Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #761
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Boris Johnson is tested positive, but why is UK using 7 day quarantine period instead of the usual 14 days?

"Boris Johnson will isolate for 7 days following coronavirus diagnosis
From CNN's Luke McGee in London

Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks to Queen Elizabeth II on the phone during their Weekly Audience on March 25.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks to Queen Elizabeth II on the phone during their Weekly Audience on March 25. Andrew Parsons-WPA Pool/Getty Images.
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson will isolate for seven days after testing positive for the coronavirus.

Staff at 10 Downing Street will observe Public Health England guidelines on contact with the Prime Minister, and will remain 2 meters apart from him at all times in the event they have any contact with him, a spokesperson for the PM said.

The spokesperson said Johnson noticed he had mild symptoms on Thursday afternoon and was tested in 10 Downing Street on the advice of the government's Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty. Johnson got the results of the test at midnight last night.

The 55-year-old Prime Minister has been in self-isolation in his 11 Downing Street apartment, where he will remain, the spokesperson added.

The spokesperson declined to comment on the health of Johnson’s fiancee, Carrie Symonds, who is pregnant.

The official said other people in Number 10 have self-isolated as a result of having symptoms.

Coronavirus in Westminster: The confirmation comes just over a week after a top government adviser on the virus, Neil Ferguson, said he believed he had been infected and warned: "There is a lot of Covid-19 in Westminster."

Ferguson had met the Prime Minister, as well as Whitty, and Chief Scientific Adviser Patrick Vallance. It was unclear, however, where Johnson may have contracted the virus."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
How could they possibly track whether you went to the grocery store more than once?
+1

What if the grocery stores are emptied out of most items on that particular day?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
We haven't been to a store in 12 days. Seems like many are going daily. That's not helping.
We would prefer going to the stores once a week, but the continual over-purchasing that is going on in our area and the resultant out-of-stock items makes that an impossibility.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #764
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
+1

What if the grocery stores are emptied out of most items on that particular day?
Good question that I don't know the answer to. I don't think they are really going to be able to enforce the once a week grocery rule but I think they want to stop the habit that some people have of going to the grocery store every day or two. We are to pick up groceries today at Walmart pick up. I hope we get most of what we ordered, if not we will be eating beanie weenies!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:47 AM   #765

Did our first pickup at the grocery store. They were out of milk and orange juice but we got everything else. Had already setup another pickup for next Tuesday morning and modified that order to add the items out of stock today. Still have a good supply of TP and paper towels but depending on how Ties. pickup goes may start adding those in case it takes a few weeks to get some.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #766
Dryer sheet wannabe

The father of a dear friend and colleague passed away last night due to COVID-19. Both of my friend's parents were positive for the virus, and my friend had to be in quarantine due to exposure to them (he had delivered groceries to them.)
Old 03-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #767

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
We would prefer going to the stores once a week, but the continual over-purchasing that is going on in our area and the resultant out-of-stock items makes that an impossibility.
+1000

Yesterday our health director announced that they expect to see 6,000 to 8,000 new cases per day in our state by late April. When I told DH, he said that's when you don't want to even go out to get groceries anymore. I said that's one of the reasons why I'm continuing to try to keep a few weeks supply, besides a potential quarantine. At some point, I may just have to try online grocery ordering/restaurant delivery and hope we can get enough stuff to feed 4 adults consistently. I can tell DS that he can stop off for takeout burgers more often as he's on his way back from his job at the nursing home.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
In my county we are on stay home starting tomorrow at 6 pm. You can only go out to the grocery once per week or to the doctor or pharmacy. OK to walk for exercise but must stay 6 feet apart. All parks are closed. The lock down order is in effect until April 30!!!!
Did they shut down UNC?
Old 03-27-2020, 12:49 PM   #769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
A lot has been made of the testing, it seems to me if you are sick, stay home! If you start to run a high fever or have trouble breathing, call your doctor. It doesn't matter what illness you have, in most cases it will go away within two weeks, just stay home.

I got educated on why testing could be very important, by Peter Attia!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo
Old 03-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #770

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
Supposedly, a LOT of people can't even get through to file for unemployment since the online sites are slammed. The number is probably much higher than the 3.2 million.
I would expect 4-5 million next week, there may be those that are being layed off at the end of the month.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #771

Now the estimate is 10,000 new cases in Ohio daily. We're supposed to start getting slammed within 2 weeks. The peak has been moved later to mid-May. Let the fresh round of panic buying begin. Sigh...
Old 03-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #772
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Did they shut down UNC?
UNC has been shut down for a couple of weeks. All students were sent home, they are having classes online.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
+1000

Yesterday our health director announced that they expect to see 6,000 to 8,000 new cases per day in our state by late April. When I told DH, he said that's when you don't want to even go out to get groceries anymore. I said that's one of the reasons why I'm continuing to try to keep a few weeks supply, besides a potential quarantine. At some point, I may just have to try online grocery ordering/restaurant delivery and hope we can get enough stuff to feed 4 adults consistently. I can tell DS that he can stop off for takeout burgers more often as he's on his way back from his job at the nursing home.
But if we all backed down and didn't interact, even to constantly cruise the groceries... oh never mind...

Old 03-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #774
Recycles dryer sheets

I found this Stanford Professor of Medicine/Epidemiology video particularly enlightening. Long but well worth the time IMHO.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #775
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not sure if this qualifies as "news" but it was interesting to me. I've not verified the numbers shown in this video but have no reason to suspect that any part of this is fake news. Regardless, the video presents some useful ideas in understanding how the numbers shake out.

On Edit:

I accessed the web page referred to in the video and found it quite useful. It's an animated graph that allows you to look at the data in several ways - linear, logarithmic, confirmed cases, deaths, country, etc. It appears the web site will continue to update the data periodically. Very interesting, take a look...

https://aatishb.com/covidtrends/
Old 03-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #776
Give me a forum ...

^^^ A new and interesting approach to present the data. What also helps is the animation to show the advance of the virus infection.

This info is present in the existing charts, if one knows to look for it.

The Worldometer Web site has charts showing daily new cases, and daily new deaths. These charts show the inflection points a lot clearer than the charts of running total cases or total deaths. That is when the curves start to deviate from their previous exponential paths.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #777
Recycles dryer sheets

This is the Rhode Island Connecticut border today. Rhode Island troopers and national guard have set up this tent and are stopping all vehicles with New York plates.

"Members of the National Guard will be stationed at train and bus stations to gather the contact information of anyone coming in from New York. In addition, the Rhode Island State Police will station troopers at the state border to flag down vehicles with New York license plates. The information collected will be used only for contact tracing by the Rhode Island Department of Health, Raimondo said"FB_IMG_1585346778483.jpeg
Old 03-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #778

I went by the Nassau County Medical Center (NY) tonight, no lines, quiet, the sign said wait time 13 minutes. Unlike Queens where they have people backed up out the door at the ER.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:54 PM   #779
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I went by the Nassau County Medical Center (NY) tonight, no lines, quiet, the sign said wait time 13 minutes. Unlike Queens where they have people backed up out the door at the ER.
And I bet there were no teams of news crews and cameras showing the lack of lines. For, you know, perspective, information, stuff like that.

Google maps says Nassau County Medical Center is ~ 30 minutes from Queens.

Thanks for the update, the kind we probably won't get from the "journalists".

-ERD50
Old 03-27-2020, 08:18 PM   #780

I was exposed to COVID 19 on March 8. A guy I know and his father-in-law went into the hospital with it and pneumonia a few days ago. The younger one is out of the hospital. The older one hasn't died yet, but is in ICU. I'm not messing around with this anymore. I have ordered enough food to last over a month which I can have loaded in the back of my Jeep and go straight back home. My hope is if there is a major first wave it will have come and gone before any interaction with other people. After that I will hope there are hospital beds available. I sure hope I am wrong on this, but staying in seclusion is not much of a hardship so why not?
Closed Thread