Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #721
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got a great email from my local Honda dealership. Seems they are considered "essential" and are having some great sales. Even offering free donuts and coffee!

Having said that, I do feel sorry for the commission-based car sales people. I doubt they are doing much business.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #722
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The last two days as I drove to the supermarket and later walked about my neighborhood, I noticed a lot of construction workers on the job. They were buidling new houses, remodeling older houses and other such things.

Today, the Guv has make is clear - construction is not exempt from the shelter at home rule. The only exemption is construction for emergency facilities, like finishing up a new ward in a hospital.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #723

The market has already discounted a lot of the bad headlines. Citibank and others were forecasting 4-6 million jobless claims. The key measure that the Fed took was to stabilize the bond market buy buying corporate and municipal bonds and mortgage back securities, which calmed down the financial markets. The market has discounted a 2-3 month shutdown of the economy and phased start-up like they are doing in China.
Yes the GDP will be down this quarter and next quarter and we won't see signs of a recovery until businesses open again. The market has discounted this already. The uncertainty right now is what will the economy look like after this is over and what will be the impact of loan losses to banks as a result of the plunge in energy prices. There is also the issue of a second wave of infections and it's impact. This is what the market is trying to price.

The uncertainty won't be lifted until there is real containment of the virus. As for miracle treatments, Gilead's Remdesivir is expensive and was a total failure in the treatment of Ebola. Gilead has already withdrawn it's request for "orphan" status. Keep in mind this is the same company that charges $60,000 for the drug to treat/cure Hepatitis C. The 2-10 minute test that they have started using in California this week should alleviate the testing delays. It was approved for sale by the FDA. California is currently awaiting results from over 46000 tests and will likely shift over to this new test.

Those cities/states that shutdown early like San Francisco most likely contained the spread. Keep in mind New York was pretty slow shutting the city down. Those large cities that remain open are rolling the dice and are likely to make things worse for the rest of the country.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #724

An article in today's Wall Street Journal projects a loss of 50+ million jobs next quarter, close to 1/3 of the labor force based on estimates from economists at the St. Louis Federal Reserve.

So the article argues nobody's yet pricing in such a huge impact, even if temporary.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:41 AM   #725

Oh, and got news my great aunt (last of grandparents' generation) died this morning at the age of 95 1/2.

Don't know yet if covid-19 was responsible, but of course it will be weeks or months before there are any funeral services for her.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #726
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised at how low the increase in unemployment was until I found out the my state's online application system crashed over and over again in the past few weeks. I suspect next week may see another significant increase. We'll see.

50 million unemployed? Not yet, IMHO. But if this lock down shelter in place goes for more than 6 weeks, then all bets are off, IMHO. We need to start considering how we are going to flatten the unemployment curve so that we don't drive the entire economy into the dirt. Our elected representatives can start by asking the medical community what they will need so we can more safely restart the economy within the next month or two.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 PM   #727
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Supposedly, a LOT of people can't even get through to file for unemployment since the online sites are slammed. The number is probably much higher than the 3.2 million.
That is correct. Helped my daughter file for unemployment today in NC. System kept crashing. Finally after multiple tries, was able to complete her application.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I was surprised at how low the increase in unemployment was until I found out the my state's online application system crashed over and over again in the past few weeks. I suspect next week may see another significant increase. We'll see.

50 million unemployed? Not yet, IMHO. But if this lock down shelter in place goes for more than 6 weeks, then all bets are off, IMHO. We need to start considering how we are going to flatten the unemployment curve so that we don't drive the entire economy into the dirt. Our elected representatives can start by asking the medical community what they will need so we can more safely restart the economy within the next month or two.
In the daily press conference right now, they're discussing the matter of the Ohio unemployment website crashing repeatedly. Part of the problem is too many people on the Internet at the same time. They're trying to increase capacity, but they probably can only do so much. The Lt. Gov. said that benefits will be retroactive. No one will be penalized for any delays in being able to file because of website issues.

The economic problems will start trickling up from the lower paid hourly workers to higher paid workers, even for workers in essential businesses. I read an article that said a particular health care system is cutting everyone's pay, including executives, by 20%! The reasoning is that the elimination of elective surgeries is hurting their bottom line. Well, I'm sure that's true for now, but those health care workers who are risking their safety, especially with the shortage of PPE, don't deserve this.

An example that hits closer to home: This morning's daily coronavirus update email from DH's employer had some ominous tones to it for the first time. They've been writing that their OEM customers were closing for a number of weeks. Those customers still wanted product to be produced and shipped, as recently as 2 days ago. The aftermarket customers were operating as usual. Now DH's employer has written that all customers are setting dates to stop receiving new shipments. So, they're working to make sure that after the CARES Act passes and is signed into law, all affected employees can get whatever assistance is available. They're going to determine what labor actions are required by tomorrow. You can read between the lines. DH works in R&D, but I'm not convinced they're going to want to continue to keep the engineers and technicians working at full capacity through all this, with this recent news.
Do you get an IgM+ card?
Old 03-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #729

Do you get an IgM+ card?

So you've lived through it, been tested, and you have immunoglobulin 'M' (the first one you get) or immunoglobulin 'G' (comes later) circulating in your blood, as proven by a test (like this one: https://www.biomedomics.com/products...e/covid-19-rt/).

How do the authorities know that you're the real owner of the test? Do you carry around the test result in your pocket (like a pregnancy test). What's to keep you from taking your sharpie to the test strip?

Seems like we are going to need a proof of immunity database, which of course will be tough, due to 'privacy concerns'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imsafe.jpg (13.0 KB, 231 views)
Old 03-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #730
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
How do the authorities know that you're the real owner of the test?
Is there a submarket for fake test results?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #731
Give me a forum ...

A cruise line has offered one of its ships that is now going nowhere as a source of beds for patients who need care but not are not on any critical list. Will there kitchen staff provide cruise line food and beverages?

Old 03-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #732

Quote:
A cruise line has offered one of its ships that is now going nowhere as a source of beds for patients who need care but not are not on any critical list. Will there kitchen staff provide cruise line food and beverages?
I read yesterday that a Navy hospital ship was moved from San Diego to Los Angeles Harbor to accommodate non COVID-19 patients from hospitals in the area.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...id-19-response
Old 03-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #733

Ms G lost a filling called our DDS. that happens to be across the border in New Mexico. Can't get in to see her unless Ms G is in pain, says the Dept of Health NM, by way of our dentist. Expressed her thoughts that the practice may not survive this very long.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:53 PM   #734

US has passed China and Italy with number of positive individuals. Italy will pass China later today and Spain and Germany are both likely to surpass China in the coming week. It will be awhile before anyone catches Italy and Spain on deaths as they are still adding far more deaths than any other country. Worldometer.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:36 PM   #735
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
If I end up on it, I'm going to sign up for the beverage package
Old 03-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #736
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Everything is recycled.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 03-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #737
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

I would not insist on a cabin with a balcony.

Both times when I was hospitalized in the past, I did not get a room with a window, and it was OK. I was also preoccupied with some other thoughts, and would not appreciate the window that much.

Still, the difference is I was hospitalized for only 3 nights each time. A longer stay may feel different.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #738
Give me a forum ...

My mother called me last night, saying she would stop the weekly dinner with us. She has been having 6 dinners/week with myself and my siblings, on a rotation. We would host her either at home, or take her with us if we go eat out.

Said she was afraid of the virus, and would stay locked in. So, from now on, we would bring food to her. She said she wanted the food dropped off contactless at her front door.

Said she was old, and might die anytime, but did not want to be because of this virus. It would be dumb, she said.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:34 PM   #739
Give me a forum ...

Went to the grocery store around 9AM. Place looked like the Zombies were in control and it had been ransacked. Hardly anyone there except employees milling around.

I think when our Governor said to stay at home the crowds came and bought the place out. I found most of what we wanted including my prescriptions.

I learned my high school Principal is not well hopefully not from this virus. He was a big influence on many myself included. He broke his paddle on my buddies butt and he thanked him for the lesson. I did too.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Still, I'm glad I got a haircut a couple of weeks ago. I'm unsure of what the results will be like when DW cuts my hair but since no one else will see it anyway I guess it won't matter much.
I already was in need of a haircut a few weeks ago, and then was frozen out. I gave up and cut my own hair yesterday with a clippers from Amazon. It is horrendous. But, as you say, I am stuck at home, so who cares?!
Closed Thread