Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
Yeah, I missed it. What happened? Minor revolt?
Something like that...

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2395401
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #182
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I can't even imagine how much better fresh-ground flour must taste in bread, etc. Like the difference between canned and fresh-ground coffee.
Yes, it is wonderful and cheap. The current situation is making me improve my baking.

We also roast our own coffee. Better than anything I can buy.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 03-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The longer we remain on lockdown, the more I think other New Orleanians are going to start flocking to the ATM machines to get cash. And, I don't know if they are being refilled or not right now.
They are being refilled! I just got back, with $800 more cash than I had, now safely squirreled away.

We have never seen so little traffic on the streets of our inner suburb. I was U-turning gleefully at places where I haven't dared attempt a U-turn for years. Lots of large 18-wheel trucks moving at relatively high speeds, though, probably delivering toilet paper and such to stores. So, I had to watch out for them. But, not that many cars. Almost all the stores are closed, but Lowes seemed to be open. I was puzzled to see that, until F reminded me that they do sell items for cleaning and sanitizing. Also the Whole Foods parking lot was full, so probably people were inside fighting over toilet paper. We didn't stop anywhere but the ATM, and at the restaurant where we had ordered take-out. They brought it to a table outside at the curb, and then left, in order to maintain some distance from the customers. Then F picked the bag up from the table and brought it to the car.

All in all, it was fun to get out of the house for the first time in over a week. I washed my hands with lots of soap thoroughly when I got home.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #184
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I washed my hands with lots of soap thoroughly when I got home.
Have you given any thought to laundering your money?
Old 03-24-2020, 02:09 PM   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Lots of that going on in New Orleans! Just joking.

Actually I *DID* think about how there could be viruses on the money. Filthy lucre, and all that. I think that I will handle that by putting it where I will not touch it unless I intend to get some out to spend, and then washing my hands after I do that.

I did wash the card that I used at the ATM, with soap and warm water. My thinking is that I touched the ATM keys with my fingers, and then touched the card with those possibly germ-y fingers. So I washed both hands and card very thoroughly with warm soapy water when I got home.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:16 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Having laundered a fair amount in my jeans on any number of occasions that is very doable and maybe a good idea. Maybe in a mesh bag or in a sock with the top pinned shut. Dryer doesn't hurt it either, but it does make it set in odd bends. Flat on a counter top works fine for air drying.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #187
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Having laundered a fair amount in my jeans on any number of occasions that is very doable and maybe a good idea. Maybe in a mesh bag or in a sock with the top pinned shut. Dryer doesn't hurt it either, but it does make it set in odd bends. Flat on a counter top works fine for air drying.
Hmm!! That is interesting to know. I thought the ink on it would wash out, but apparently not.

Although I did not know that paper money could be washed, I have often dried it on counter tops, after getting drenched out in the rain.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #188
Give me a forum ...

Lowes and Home Depot are among the busiest places in our town, based on the couple of shopping trips I have made in the past two weeks. Full of old people buying plants and gardening supplies to keep busy!

The sad thing is that in the past, we (customers) would be smiling at each other from over our carts. No smiles now. It's almost as if people are taking "social distancing" to mean "be distant."

There were lots of cleaning supplies, but only the ones that are either so "green" they are useless as disinfectant, or contain sodium hydroxide (lye) and thus too harsh for many uses. For example, my coated shower stall glass can only be cleaned with cleaners based on hydrogen peroxide or alcohol, neither of which is available. I'm an ingredient reader; looks like quite a few other buyers are, too, or belong to a social network that told them which products to hoard/avoid.

That said, I'm going out tomorrow to get cash, as you advise.

Quote:

Almost all the stores are closed, but Lowes seemed to be open. I was puzzled to see that, until F reminded me that they do sell items for cleaning and sanitizing.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #189
Give me a forum ...

I iron the money, after washing it. Put the bills (one layer of them) on the ironing board with a thin towel, like a dishtowel, on top, and use the medium iron setting.

Money is incredibly dirty. It should be washed even when there isn't a pandemic!

Quote:
Hmm!! That is interesting to know. I thought the ink on it would wash out, but apparently not.

Although I did not know that paper money could be washed, I have often dried it on counter tops, after getting drenched out in the rain.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:38 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Having some cash around is always a good idea.

- George Orwell

Old 03-24-2020, 02:46 PM   #191
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Having some cash around is always a good idea.
Another good idea was listening to your "crazy prepper" warning posts, which were not all that crazy and saved me a lot of grief in recent weeks. Seriously, thanks.
Quote:
Thank you Brewer and several youtubers who were saying we should start preparing for a pandemic just in case.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #192
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Almost all the stores are closed, but Lowes seemed to be open. I was puzzled to see that, until F reminded me that they do sell items for cleaning and sanitizing.
Also items for fixing things in the home and construction supplies, which is considered an essential business allowed to continue during our stay-at-home in Ohio.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another good idea was listening to your "crazy prepper" warning posts, which were not all that crazy and saved me a lot of grief in recent weeks. Seriously, thanks.
Glad it was helpful. Grocery stores clear shelves in a flash when something bad happens.

And to think, I was attacked here repeatedly for "spreading panic" telling people to fill their pantries.

- George Orwell

Old 03-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwraigty View Post
Also items for fixing things in the home and construction supplies, which is considered an essential business allowed to continue during our stay-at-home in Ohio.
Here's a list of essential businesses allowed to remain open in Louisiana right now, updated as of today:

Quote:
Healthcare workers and caregivers
Mental health and Social Service workers
Pharmacy employees
Workers supporting groceries, pharmacies and other retail sales of food and beverage products
Restaurant carryout and quick-serve food operations and food delivery employees
Farmworkers
Electricity and Utility Industry Employees
Critical Manufacturing Employees (medical supply chains, energy, transportation, food, chemicals)
Petroleum, Natural and Propane Gas Workers
Transportation and Logistics Workers
Communications and Information Technology Employees
https://www.knoe.com/content/news/Es...569026911.html

Old 03-24-2020, 05:35 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

I wonder about the feed stores. Livestock needs to eat, too.

- George Orwell

Old 03-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #196
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I wonder about the feed stores. Livestock needs to eat, too.
I buy cattle at auction in May for harvest to direct-sale customers in November. I just hope the markets (auctions) don't get shuttered.

On another note, beef producers are suffering. Cattle prices have collapsed because restaurants aren't buying. Prime cuts, the grade restaurants buy, sets the bar for all other grades of beef.

Several western-states Senators have forwarded legislation to help the ranchers, S3552. Yeah it's a bailout of sorts but hey this is where our food comes from.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #197
Give me a forum ...

Can't they send more beef to grocery stores? We are running out of ground beef and everything else meaty around here. Probably the supply/logistics process is different, or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
I
Several western-states Senators have forwarded legislation to help the ranchers, S3552. Yeah it's a bailout of sorts but hey this is where our food comes from.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #198
Full time employment: Posting here.

https://www.agweb.com/article/derrel...ected-covid-19

Quote:
As noted, grocery stores and restaurants typically sell somewhat different beef products in different proportions. Many retail grocery businesses do not have in-store butchers (though there are exceptions), which limits grocery store flexibility to change product offerings. Retail grocery sales are planned many weeks in advance, not only for advertising schedules, but to ensure logistics of product supply.

There will be a variety of impacts on markets for specific beef products. For example, increased demand for ground beef has resulted in local shortages of product at grocery stores, while reduced restaurant demand may result in weaker middle meat sales. We can expect significant disruptions and stress on beef supply chains given the consumption changes associated with requirements to control COVID-19.

If we was closer I'd barter beef for shrimp but ...
Old 03-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Glad it was helpful. Grocery stores clear shelves in a flash when something bad happens.

And to think, I was attacked here repeatedly for "spreading panic" telling people to fill their pantries.
Your posts are the reason I have a lot of cash.
Thank you![emoji4]
Old 03-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #200
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
I buy cattle at auction in May for harvest to direct-sale customers in November. I just hope the markets (auctions) don't get shuttered.

On another note, beef producers are suffering. Cattle prices have collapsed because restaurants aren't buying. Prime cuts, the grade restaurants buy, sets the bar for all other grades of beef.

How about eliminating trade tariffs. Wouldn’t that help farmers right now?
Closed Thread

Tags
hoarding, panic buying, shortages