Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #601
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH and I did a Walmart grocery order yesterday. We started Friday night and scheduled the pickup for Sunday afternoon. The site was very easy to use and we went back to our shopping list a few times to add items. Very nice service and we will use it again if needed.

Walmart isn't our regular weekly store but we knew they carried our dogs canned food in the flavor she likes and they usually carry a 12 pack so we got two of those. Also two bags of her favorite kibble.

This afternoon I got an email from our police department contact for the School Crossing Guards. It included a letter from the Mayor telling us that the city has laid off all part-time employees. We are on Spring Break this week but while school is closed for the pandemic we were allowed to work 2 hrs/day for the free school lunch distribution. Now we have no opportunities to work until they call us back if/when school is back in session.

This is not a big surprise. I just hope they continue the free food as many families really need that.

The letter mentioned filing for unemployment benefits so I checked it out and I don't make enough to meet the minimum to get any benefit. DH and I will be fine without my income, his pension covers all our monthly expenses and I always saved my income in a Roth IRA.

But I'm just feeling sad over this.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #602
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maryland ordered all non-essential businesses to close until 5PM today until further notice. Including golf courses. DRAT!

I wish they had just told them to ban the use of golf carts, it is easy to social distance when walking the course. Oh, well...
Old 03-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Maryland ordered all non-essential businesses to close until 5PM today until further notice. Including golf courses. DRAT!

I wish they had just told them to ban the use of golf carts, it is easy to social distance when walking the course. Oh, well...
Just a thought. If no one is there, can't you just walk the course?

I know it defies the rules, but let's just say you and you friend took a walk on the course and happened to carry your clubs, keeping your social distance.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #604
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Just a thought. If no one is there, can't you just walk the course?

I know it defies the rules, but let's just say you and you friend took a walk on the course and happened to carry your clubs, keeping your social distance.

I would hate to get the owner in trouble. The course is very visible at several points from bordering streets, and there are houses along several of the holes. I can see a passing police officer noticing, or a homeowner reporting that the course is defying the rules.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #605

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
I would hate to get the owner in trouble. The course is very visible at several points from bordering streets, and there are houses along several of the holes. I can see a passing police officer noticing, or a homeowner reporting that the course is defying the rules.
Yeah. I probably wouldn't do it either. It just seems like a waste of outdoor time, spent with a friend, and within the social distancing guidelines.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #606

WA Gov. Jay Inslee just issued a state-wide "stay at home" directive. Guess I gotta get serious about learning that Travis guitar-picking I've been meaning to get around to for the longest time now.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
WA Gov. Jay Inslee just issued a state-wide "stay at home" directive. Guess I gotta get serious about learning that Travis guitar-picking I've been meaning to get around to for the longest time now.
Your governor seems to be shutting the barn door after the entire herd of horses escaped. It will be interesting to see if this works better than it has in California.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #608

Something to consider for those who like taking cruises..

CDC says coronavirus survived in Princess Cruise ship cabins for up to 17 days after passengers left.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/cdc-...gers-left.html
Old 03-23-2020, 10:30 PM   #609
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post

CDC says coronavirus survived in Princess Cruise ship cabins for up to 17 days after passengers left.

I would think this is pretty alarming for hotels, planes, and even restaurants.

This has shown it can survive much longer than the 9 days which previously was viewed as a maximum.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:55 PM   #610
Give me a forum ...

17 days is actually pretty alarming because that would mean the virus could actually be packed up on a product in one country, shipped overseas, and still arrive intact after delivery.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:05 PM   #611
Give me a forum ...

We scored some bread. We live in a HCOL area and I never thought I'd be excited to be able to buy a loaf of bread but I guess that is our new reality.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-23-2020, 11:31 PM   #612
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This scares the heck out of me, cruise or not.

So, there's some basis behind all those Asian countries spraying disinfectant in the streets, inside public places, buses, etc..., after all. They knew something we did not.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-24-2020, 02:57 AM   #613
Administrator

First day here of police enforced lockdown. Only allowed out once per day to exercise. DW had told our son she would come supervise his gardening this afternoon, standing well back and advising him on plants, pruning, etc. She has now told him to leave the garage doors open, front and back, and she will run around to his house and straight through to the garden. (It’s less than a mile).

We are fortunate to be on the edge of the North York Moors so plenty of places to walk from our house. Exercise today for me will be mowing the front lawn.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:25 AM   #614
Moderator Emeritus

The lockdown rules have tightened a bit in France. Large fines and prison sentences are now possible for people who get caught repeatedly violating the confinement rules. Nighttime curfews are in place for a number of cities. Open air food markets are closed indefinitely. We are still allowed to get out, one by one, for fresh air and exercise. But we have to stay within a 1km radius from home and we can't be out for more than 1 hour (we are limited to one outing per day). When we are out, we have to stay at least 6' away from others. The government also announced that the confinement measures are likely to continue for "a few weeks".

Meanwhile, hospitals outside the worst hit areas in Northeastern France have been able to prepare for the upcoming pandemic peak (which should happen over the next 8-15 days according to experts). They have freed up hospital beds and set up auxiliary ICUs to handle the surge. Cooperation between the public and private healthcare system has been reinforced to handle the crisis in a more unified way. Patients are being moved away from the worst hit areas via military transport to even out the load on hospitals across the country.

After 7 days of police-enforced lockdown, it is starting to feel like the "new normal". So far I have been able to keep my pre-lockdown home routine for meals and sleep.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:10 AM   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
17 days is actually pretty alarming because that would mean the virus could actually be packed up on a product in one country, shipped overseas, and still arrive intact after delivery.
"the researchers wrote, adding that the finding doesn’t necessarily mean the virus spread by surface."

The real risk still is from other people, not from a few virus particles that manage to survive on surfaces.
What was your COVID news for the day?
Old 03-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #616
Recycles dryer sheets

What was your COVID news for the day?

Made my first senior-hour shopping trip to a local grocery. I can’t recall the last time I saw TP in the wild - our supply is dwindling (and I’m a little annoyed at hoarding behavior although I get it - drew a weird analogy in my mind between TP and $; some have a lot, some don’t and at least one justification for gathering it up is to be able to offer it to me later as an act of charity? If it was left on the shelf I could have bought it myself! I am talking to myself here, saw myself really.)

Wait, where was I? Oh, senior hour at the grocery store...TP was actually rationed from a large pallet by store personnel handing a what now seems tiny 4 pack to the first 8 people in line and then the rest of us were offered a single roll of paper towels. I got one of the latter and felt quite accomplished. Lots of limits on quantities which I found encouraging, perhaps boding well for future supply. Got eggs. Got chocolate chips.

Feeling my way forward in trusting that supply will be there and only taking what I need, all things considered (including how often to forage).
Old 03-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #617
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
"the researchers wrote, adding that the finding doesn’t necessarily mean the virus spread by surface."

The real risk still is from other people, not from a few virus particles that manage to survive on surfaces.

They found remnants of the viral RNA. The media is misreporting this finding and will result in unnecessary fear.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:31 AM   #618

Tried to do order and curbside pickup from our Kroger store yesterday and when I got to the select a pickup time page there were no slots available for yesterday, today, wednesday and thursday available That was as far out as the choices went.

About 12:45 last night I turned over in bed and saw what time it was and wondered when Friday curbside delivery slots were posted. After a few minutes I figured I would get up and see if Friday was available and it was! Finished checkout and our scheduled to pick up on Friday between 11:00am and noon. We will see how many items are actually available. Don't need TP, paper towels or meats so maybe we will be lucky.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #619

Local News this morning, reaches several counties down south.

Massive hiring, in the 1000's, but I forget exact number:

Walgreens
CVS
Amazon
Big Box Stores

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #620
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I read that. It’s just unbelievable!