Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 02:17 PM   #161
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Curious if flour and yeast are still available, because it is pretty dang easy to make bread, especially with a $70 bread machine that does all the work for you.
I was grocery shopping on Wednesday in Eastern Washington and there was plenty of flour and yeast. I had a giant pack of yeast and some a/p flour in my freezer already, but bought a couple of small bags of bread flour.

Yesterday I was wishing I had bought bread, so I whipped up an amazing pan of focaccia, ate some and froze the rest.

I'm probably going to come out of this pandemic 25 pounds heavier!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4709532/

I knew someone years ago who was blinded by prescribed dosages of chloroquine for malaria acquired while working for the Peace Corps overseas. Apparently this is still going on. Either way I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.
I took Plaquenil(chlorquinine) years ago. The rheumatologist required a thorough eye exam with a visual field test initially and then every six months thereafter to identify any changes. As soon as a decline in the visual field was noted, you get pulled from Plaquenil. I used it for years without any trouble whatsoever.

It was a miracle drug for me.

If it turns out to help those experiencing severe COVID-19 symptoms, that would be great.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #163
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wife was actually able to convince her brother and his wife (both in their early 60s) to not fly out from CA to TX to visit us the end of this month because of COVID-19. They've already flown to Canada for a funeral and flown through SFO, Newark (NJ) and DC the past several weeks. They've also ushered a couple of events and have attended church multiple times. We will likely reschedule the visit for early fall after the summer heat here in TX has started to dissipate.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #164

This is a well done video that puts the danger of coronavirus into clear perspective. It was made for Bluffton, OH and uses their small town as the example of what will happen at different rates of infection and how it differs from the flu. It made things much clearer for me and influenced me to take the maximum precautions.

https://vimeo.com/397657805?fbclid=I...9CkYkmKop6lI1Y
Old 03-15-2020, 02:41 PM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
My wife was actually able to convince her brother and his wife (both in their early 60s) to not fly out from CA to TX to visit us the end of this month because of COVID-19. They've already flown to Canada for a funeral and flown through SFO, Newark (NJ) and DC the past several weeks. They've also ushered a couple of events and have attended church multiple times. We will likely reschedule the visit for early fall after the summer heat here in TX has started to dissipate.
Convince them heck, with a travel history like that, I'd have said you can knock on our door, but we won't let you in.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A couple we've known since college (I've known her since early childhood) have planned for several months to come for a visit The first week in April. She called on Friday to wish DW a happy birthday and the two of them had their usual 45 minute phone conversation.

After they hung up I told DW I was glad they had decided to cancel - wrong. DW said they were still planning to come unless we told them not to. Thanks for making me be the bad guy...

He is 74 and still working in a factory shipping department. She retired a few years ago and suffered a stroke last year which left her very frail. Plus, she is diabetic, allergic, and in overall poor health. IOW, she's a prime candidate to become a Covid-19 fatality while he continues to be exposed to numerous people every day, increasing his chances to catch the virus.

If they haven't figured out by Friday that driving 350 miles to spend a 3 day weekend with us is probably not a good idea, I'll call them and explain why I think that's the case.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #167
Administrator

Over here folks over 70 will be advised tomorrow on social distancing and in the coming weeks told to stay at home for an extended period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51895873

Quote:
Every Briton over the age of 70 will be told "within the coming weeks" to stay at home for an extended period to protect themselves from coronavirus.
When it happens, they will be asked to stay home for "a very long time", Health Secretary Matt Hancock said.
The government is to release social distancing advice for elderly people on Monday - but they will not yet be asked to self-isolate for long periods.
Fourteen more people have died from the virus, bringing deaths in the UK to 35.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Good news for a change! Chloroquine, which is used to treat malaria, looks to be effective in treating COVID-19. Faster recovery and shorter hospital stays. May also be prophylactic.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...VjIL-7deJ7/pub

I understand it was used in China and South Korea and is being used now in a number of places, including Europe.

Thank you for posting this study. It looks promising.

My husband took chloroquine to treat Babesia a co-infection of Lyme disease.
Old 03-15-2020, 03:38 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
This is a well done video that puts the danger of coronavirus into clear perspective. It was made for Bluffton, OH and uses their small town as the example of what will happen at different rates of infection and how it differs from the flu. It made things much clearer for me and influenced me to take the maximum precautions.

https://vimeo.com/397657805?fbclid=I...9CkYkmKop6lI1Y
Thank you for posting that. The math gets downright scary.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #170

Take 2 on news of the day. Governor Newsom wants everyone in California over 65 to self-isolate. Can anyone make me a fake California license showing my age as 59? I need to get gas and go to the grocery store next week and don't want to get arrested...(J/K)
Old 03-15-2020, 04:25 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

You have to scare people enough so that they will self-isolate.

How do you do that without being accused of fear-mongering?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-15-2020, 04:35 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Take 2 on news of the day. Governor Newsom wants everyone in California over 65 to self-isolate. Can anyone make me a fake California license showing my age as 59? I need to get gas and go to the grocery store next week and don't want to get arrested...(J/K)
I believe I heard >=65 AND with respiratory issues. But, if all 65+ stay home it would help too. I am 64 so I am still free to roam.

He also ordered all bars, wine tasting be banned since those are non-essential. Restaurants should accommodate 50% and less capacity.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You have to scare people enough so that they will self-isolate.

How do you do that without being accused of fear-mongering?
Too little, too late. My larger concern is that there is no real understanding of the supply chain and how fragile it is. We are seeing that now. I'm prepared for the apocalypse, but what about my neighbors in their mid-70's?

Anyway, I guess the real news is that the people in charge are finally taking this seriously, even if they have to chase it.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
I believe I heard >=65 AND with respiratory issues. But, if all 65+ stay home it would help too. I am 64 so I am still free to roam.

He also ordered all bars, wine tasting be banned since those are non-essential. Restaurants should accommodate 50% and less capacity.
"In addition, Newsom asked the state's 5.3 million residents who are 65 or older to self-isolate at home."

From SF Gate.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:52 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Had another bowl of black garlic ramen at the local chinese place. It was nearly full.

Glad to see the lack of fear -
Old 03-15-2020, 05:09 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Had another bowl of black garlic ramen at the local chinese place. It was nearly full.

Glad to see the lack of fear -
Wait a week...
Old 03-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Oh the fear is here, empty grocery shelves. I really don't get the toilet paper thing, but it's real.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Wandered through one of the local supermarkets to see what people were stocking up on. The toilet paper and bread sections were totally out. The paper towel section was about 3 quarters empty. Canned goods ( primary vegetables and soup), yogurt, sports drinks, and flour sections were about half of what they normally were. Yogurt was very low. Everything else seemed at normal levels.

A relative who works in a Costco receiving warehouse tells us they are still receiving shipments of toilet paper daily and sending it out to the stores as fast as they can. They may not be available online, but if you go early to a Costco store (from my observation last week, before noon) you can get some.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:47 PM   #179
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW flew back from FL on Tuesday, March 10th. Her employer just announced today that anyone who travelled by train or plane since March 2nd is now asked to self quarantine for 14 days effective from when they returned. She already worked 2 days since she came back. Odd.

Not clear yet if time off is paid, unpaid, sick time or vacation.

Since I'm retired, it will be nice to have her around for a couple of weeks. [emoji16]
Old 03-15-2020, 05:50 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/ca...vI_P3_pUDzuzTo

Quote:
A grocery store in Edmonton, Alberta is leading the way in coronavirus pandemic innovation by implementing a special early morning "Golden Shopping Hour" that will be exclusive to seniors, those with mobility concerns, and those who are most vulnerable to the coronavirus.

ABC News reporter Kris Reyes came across the promotion by Belmont Sobey's and praised it on Twitter saying:

"This is such a simple yet brilliant move by a grocery store in Edmonton ... I am truly hopeful for the creative solutions and innovation that will come out of this crisis, keeping those truly in need, in mind."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Closed Thread