that we will prepare as chops.

I've been trying to perfect my version of rösti (a Swiss roasted potato dish). Found some raclette cheese in the store last week, which is a Swiss cheese specifically made for melting over potatoes, so the combination is quite a treat for me. Also experimenting a bit with Korean barbeque.

Strangely, the self-quarantining sees us eating less than usual, so we're actually dropping a couple of pounds without trying. That's the kind of side effect I can live with.

Bread, lemon pound cake today. I'm going to waste some lemons because I don't know what else to do with them. I'm going to try to get the gardeners to take them.

Fresh lemons can be frozen. I have a couple I'm going to freeze, after removing the zest and freezing that. Then I'll quarter the lemons, open freeze them, and throw them in a bag.

I made a bean salad for lunch yesterday, and will be making a chicken/spinach quiche today. My winter spinach patch just won't stop producing.

Funny- I was thinking that going to the grocery store is like being on an episode of "Chopped". You are given certain limited ingredients and have to make meals from that.

Tonight I am making "turkey ala king" with the leftover fresh veggies we've had from the past week (which I have been freezing for later use). I always have turkey in the freezer as I stock up during Thanksgiving week, usually buying 8 - 10 turkeys. This year I "only" bought 6 turkeys since I decided to leave them whole instead of cooking and deboning them to save freezer space.

Tonight's meal will include egg noodles which I had in the pantry. Alas I'm sure I won't find those in the store again for quite some time.

I bought peanuts last week to use in a meal. I never buy peanuts, but I saw a recipe for thai cauliflower peanut lettuce wraps so I will make that. Most of the ingredients I already had on hand.

Strangely, the self-quarantining sees us eating less than usual, so we're actually dropping a couple of pounds without trying. That's the kind of side effect I can live with.

Exactly the opposite effect for me. I'm stress eating and gaining weight. Eventually I will run low on food and will be put on a 'forced-diet'

I made a Brunswick stew today using canned lima beans, leftover tomato paste (from having marinara sauce on the weekend), and a tiny bit of chicken. It was delicious. Very hearty.

For example a first for me was a cast iron skillet pizza.

We made our first cast iron skillet pizza a few weeks back after seeing a recipe on Youtube. We have to fine tune it as it ended up a bit too "crispy" on the bottom.

cast iron is awesome for cooking...

Our cast iron pan is my favourite pan.

I've been trying to perfect my version of rösti (a Swiss roasted potato dish).

We fell in love with rosti after a trip to Bern. Delicious.

Limited meats in the grocery so Lots of instapot meals: beans, soups--great for leftovers or veggies past their prime.
Quinoa casseroles with veggies and cheese (everything is better with cheese!)
Fried rice
tried Spam musubi with a can of spam I found in the cupboard when cleaning--not expired, wasn't too bad!
The internet is a great place to find recipes--put in a few ingredients and get a recipe!
In my Last order pick up from the store, I was able to get chicken, beef. So hopefully the re-stocking is better.

I baked a turkey breast . We then had several turkey meals ,plus sandwiches , turkey tetrazini and turkey soup . I am making my food last .

I baked a turkey breast . We then had several turkey meals ,plus sandwiches , turkey tetrazini and turkey soup . I am making my food last .

I also had a turkey breast in the freezer that I am thawing out. I cook the turkey breast in the crockpot. I baste it with Italian Dressing. Yum. We will also eat it for several dinners and lunches.

I am making my food last .

Same here. I am having 2 meat meals a week, and one of them is from my stash of Thanksgiving sale turkeys. The rest of the week is veggies and potatoes. Pasta is hard to find and rice is impossible to find which is starting to freak me out since 1/2 of my dogs food is homemade using rice which is one of the few things she can safely eat given her multitude of medical needs.

cast iron is awesome for cooking... can cook with it on the stove, on the grill, briquettes, over a fire, etc that aluminum or stainless steel could get damaged with. What's a little soot on a black iron pan? ;)
Since everybody is a prepper (camper) now... I'm selling the duplicates in my Lodge cast iron camp oven collection.
+1

I bought a 10" Lodge after I bought a sous vide around Christmas. I wish I would have made the discovery earlier. Cast iron is so nice as long as you play by its rules.

I made high altitude cornbread in ours and it was great. I'm going to try cast iron brownies soon.

Been freezing the overripe bananas we didn't eat. DW used them to make 4 loaves of really good banana bread - breakfast of champions!
This! Enjoying the smell of 2 dozen wonderful banana muffins that just came out of the oven. And all that ground beef went into meat balls which are cooking in the sauce that is going to go with some of the pasta! Though I must admit that I already had stockpiled 7 cases of tomato sauce about 18 months ago (now down to just less than 3 cases) when it went on killer sale!

Some of this stuff sounds good. Don’t forget that there’s an “ER Forum Cookbook”! It’s a sticky under Other Topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom