Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #241
Administrator

You know they label every box 'Extra Large' just to make guys feel better.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Somewhere on this forum, someone mentioned the possibility of a baby boom 9 months from now due to the lockdown keeping people at home with little to do.
More young folks to pay into the SS system. Could CV19 be a perfidious plot by old folks?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:19 AM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Not hardly. If the virus doesn't kill them off, the old folks will be dead by the time 2020's babies are old enough to pay into SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
More young folks to pay into the SS system. Could CV19 be a perfidious plot by old folks?
Old 03-29-2020, 08:42 AM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Not hardly. If the virus doesn't kill them off, the old folks will be dead by the time 2020's babies are old enough to pay into SS.
So let's do the math. Who's going to start to be eligible for SS when kids born in 2020 start to work?

That'll be 2038-2040. Someone who is 67 in 2039 was born in 1972. So pre-Millennial. It's the Gen-X'ers who hatched the conspiracy! Let's go with that. They haven't been blamed for anything in a while.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Oh no.

(was born in 1970)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #246
Give me a forum ...

I'm OK with that. Hiding between two generations, they get away with everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
It's the Gen-X'ers who hatched the conspiracy! Let's go with that. They haven't been blamed for anything in a while.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:13 AM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But, we FIREd people retire anywhere from 5 to 20 years earlier than ordinary people. And we live longer because we don't work ourselves to the bone, sacrificing our health for 'the man'.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #248
Give me a forum ...

I was keying on the phrase "old folks," not extrapolating to "retired folks." Hey, we could chop logic all day! I think I'll go chop some celery to make tuna salad from the last actual cans of tuna I was able to buy back in February!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
But, we FIREd people retire anywhere from 5 to 20 years earlier than ordinary people. And we live longer because we don't work ourselves to the bone, sacrificing our health for 'the man'.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:14 PM   #249
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
So all I could get was a 50-lb bag of flour.

So my research says, use Home Depot buckets with gamma-seal lids.

So, every Home Depot within 100 miles is flat out of gamma-seal lids and no ETA of new shipments.
Home Depot buckets (at least a few years ago) were not food grade. Do not use them to store flour unless it is kept in the bag.

I have a variety of grains for brewing (and other things) in buckets with gamma seal lids. Some of them are traditional buckets w/gamma seal lids acquired from various places. This bucket: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Encore-Pl...White/20703096 used to be food grade (made by Eoncore plastics) but I haven't verified if that is still true (5+ years later). The Encore site implies this but I haven't researched if the Walmart bucket is using the same buckets as is mentioned here: Industrial Plastic Pails | Buckets

I also have some "Vittles Vault" pet food containers w/gamma seal lids. These ARE food grade containers and appear to be available: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...EaAvyVEALw_wcB These come in various sizes and are pretty nice --- and stackable!

You can also buy gamma seal lids online. For example, Baytec has sold these for many years (never bought them from them so YMMV): https://www.bayteccontainers.com/gam...8aAmuLEALw_wcB
Old 04-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #250
Moderator Emeritus

DW is paranoid that we are going to run out of tp. I can’t convince her that there is no need to go the store every few days to get a ration of tp. So I made a spreadsheet. So far only 5 days of data, but at the current rate of 0.28 rolls used per day, we have a stockpile that should last 173.5 days. Still won’t stop,her from wanting to buy more in a few days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16FCD378-4F7E-41BA-9684-F19210E62779.jpg (109.6 KB, 92 views)
Thinking outside of the box
Old 04-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #251
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thinking outside of the box

Drove into town today and stopped at the ready-mix place. There weren't no line. Got me a truck load of sand. Yeah sand.

...and when there was no meat, we ate fowl and when there was no fowl, we ate crawdad and when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.

Yeah sand
Old 04-03-2020, 09:20 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
DW is paranoid that we are going to run out of tp. I can’t convince her that there is no need to go the store every few days to get a ration of tp. So I made a spreadsheet. So far only 5 days of data, but at the current rate of 0.28 rolls used per day, we have a stockpile that should last 173.5 days. Still won’t stop,her from wanting to buy more in a few days.

You too?

I am tracking both tp and paper towel usage for DW, she is also concerned but so far is trusting my numbers.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #253
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
You too?

I am tracking both tp and paper towel usage for DW, she is also concerned but so far is trusting my numbers.
When doing those withdrawal rate calculations be sure to include SORR. It's not the average rate that will get you, it's the volatility!
Old 04-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When doing those withdrawal rate calculations be sure to include SORR. It's not the average rate that will get you, it's the volatility!

We can control that to a certain degree. I am allergic to beans, DW likes them, but I told her no beans in DC times .
Old 04-04-2020, 04:46 AM   #255
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Good point! And the tp that is being rationed now is very thin - doesn’t look like it can handle volatility.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #256

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but elastic for making masks is basically gone. What I found on Amazon was for delivery in May. May not be as hoarded as TP and now masks, but if everyone is expected to wear a mask, people will be making masks (they are already) and IMO, good ones have elastic. I'm also going to look for that thin piece of metal that molds the mask around the bridge of the nose. DW and DD are planning on making some masks. I'm not going to wear a towel with a safety pin.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:51 AM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Jerry, get some aluminum roof flashing and some time snips. Lifetime supply of metal strips that should be maleable enough.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 04-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #258
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but elastic for making masks is basically gone. What I found on Amazon was for delivery in May. May not be as hoarded as TP and now masks, but if everyone is expected to wear a mask, people will be making masks (they are already) and IMO, good ones have elastic. I'm also going to look for that thin piece of metal that molds the mask around the bridge of the nose. DW and DD are planning on making some masks. I'm not going to wear a towel with a safety pin.

Things I have hear about- using the hair loops on each end of the mask to hook over the ears.

Using ACE bandages and cutting them into strips.

For formable nose pieces- use floral wired. Also pipe cleaners. I would also guess that single strand electrical wire would hold shap, and heavy solder if you have any of that around. Or small diameter copper tubing- such as cap tube.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:54 AM   #259
Give me a forum ...

I just bought a pack of elastic hair ties two days ago and they should be arriving today. Looks like I was just ahead of the curve, as they are pretty well sold out now.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 04-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I watched a U tube of making a mask.

Person used a large paper clip to be the nose shape metal, they unfolded it a bit.

Tags
hoarding, panic buying, shortages