Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 01:08 PM   #81
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have bookmarked a couple of websites for ordering groceries to be delivered. Don't need it yet but might want it soon.

I've cancelled my motorhome trip to Denmark over Easter after the Danes closed their borders until mid April.

And I'm wondering if people are slow or just don't care. The government issued a general travel ban in Norway to stop the virus from spreading. And told people to work from home if they could. The next thing that happened was that people drove to their cabins. Usually in a county or three away from their homes.

The small counties with all the cabins said on the news Please return - we do not have medical capacity if you get ill. But people ignored them. The Prime Minister pledged. But only a few returned. Now they are setting in the National Guard to knock on doors and tell people to go home.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I have bookmarked a couple of websites for ordering groceries to be delivered. Don't need it yet but might want it soon.

I've cancelled my motorhome trip to Denmark over Easter after the Danes closed their borders until mid April.

And I'm wondering if people are slow or just don't care. The government issued a general travel ban in Norway to stop the virus from spreading. And told people to work from home if they could. The next thing that happened was that people drove to their cabins. Usually in a county or three away from their homes.

The small counties with all the cabins said on the news Please return - we do not have medical capacity if you get ill. But people ignored them. The Prime Minister pledged. But only a few returned. Now they are setting in the National Guard to knock on doors and tell people to go home.

That's human nature. People think bad things only happen to somebody else. They themselves are impervious.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
"Calling sengsational....Ralph Lauren on line two."
Already? I'm not even done yet! It's getting there, though. Now I've got one-handed delivery....found a pump on a soap bottle that happened to fit. I can curl my fingers over the spout and push down with my palm to deliver the goo into my hand. Who says pandemics can't be just a little bit fun (at times)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200314_152235603.jpg (470.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

^^^ But, but, but how is that not interfering with the seat belt when you drive?

I just carry my little 4-oz bottle of bleach in my shirt pocket, along with a few sheets of disposable kitchen towel.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

sengsational, quickest draw squirt east of the Mississippi.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
HEB, our local grocery chain, announced it would reduce hours to 8am - 8pm daily (normally 6am to midnight) to allow overnight restocking. Photos of empty shelves are all over Facebook.
Popped into our local one today, and the shelves of cleaning products were empty! Even laundry detergent was almost out of stock. I should have looked at the section of canned goods.

I got a call from one of my Dad’s sitters two days ago that they were running out of cleaning supplies for my Dad’s room and hoping I could find some here to bring. We’re basically taking all the cleaning supplies we have at our house with us. Can’t buy any.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #87
Administrator

My sister was tested today

My sister told me that after getting home from work yesterday (Friday) she was SUPER tired. This morning she was still fatigued but now had a low fever, cough, slight pain when breathing and a Lupus rash.

Standing instructions here are NOT to go to a doctor’s office or hospital if you have Covid19 like symptoms so she called the NHS hotline for this. The nurse advised her to self isolate. 5 minutes later a doctor called and told her to report to ward 15 at our local hospital. I asked her which entrance she went in because I know the hospital well. She said it had a dedicated entrance and when she went in everyone was in full hazmat gear. Swabs were taken and she was examined. Tests came back as negative for Covid19 but positive for pleurisy.

Having Lupus she is in the category of getting seriously ill should she get Covid19 so it was a big worry, even though there are no confirmed cases yet in our post code.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #88

^ Scary situation. Glad it wasn't what you feared it was.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
sengsational, quickest draw squirt east of the Mississippi.
How many squirts until he has to refill? Can he squirt with abandon?

Old 03-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Wow! ^to Alan’s post.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
How many squirts until he has to refill?
From the photo I'd say it was at least a six-squirter.
Old 03-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I plan to go grocery shopping today. Luckily I'm not picky or a big eater so if all I get is a 10lb bag of rice, sugar, coffee and a multi vitamin I think I'll be fine.
Good luck with the rice. I went to the local Aldi's to get a few items for dinner tonight. Rice was one of them. All large bags of rice were gone. All small bags of plain rice were gone. They did have some boxes of pilaf, and a few boxes of minute rice.

Looked down the aisle with paper goods and cleaning supplies. The shelves were 3/4 empty.

OTOH, there was plenty of milk, eggs, fresh produce, meat and chicken. They also had signs saying they would be closing early for the next few weeks, in order to re-stock. So, it sounds to me, there is plenty in the warehouse, they just have a delivery and stocking issue (probably since the normal deliveries are based on historic sales, and this is unusual)
Old 03-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think it's higher than that. It is more like an AK-47 with a 30-round magazine.

Our kind friend may do a test for us, but he needs to fill it with blanks (water) in order to not waste the precious and unobtainable sanitizer gel.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #94

The wife informed me she has been buying extra the last couple of trips to the store. This is what happens when you marry up.

Today we finally did a big, hopefully last stock-up run. In WalMart we were greeted by a masked employee who had a bottle of disinfectant in one hand and a rag in the other. She proceeded to wipe down the cart handle. While she did that, we both took advantage of the bottle of hand sanitizer on the nearby table.

There was plenty of toilet paper, and we picked up one 30-pack, which should last us like four months. The disinfecting wipes shelf was empty. No hand sanitizer to be found either.

We are now set for a bit.

Locally, the annual cultural fair has been postponed. Last year 50,000 people came to town for it, but the hotel bookings were lagging behind last year by about 50%. Ricky Martin cancelled his tour for all Mexico locations. Other local festivals are under review. A local business park for Chinese companies was due for groundbreaking in early April, now postponed until the end of May. The 35th annual Guadalajara Film Festival is postponed.

So far in our fair state of Zacatecas eight people have been tested, all negative.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:23 PM   #95

COVID news for today is that MIL, who is in memory care, is in lock down. DW went to see her today and, not unexpectedly, was not able to go into the facility. The last time DW visited, they took her temp before letting her in. This time no one was there. Just locked doors and a note explaining the situation. By order of the Governor. . .
Old 03-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hope he doesn't find himself out and about, in sudden need of a squirt, and realize:

" I wonder. Did I fire six shots or only five'? Well, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track. But being that this is the most sensationalized virus in the world, and could put you in quarantine for 14 days, I've got to ask myself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' "

Well, do ya?

-ERD50
Old 03-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #97

Nothing that really affects us. This being a weekend and with all the other reported craziness going on I'm not going anywhere near a grocery store. "The Plan" is to maybe try an early-morning run next Tuesday, say 0200 hours, if the store is open (they're normally open 24/7) and see if I can get what we need then without dealing with crowds. The schools for three counties around are closed, as is Shepherd University.

So far as I know WV has had zero reported cases but as has been suggested maybe that's because there aren't any testing kits or tests being done in the state.

Next time I'll know to be one of the early crazies and buy a pickup truck load of TP at the first report of any anomaly in the alignments of the stars and planets.

But I'm sure that in the long run, this too shall pass.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:44 PM   #98

My 78 year old friend flew to Palm Desert for the big tennis tournament that was cancelled. We had planned to get together, but I told her I had cancelled all social plans. She thinks it is all a lot of hype. I sent her a few paragraphs from an article about what is happening in Italy. She ended up flying back today because she was afraid they would cut domestic travel. SMH.
What was your COVID news for the day?
Old 03-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #99
Moderator Emeritus

What was your COVID news for the day?

Our road trip rolled into Las Vegas. DW is wiping the room clean now. Bellagio has sanitizer dispensers near the elevators, at the check in desk, and other places. And placards telling how to stay safe. More people here than what I expected.

ETA - Apple store in Caesars shops is closed to customers but employees are inside and the lights are on, doors closed.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

But I'm sure that in the long run, this too shall pass.
Yep. I hope when it does you have some TP left to clean up afterwards.