What's the COVID Testing Situation in Your Area?

I wonder how people who need to travel and need a negative test are dealing with this whole situation...

Just read an article where people are overwhelming the ERs with requests for testing because they don't know where to go. 80% are immediately discharged after taking up the time of the ER staff. They are pleading with people not to come there for testing.

The two hospitals closet to us have sent out press releases to the local media outlets and taken on TV ads to tell people they are not doing covid testing and will turn you away if you come for that. Only if your symptoms are "severe" will they consider you.

Way back in early December, after reading about Omicron I decided to buy a few tests from Walmart. It seemed obvious to me that the demand for testing would spike with Omicron. They have been used up as since I recently gave them to sick family members and a friend. So, now I have order more, only this time the price is 33% more. Lucky me :rolleyes:.

My understanding is that Walmart and other pharmacies had an agreement to sell the tests at cost thru the end of December. Now the price has gone up $5.

I wonder how people who need to travel and need a negative test are dealing with this whole situation...

As I posted up-thread, it's possible to schedule a PCR test at a local pharmacy about 4-5 days in advance here in metro Atlanta. I'd imagine that's the case in many other locales, as well. If I needed one for travel, I'd simply try booking an appointment online starting about a week in advance of my departure.

Also live in MN in North Metro area. We have some at home kits that are near expiration. We will use them before we travel or just after we travel to get kids back to school with peace of mind. Littles doesn't qualify for any rapid testing, so we have to do physician visit which we just got same day this week @$120.00 but worth the price (hey its just money) to clear her back to daycare and keep everyone safe.

I feel your frustration though. I haven't been symptomatic which I consider checks 2 of the symptoms boxes, not just one...so if I have a cough and no runny nose nor fever I wouldn't test. If I had runny nose and fever, I would test. I haven't checked both boxes since the pandemic began, but was in close contact once and decided to get rapid tested through a drive-through...that was in October and it was super frustrating finding a site. I did have to wait a day. Basically it appears across the board its not as convenient as one would hope. Maybe they need to add COVID testing to all the Drug screening locations across the country, might be worth considering that business model. They are already inevitably having to administer one test, just add this to the list.

Amazon currently has the On/Go rapid home test available for shipping. $25 for two tests, but looks like it might take 2 weeks to be delivered.

https://smile.amazon.com/at-Home-COVID-19-Antigen-Self-Test-Authorized/dp/B09FP6HWCV/

I just ordered one with business prime. Says 21-28th delivery which may or may not be fast enough for our return from our trip to get kids back into daycare/school.

There is no possible way to contain the virus without self isolation given this scenario. I think that's why people are sort of beginning to admit its here to stay until what, everyone becomes infected...or infected 2x or ahh hell who really knows.

... We have some at home kits that are near expiration. We will use them before we travel or just after we travel to get kids back to school with peace of mind. /snip/

Double check on the expiration dates. Binax was given authorization to extend the expiration date on some of the at home tests. I don't remember the specifics, but I would dig a little deeper before assuming they will expire.

There is no possible way to contain the virus without self isolation given this scenario.

From hearing how many healthcare workers are getting it (who tend to comply with PPE requirements the best), I don't think there will be any decent way to totally avoid it without completely isolating.

From hearing how many healthcare workers are getting it (who tend to comply with PPE requirements the best), I don't think there will be any decent way to totally avoid it without completely isolating.
You're assuming that healthcare workers are getting infected on the job. By and large, that's likely not the case. They're getting infected in their personal lives just like everyone else.

Many of my coworkers have turned up positive in the past couple of weeks after Christmas and NYE gatherings and travel. I have at least 2 people close to me who caught it from their kids who got infected in school and brought it home to mom and dad. Even if the healthcare worker follows strict protocols at work, they don't mask up at home around their spouse and children. And they didn't mask up when they got together with friends and family over the holidays either.

The problem is you simply can't live your entire life with a mask on.

Nope, not in Wake county. Our county is doing a good job and has added massive test capacity. The situation in NC depends very much on the county.

DW found out she may have been exposed on Tuesday evening. After thinking about it, on Wednesday morning she made an appointment for Thursday morning. This is at a county site that requires you to get an appointment.

It was all done without leaving the car and took her only 10 minutes. She got the results last night in 8 hours. (Negative, thankfully.)

I’m concerned that she got tested significantly too soon. Every virus has an incubation period before one gets sick or even has enough virus to be detectable. Before 48 hours is too soon, even with omicron. Likely a 3-5 day window is more appropriate. Before omicron, the recommended time between exposure and recommended test time was 5 days. Your wife’s test was at ~36 hours. She should mask when out and watch for symptoms. She tested during a window of time when she should be negative, even if infected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, not in Wake county. Our county is doing a good job and has added massive test capacity. The situation in NC depends very much on the county.

DW found out she may have been exposed on Tuesday evening. After thinking about it, on Wednesday morning she made an appointment for Thursday morning. This is at a county site that requires you to get an appointment.

It was all done without leaving the car and took her only 10 minutes. She got the results last night in 8 hours. (Negative, thankfully.)

[\QUOTE]

I’m concerned that she got tested significantly too soon. Every virus has an incubation period before one gets sick or even has enough virus to be detectable. Before 48 hours is too soon, even with omicron. Likely a 3-5 day window is more appropriate. Before omicron, the recommended time between exposure and recommended test time was 5 days. Your wife’s test was at ~36 hours. She should mask when out and watch for symptoms. She tested during a window of time when she should be negative, even if infected.
My bad English. I left out an eliptical phrase. Let me try again.

She found out on Tuesday evening that she might have been exposed the previous Friday. After sleeping on it, Wednesday morning she signed up for a test to be taken on Thursday.

Able to schedule local health service testing same day if checking in AM. Try in PM and get appt next day.

Local drug stores getting home test kits in each day, but folks are HOARDING. At least one drug chain is limiting purchases as a result.

Local drug stores getting home test kits in each day, but folks are HOARDING. At least one drug chain is limiting purchases as a result.
That will only get worse on Saturday when insurance starts covering the tests up to 8/month/person.

What I'm afraid of is all the people who will get a negative home test and think that means they don't have COVID.

A positive test means you have COVID.
You don't need to repeat the test.
You don't need to go for a PCR test to confirm it.

A negative test doesn't mean much of anything.
You still may have COVID.
You still may be contagious.
A negative rapid should not be used as justification for returning to work or school or attending events or being around other people if you're not feeling well. Many people made that mistake over the holidays and paid the price.

That will only get worse on Saturday when insurance starts covering the tests up to 8/month/person.

What I'm afraid of is all the people who will get a negative home test and think that means they don't have COVID.

A negative rapid should not be used as justification for returning to work or school or attending events or being around other people if you're not feeling well. Many people made that mistake over the holidays and paid the price.
I read that someone will test positive with a PCR test several days before they first test positive with a rapid antigen test. Here's one source:

https://www.physiciansweekly.com/some-at-home-tests-may-miss-omicron-in-early-stages-of-infection-2

"The researchers focused on 30 people infected with COVID-19 at five workplaces that experienced what were most likely outbreaks of the omicron variant last month. The people received both saliva-based polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests and rapid antigen-based tests involving nasal swabs. It took three days, on average, for people to test positive on the two rapid antigen tests after their first positive PCR result, researchers reported. In four cases, people transmitted the virus to others after a negative result."

This is pretty much what the NHS says when ordering the tests online (I got a box delivered yesterday). It says if you have symptoms then don’t take a lateral flow test. Instead, isolate and take a PCR test.

This is pretty much what the NHS says when ordering the tests online (I got a box delivered yesterday). It says if you have symptoms then don’t take a lateral flow test. Instead, isolate and take a PCR test.

That works if the PCR test is available in a timely basis but where I am the local appointments are several days out for the PCR test. So we have several of the home tests. If we get symptoms and take the home test and are positive then we know we have it. If we have symptoms and the home test is negative then we will have to hunt for the PCR test, maybe drive aways to find a test.

That works if the PCR test is available in a timely basis but where I am the local appointments are several days out for the PCR test. So we have several of the home tests. If we get symptoms and take the home test and are positive then we know we have it. If we have symptoms and the home test is negative then we will have to hunt for the PCR test, maybe drive aways to find a test.

Fortunately for us we don't have a problem getting a same day PCR test, but the main point is that if you have symptoms then you should isolate until you know for sure you don't have Covid, and as Disneysteve points out above, a negative LFT is no guarantee that you don't have Covid. LFTs are used here mostly by workers and students who test themselves 3 or more times a week in case they have asymptomatic Covid, and the guidance is if an LFT shows positive to assume you have Covid and self isolate until a PCR test shows negative.

I know about 8 friends and relatives who had a positive LFT and all of them were confirmed as positive by a PCR test. Some of them later developed symptoms, some not. As I said earlier my sister knew she had been in close contact with someone she needed to meet with at work who had tested positive a day later. My sister has had Covid, plus 3 vaccines so when she tested negative 4 days in a row she thought she had avoided it, but on day 5 she tested positive, confirmed with a PCR, and then symptoms appeared. The good news is that no one else in her office has caught it so she is pleased that she didn't pass it on to anyone, not even her husband and daughter. She is going back into work tomorrow.

Alan, great to hear your sister got better so quickly!

I live in Ontario, Canada and PCR testing is only available for high-risk individuals and individuals who work in high risk settings who are symptomatic, as testing is now severely backlogged. Rapid tests are hard to come by as well (all sold out). I could however go to a pharmacy and they can administer the test for $35. Not economically feasible for many people. We are supposed to assume it's covid if we are having cold like symptoms and self isolate.

Alan, great to hear your sister got better so quickly!

Thanks.

Now our son has some symptoms so took a PCR test today. The LFTs he has been taking for work have been negative but now he says he feels “crappy” so he didn’t go into work yesterday or today.

Alan, sorry to hear of the ongoing Covid issues in your family. Hope your son recovers quickly from whatever ails him!

+1. And if it's COVID, he has antibodies now from his vax plus maybe his T-cells still remember his last bout with COVID and will kick it to the curb fast.

I'd say it means "something". The data used to get the tests approved let 10 or 15 percent through, but those were mostly early disease stage, from what I recall. The population data indicates spread from an asymptomatic person is very rare, so symptoms mean you're spreading.
Yes, yes, yes! If you don't feel well, stay at home! This is true with or without a test. Symptoms trump a negative test...even if it's just a cold or the regular flu, you really don't want to spread unpleasantness...stay home!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom