Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #701
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our governor just shut down the entire state. Half of the counties have had no cases. The counties that did have cases were already doing shutdowns...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 06:21 PM   #702

Elon Musk donated 1225 ventilators to California. He bought them from China and shipped to LA.

https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...in-china-to-us
Old 03-25-2020, 07:26 PM   #703
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH went to Target for their over 60 hour from 8:00 to 9:00 this morning. He got there at 7:45 and was about the 75th person in line. People lined up with a cart between them as as to keep the distance. DH did wear gloves (the other day I found a box of alcohol swabs, box of gloves and a bottle of hand sanitizer that was expired a few months ago -- so happy to find these). Anyway, he was mostly there to switch out our Soda Stream canister and pick up a few items.

Turned out it was good he went there today. The service desk at the Target was going to close after today until late April and that is where you switch out the canister. No returns of anything are going to be allowed.

He did check on toilet paper but they were out. We do have enough for probably 5 weeks. Anyway, he was told by a worker that only the first 8 people were able to get toilet paper (and that was with a limit of what they bought). Basically they don't know how much they will get each day so you just have to get there early enough before the store opens to one of the first several people in line. They advised that when you come in you need to know the store layout and you should go straight for the product you most want.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:55 PM   #704
gone traveling

Business Interruption Insurance. When will it pay out? Will it pay for Vrbo or Airbnb hosts who have lost all their bookings due to the virus??
A lot of people have lost a lot of money.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #705
Give me a forum ...

A friend of DW's went to one of the large stores (DW was not completely sure of which one and I do not want to take the chance of posting the wrong store name) today during noon. They had toilet paper, one package to a person. They also had armed guards at the toilet paper.

DW's friend asked one guard "has it really come to this?" The guard answered sadly yes, there have been enough scuffles over the TP and other items, and reports in the news of altercations and assaults over in-demand goods, that the store decided to play it safe and guard the TP.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #706

Half of the patients at the San Jose Kaiser hospital are sick with COVID 19.

https://ktla.com/news/california/nea...JDaBuDBy8-775g
Old 03-25-2020, 09:15 PM   #707
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Our governor just shut down the entire state. Half of the counties have had no cases. The counties that did have cases were already doing shutdowns...
We had no cases, yet, but were shut down locally in the morning and by the state this afternoon. Life won't change much for us at this point we were already pretty much locked up.

Several healthcare related organizations have said to assume we were infected and act appropriately. I'm not sure what I'm going to do different with that information.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #708
Give me a forum ...

Our governor today identified marijuana stores as essential services and may stay open.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #709
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
Elon Musk donated 1225 ventilators to California. He bought them from China and shipped to LA.

https://thehill.com/policy/technolog...in-china-to-us
It's good. He quickly learned that it took some time to design and build these ventilators, and there's simply no time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-26-2020, 05:48 AM   #710

The other day we got our exercise in by walking to *and from* WalMart. Nice walk there, a bit tougher on the way back with 25-30 lbs of groceries in our backpacks.

TP still well-stocked, sanitizing wipes still empty, still no sanitizer anywhere. Beans and rice shelves 95% gone, but there was a big pallet of rice in the main aisle. Probably easier to roll out a pallet than to bother with stocking a shelf that will get emptied the next day. Some canned goods were way down. Peanut butter almost gone.

So yeah, panic buying has come to Mexico! But only selectively.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:47 AM   #711

Holy moly the unemployment numbers are in. 3.2M new claims. Most estimates I'd heard were to be >2M, but not much mention of >3.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:56 AM   #712

Some good news on the testing front. The results are obtained in 2- 10 minutes from a small prick of blood. The FDA has approved this test from South Korea.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/03/2...id-blood-test/

https://www.reuters.com/article/brie...-idUSFWN2BG0GB
Old 03-26-2020, 07:13 AM   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Holy moly the unemployment numbers are in. 3.2M new claims. Most estimates I'd heard were to be >2M, but not much mention of >3.

I hadn't really thought about it but I wonder why the estimates were "only" ~2 million. NYC alone has over 8 million people, and I would guess at least half of them can't work.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 03-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #714

Quote:

Supposedly, a LOT of people can't even get through to file for unemployment since the online sites are slammed. The number is probably much higher than the 3.2 million.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Shutting down the whole state probably makes more sense. Our state only shuts down individual counties. People are driving a couple of miles to the next county to eat at restaurants, etc.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:05 AM   #716

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Supposedly, a LOT of people can't even get through to file for unemployment since the online sites are slammed. The number is probably much higher than the 3.2 million.
Yes, the system is basically designed for about 250k per week. And this doesn't count the gig workers, self-employed, etc. Stunning, so sad.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:09 AM   #717

Has there been a run on Tone's Chicken Bouillon Cubes. I've been checking Sam's for about 10 days without success. I bought Knorr brand yesterday.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:12 AM   #718

Quote:

Love it, the unemployment rate rises by 3 Million and the Dow is up 755 points. Is that called priced in? :-)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #719
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Love it, the unemployment rate rises by 3 Million and the Dow is up 755 points. Is that called priced in? :-)
It's called "nuts", but that's become SOP since things went pear-shaped.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:25 AM   #720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
The passage of the stimulus bill in the Senate last night is beating the unemployment numbers in the good news vs. bad news tug-of-war at the moment.
Closed Thread