What's next for hoarding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Toilet paper and disinfectant remain unobtainium.

Then, staples such as baking flour and rolled oats (although, as of today, you can still buy cricket flour on Amazon).

Today, I was unable to get watch batteries (needed for fever thermometer, which I had to buy from a FB friend) or my demi-permanent (no peroxide) hair color.

So tell me, what else do I need to buy right away or it will disappear into other people's basements forever?

If you haven't already bought anything you need that is produced in China, do it now. Supply chain is empty an no telling when it will refill.

Toilet paper and disinfectant remain unobtainium.

Then, staples such as baking flour and rolled oats (although, as of today, you can still buy cricket flour on Amazon).

Today, I was unable to get watch batteries (needed for fever thermometer, which I had to buy from a FB friend) or my demi-permanent (no peroxide) hair color.

So tell me, what else do I need to buy right away or it will disappear into other people's basements forever?

I quoted this because I love what spellchecker did there.

If enough of us die I guess nobody will need to hoard anything..maybe booze? it's hard to buy online but maybe it's too expensive to hoard.

Pet food. And cat litter. Having trouble ordering some brands already. Chewy especially.

Animal shelters are overflowing. People are dumping their pets over unwarranted fear they will get COVID from them. In California, shelters are largely shut down to public access. If you can foster an animal, many shelters here have a drive up, take a dog program. Cats too. Bakersfield and Sacramento City got every animal into a foster home.

Pet food. And cat litter. Having trouble ordering some brands already. Chewy especially.

Animal shelters are overflowing. People are dumping their pets over unwarranted fear they will get COVID from them. In California, shelters are largely shut down to public access. If you can foster an animal, many shelters here have a drive up, take a dog program. Cats too. Bakersfield and Sacramento City got every animal into a foster home.

What idiots... it's actually the reverse, all the cats (indoor cats) can only get it from the people in the house.

Canned vegetables were in very short supply when I went to Kroger a few days ago. Also noticed that boxes of dried pasta were quite scarce. Generic ibuprofen and other pain/fever meds were also depleted.

Oddly, though, the usual ones that people stockpile in a panic (like before a big snowstorm) were readily available: milk, bread, eggs, cheese, etc.

I vote for gasoline hoarding. I just topped up my tank and I can't hoard any more for a while. Nice low prices. $2.35 a gallon here in Pa last time I checked.

I vote for gasoline hoarding. I just topped up my tank and I can't hoard any more for a while. Nice low prices. $2.35 a gallon here in Pa last time I checked.

Are you kidding? Gasoline is about to be given away for free. $5 oil?

I would invest in refineries but there is probably no demand for gas so they might not profit from the huge spread.

Any danger in keeping a filled, 2-gal gas can in a hot Florida garage? We used to keep one in the MD garage for the lawnmower, and MD summers get terribly hot, but FL's hot for 6 months at a time. Just wondering.

Sports drinks. For some reason there seem to be much less of them around.

Microwave popcorn. Interestingly, the bottled kernel popcorn was still plenty.

Thinking about this one too.
Can't even get regular mayonnaise around here.
Thinking about checking out the downtown bodegas, as during hurricanes there is much less hoarding there.

Chocolate chips! I was pretty pleased with my stock of flour and dry yeast, which is there for bread making, which is a constant. Figured bread and water would keep us ticking till we got bored. Treats might be a good thing along about week 3 or 4 or 5 though

In two weeks there will be a run on hair clippers. :D
I've already learned how to give myself a haircut and bought a Wahl clipper kit (I'm super frugal/cheap and bought it 6 months ago). There are YouTube videos on how to give yourself a haircut. DW has to trim my neck, though, as I can't use the double mirror trick with any accuracy.

Chocolate chips! I was pretty pleased with my stock of flour and dry yeast, which is there for bread making, which is a constant. Figured bread and water would keep us ticking till we got bored. Treats might be a good thing along about week 3 or 4 or 5 though

Right you are. Barely any left right now along with sugar and flour.
Chocolate chip cookies baking by me coming up soon enough.

Thinking about this one too.
Can't even get regular mayonnaise around here.
Thinking about checking out the downtown bodegas, as during hurricanes there is much less hoarding there.
It is very easy to make with canola oil, an egg and a dash of yellow mustard.

Here's a link https://www.fifteenspatulas.com/homemade-mayonnaise/ (some notes: Use canola oil instead of olive oil. It works better. Also we don't use salt and the mustard need not be dried; out of the jar is fine)

Last edited:

Not nearly as easy to hoard as TP and people are driving much less.

Costco had 4 pound plus bags of Kirkland chocolate chips before Christmas at a very good price. Better than Nestle. I haven't looked recently, but if they have them you might want to pick up a bag or two.

Huh? Everything looks to be spelled as I wished. But I'm basically losing my sanity anyway, so...what did I miss?

I quoted this because I love what spellchecker did there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom