Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #1101
Gone but not forgotten

I am surprised they are not running out of oxygen concentrators . It seems almost everyone who gets it is sent home on oxygen .Plus they already have all the people who are routinely on home oxygen . THe oxygen supply companies must be going nuts .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2020, 07:11 PM   #1102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am surprised they are not running out of oxygen concentrators . It seems almost everyone who gets it is sent home on oxygen .Plus they already have all the people who are routinely on home oxygen . THe oxygen supply companies must be going nuts .
We'll, scuba diving demand is probably lower....
Old 04-06-2020, 07:15 PM   #1103

Everyone in my company has been w#rking from home for three weeks now.

This afternoon our company president emailed us to say that given the new advisory from the CDC they have ordered 5 cloth masks for every employee and contractor (150+ people) and they will be delivered to our home addresses on Wednesday.

When I'm feeling charitable, I say "Hey, that's really nice and thoughtful of them. They care about us."

When I'm feeling like my usual cynical self I say "Hey, they REALLY want us to keep w#rking!"
Old 04-06-2020, 09:20 PM   #1104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
When she said "We'll meet again", the Queen was quoting the famous Vera Lynn song of that title. Another famous song of Vera Lynn from WW2 was "There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover".

I often forget who my audience is here. Sorry about that

Sounded familiar, but I had to look it up. Holy Cow! Vera Lynn recently turned 103 years old!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Lynn

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1836...n-quotes-song/

Quote:
Dame Vera, 103, told The Argus she had no idea the Queen would finish by quoting her.

“I watched The Queen’s speech last night with the rest of the country and the world and it was wonderful,” she said.

“ I didn’t know that Her Majesty was going to finish up with the words ‘We will meet again’.

“But I think those words speak to the hope we should all have during these troubling times.

“I hope everyone will feel encouraged by Her Majesty’s words, and that we can all continue to work together to get through this.”

Dame Vera previously called on Sussex residents to “weather the storm” of the coronavirus as she celebrated her 103rd birthday last month.

In her Sunday speech the Queen compared coronavirus isolation to the loneliness many faced during the Second World War.

“It reminds me of the very first broadcast I made, in 1940, helped by my sister,” she said.
-ERD50
Old 04-07-2020, 02:06 AM   #1105
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Sounded familiar, but I had to look it up. Holy Cow! Vera Lynn recently turned 103 years old!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Lynn

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1836...n-quotes-song/

-ERD50
She was still releasing records in her 90s and at age 97 became the oldest artist ever to make number 1 in the UK record charts with a compilation album marking a 100 years since the start of WW 1.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:56 AM   #1106
Give me a forum ...

The only problem with Vera Lynn's "We'll Meet Again" is that it is the only featured vocal song in the movie Dr. Strangelove. Of course it is satirically playing right at the end when the entire world is being nuked with a doomsday device.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:08 AM   #1107

DS is a senior in college. He got an email today that said all grades can be pass/fail instead of a letter grade. He gets to pick which classes get a P and which get a grade. So, I guess anything below an "A" would lower his GPA, so he should choose to take a "P" instead. All classes have been online for weeks now. I guess this is the college's way of taking some of the stress off the students.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #1108

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
We'll, scuba diving demand is probably lower....
SCUBA uses compressed air, not oxygen. For special long deep dives, a mix of gas with less nitrogen might be used, but very rare for sport divers to use anything but plain old air.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #1109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
When she said "We'll meet again", the Queen was quoting the famous Vera Lynn song of that title. Another famous song of Vera Lynn from WW2 was "There'll be bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover".
I often forget who my audience is here. Sorry about that
Yes, most of us in the USA still cheer The War of Colonial Aggression the Revolutionary War.

Not sure about Canadians, though. I seem to recall their feelings after 1800 were "First get rid of the Americans, then the British".

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:22 AM   #1110

Teared up at Queen Elizabeth's address to the public. It was like my grandmother re assuring me, personally, everything will be all right. Her sweet voice and kind confidence held me spellbound. I was mad at her during the Lady Di debacle after her death. She won me back last Sunday.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #1111
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I have discovered this week that I actually am living in a “Stepford”-esque community. I live in The Villages but haven’t drunk the kool-aid. In the last two days I’ve been removed from two different forums for posting graphics and data from the World Health Organization.

Reason for removal given was “no negative posts allowed”. I was in shock.

Folks here are continuing to play golf, shop, go to the Squares and play cards with friends. I have group of friends who made fun of DH and I for staying home for the last two weeks.

I pray that the worst case scenario doesn’t happen. We will lose a lot of friends if it does.
Lisa,

You can use the FL state link on counts now to find out which Zip code has the most cases identified. (See bottom tabs on the link and county/zip code on the right side of the screen). DW and I are using it to determine the location of our next grocery run - finding the smallest cases might lower risk of transmission.

https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/op...2a615dc7837c86

Atom
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #1112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
This is probably why the California rate is slower than New York. Much warmer temperatures this time of year, but not sure if one can compare to New Orleans, not sure of the weather down there.
It hasn't ever reached 80 this spring in Northern CA.

I don't think it's reached 75. Most of the time it's been in the low to mid 60s at midday.

And we've been getting rain in the last couple of weeks after dry January and February and most of March.

I believe the first infection in CA was in Santa Clara county, pretty populous but not like San Francisco or LA.

In fact, today, LA Times reported that Northern CA is faring better as far as number of new infections than LA, San Diego.

Guessing it's been warmer down there.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #1113

In Ohio, we've reduced the estimated peak number of new cases per day from 10,000 to 1,600, peaking April 19th now.

ETA: "new cases per day"
Old 04-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #1114
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
In Ohio, we've reduced the estimated peak number of cases from 10,000 to 1,600, peaking April 19th now.
Don't you mean deaths, not cases? The state currently has 5,000+ cases. Or did you mean cases per day?
Old 04-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Don't you mean deaths, not cases? The state currently has 5,000+ cases. Or did you mean cases per day?
I meant new cases per day, sorry.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #1116

This is an interesting article on why hand sanitizer is still in short supply. Unfortunately it looks like it is going to be that way for a long time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...long-long-time

I was able to find a 4-pack of 32 ounce bottles of hand sanitizer on Amazon for $58.00. It wasn’t even a third party seller, it was Amazon direct. It was painful to pay that much but it was literally the first time I had seen any hand sanitizer available for sale on the internet since the pandemic began. And I wanted to have some in each of our cars to use after grocery shopping, so I just bit the bullet and paid for it.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:36 AM   #1117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
This is an interesting article on why hand sanitizer is still in short supply. Unfortunately it looks like it is going to be that way for a long time.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...long-long-time
This is a really interesting article and it sends home how every action has a consequence in the supply chain. I'm tired of the breathless blame game being rolled out on some networks about not producing enough "X" overnight. This is a small window into the problems of ramping production.

Let me give a highlight:
- Company RPP has switched from auto fluids to sanitizer
- But they can't get bottles to put into
- So they are packaging it in oil containers (kind of unique)
- Small consumer bottles can't be made because
- Plastic is needed for food, like yogurt containers
- Food is higher priority than consumer packaged sanitizer
- Consumer packaging of food is up in volume over industrial which comes in larger packages (less plastic)
- And so on...

Old 04-09-2020, 06:11 AM   #1118
Recycles dryer sheets

Stopped watching the daily White House briefing. Not a head in the sand thing, just too arduous for the info revealed. It’s been really helpful.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #1119
Give me a forum ...

Just heard from my last remaining relative, she's 68, and she and her husband live in her hometown in Kent, England.

Her mother, 93, (not a blood relative), in a home with dementia/Alzheimer's, has just been diagnosed.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 04-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #1120

It looks like Lysol and Clorox products are having the same supply chain issues and hand sanitizer. According to this article we likely won’t find these products until sometime this summer.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...RfU7XoHY3ZnSa5
Closed Thread