Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have discovered this week that I actually am living in a “Stepford”-esque community. I live in The Villages but haven’t drunk the kool-aid. In the last two days I’ve been removed from two different forums for posting graphics and data from the World Health Organization.

Reason for removal given was “no negative posts allowed”. I was in shock.

Folks here are continuing to play golf, shop, go to the Squares and play cards with friends. I have group of friends who made fun of DH and I for staying home for the last two weeks.

I pray that the worst case scenario doesn’t happen. We will lose a lot of friends if it does.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #822
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went to local supermarket (Giant Eagle) about 7 PM, got ice cream, cucumber, celery etc.. There were more help than customers. 4 cahiers standing around. Did not look at paper goods isle, bread isle was full as was the meat coolers.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:14 PM   #823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
I have discovered this week that I actually am living in a “Stepford”-esque community. I live in The Villages but haven’t drunk the kool-aid. In the last two days I’ve been removed from two different forums for posting graphics and data from the World Health Organization.

Folks here are continuing to play golf, shop, go to the Squares and play cards with friends. I have group of friends who made fun of DH and I for staying home for the last two weeks.

I pray that the worst case scenario doesn’t happen. We will lose a lot of friends if it does.
There is a portion of the population that clearly believes this whole thing is overblown. It often does not sink in until they see first hand someone they know get very sick and die.

Smart people learn from their mistakes. Really smart people learn from other people’s mistakes.

Unfortunately, really smart people also have to be extra cautious during this virus to stay away from those who think they know better.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
There is a portion of the population that clearly believes this whole thing is overblown. It often does not sink in until they see first hand someone they know get very sick and die.

Smart people learn from their mistakes. Really smart people learn from other people’s mistakes.

Unfortunately, really smart people also have to be extra cautious during this virus to stay away from those who think they know better.
Overblown or serious? As my dive buddy with MS likes to say, embrace the healing power of AND.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Old 03-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #825
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Out of curiosity, I just checked. They found 5 cases of community spread inside the Villages. That is in addition to 16 cases bringing the virus back from traveling.

This coronavirus is like coachroaches. If you see one, there may be many more that you don't. I will be watching this to see how it goes.

Stay isolated, and stay well.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #826

There are now over 4,000 cases in Florida, and 54 deaths.

And now we have a border checkpoint to keep people from Louisiana out of Florida. And we have the Rhode Island people trying to keep New York people out.

If you had made a movie about this people would laugh it off as sci-fi nonsense. It could never happen in America.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ed/2934407001/
Old 03-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #827
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
And now we have a border checkpoint to keep people from Louisiana out of Florida.
Yeah I know! Also I read something about how the same is true for us in parts of Texas. We have become the Lepers of the South, apparently. "Unclean! Unclean!" as they used to cry out if lepers were seen out on the streets, in antiquity.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #828

No Shelter in Place (also known as: Stay in Home) yet? We can only go outside our homes for essential purposes: 'essential jobs', food, meds, hospital, hiking / walking / biking our own neighborhoods. Personal medical appointments are via Skype. So there's no traveling outside our towns .... let alone outside our counties
Old 03-29-2020, 04:17 AM   #829
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Mardi Gras parades were over, done, finis on February 25th and most of the parades were within the week before the 25th. We got our first case of coronavirus on March 9th and that was a developmentally disabled man living in a facility for such people out in Kenner (a suburb).
I think given your outbreak, and given the number of people that got sick in other areas after returning from Mardi Gras, you’ve had cases before the March 9 man was identified. That was just the first identified case. Many areas in the US have had community spread for a while before cases were identified such as in Kirkland WA.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:26 AM   #830
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Rome, Georgia is a relatively small town in the northwest part of the state and they are one of the epicenters for all of Georgia. Someone with the virus attended a funeral, with lots of hand-shaking greetings and hugging, and from there many people have been found to have the virus.
Albany GA also has a terrible outbreak that is linked to two funerals, the first one of which was Feb 29. Their hospital is now overwhelmed.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:29 AM   #831
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wow, that’s bad.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #832
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Albany GA also has a terrible outbreak that is linked to two funerals, the first one of which was Feb 29. Their hospital is now overwhelmed.
Yep, my mom lives in the country not far from Albany and was telling me about this a couple of days ago. She had been under the impression that kids were immune and was babysitting my great nephews but she is stopping that now.

I don't know how she got the impression that kids are immune...kids carry more germs than a subway station.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #833

Skype with relatives in Northern Italy this morning. Said in some hospitals they are sending robots with meds and needed supplies into hospital rooms. The robots have interactive screens where Drs can talk to the patients without all the protective gear. Can spend more time and see facial expression which is calming.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #834
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

We have friends that are doing they same thing . They are continuing to socialize . They invite us for drinks but we decline . They just don't get it .
Old 03-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #835
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
They just don't get it .
Sadly it sounds like they may.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:53 AM   #836
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Skype with relatives in Northern Italy this morning. Said in some hospitals they are sending robots with meds and needed supplies into hospital rooms. The robots have interactive screens where Drs can talk to the patients without all the protective gear. Can spend more time and see facial expression which is calming.
That's a really good idea.

My back operation was almost 4 years ago. One of the doctors did his rounds working from home via robot. The thing would go from room to room, driven by the doctor. As I was walking the halls, I could greet him and say "hi." Basically, it was a cart with a screen on top with his face, live.

I found it a bit strange for orthopedics, but it makes huge sense for contagious diseases.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #837

Quote:

That should be on the news! I thought the Villages just got massive testing. Talk about an incubator or petri dish. As bad as a cruise ship.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #838
Give me a forum ...

^^^ But it has been on the news. People would just say "Nah, just more fear mongering".

Actually, I did not know (I do not watch TV) until I searched the Web to look for COVID-19 cases, and these stories popped up.

They have some confirmed cases, with some hospitalization. No death yet.

PS. No real massive testing, but they had "drive-by" testing, where the residents drove up in their golfcart to be swapped. Only a fraction of the 80,000 residents have been tested.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #839
Recycles dryer sheets

"FARGO — The first person who died in North Dakota from coronavirus was a Navy veteran and educator who declined to be put on a ventilator, possibly to save it for another patient, his niece said Saturday, March 28."

https://www.grandforksherald.com/lif...se-family-says
Old 03-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If you had a SCUBA regulator, that's a completely analog device that does what the "Assist Control" mode does, kind of.
Doctors in Italy are so desperate to save their patients they are modifying snorkel masks to be used as ventilators. Article, video, and blueprints are shown in the link.

The ingenuity of the engineers and the dedication of the doctors are something to behold.

So if you guys are super bored while self-isolating, here's a project for you.

https://www.boredpanda.com/ventilato...mpaign=organic