Join Early Retirement Today

What's the COVID Testing Situation in Your Area?
Old 01-05-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What's the COVID Testing Situation in Your Area?

A friend of mine suspected he might have Covid and because he's caring for his 89 year old mother (she's immunized and boosted) he wanted to get tested for Covid.

Here in Minnesota there are only a few walk-in test sites, in fact, they just shut down walk-ins at one of the sites because they were being overrun by people. So, you need an appointment. Appointments are running 4 to 5 days out. If you get the nasal swab PCR test, considered most accurate, you get your results in 2 to 3 days. Thus, if you think you have Covid in Minnesota it could be a week before you know for sure whether or not you have it. I think this is unacceptable.

What is the testing situation where you are at? Please give your state or city and describe how long it takes to get tested.

Now, consider the latest guidelines from the CDC. If you have Covid, and have no symptoms, or symptoms are resolved, you should isolate for 5 days. OK, so let's suppose I have symptoms (sore throat, runny nose, body aches) and think I have Covid. I make an appointment to get tested in 4 days and isolate myself. After 2 days I have no symptoms. After 4 days I go get tested. After 6 days, 4 days with no symptoms, my test comes back and I have tested positive.

According to the CDC I have to isolate for 1 more day, which I would have done anyways. So what good did getting tested do for me?

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2022, 12:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last time I needed a test was a couple months ago, but got one same day at PCP office, with results later that night, second test was next day and late night result.
I was able to order home test online and get within a week.
SIL was able to order and pick up home test at Walgreens same day a few weeks ago.
This is PNW area.

In your case, with a positive result and no symptoms, I would isolate 5 days from positive, added to the days you have already isolated. But I am extra cautious and around some who can't be vaxxed or are undergoing cancer treatment.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Appointments are running 4 to 5 days out. If you get the nasal swab PCR test, considered most accurate, you get your results in 2 to 3 days. Thus, if you think you have Covid in Minnesota it could be a week before you know for sure whether or not you have it. I think this is unacceptable.

What is the testing situation where you are at? Please give your state or city and describe how long it takes to get tested.
Here in metro Atlanta, the situation is just as bad. All testing is by appointment only (AFAIK), and the first available test of any kind (rapid or PCR) that I could find in my area is four days from now, Sunday afternoon. All home test kits are completely sold out online and in stores, last I checked. I suppose this is what we should have expected when over 400,000 people are testing positive every day in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
According to the CDC I have to isolate for 1 more day, which I would have done anyways. So what good did getting tested do for me?
Testing 4-5 days after exposure and (probably) several days after the onset of symptoms is fairly useless for most people. Treatments such as the new Pfizer or Merck pills need to begin within 1-2 days of symptom onset to be effective, so knowing that you're COVID-positive so long after the fact isn't substantially "actionable", IMHO, especially with omicron having such a rapid onset of illness after infection.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I think it is similar here in NC. Must have an appointment to get tested, first available appointment 5 days out. All the home tests are sold out locally. But if you check Walmart.com occasionally (usually early in the morning) they have the home tests for 2 day shipping.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:35 PM   #5

On the ground in San Diego

Testing was easy to obtain as recently as mid December. A friend was able to get a walk up test on 12/22... had to wait in line for an hour... but it was available.

There are *no* rapid tests available for sale. All of the stores have signs stating they have no tests.

Not sure about the current state of walk up tests - but appointments for the county run PCR tests are 5-7 days out.

A friend tested through Kaiser Permanente (largest insurer in our county) on NYE. She received her positive results yesterday. Her boyfriend has different insurance and can't get tested through his provider and can't find a public/county testing site with availability. His workplace is asking for test results since he's been home sick for the past week.

Same friend wanted to test again through Kaiser to confirm her covid is cleared... was told they have changed the rules - only really sick people can get referred for testing - not just sore throat or sniffles. (FWIW, her symptoms were sore throat and sniffles - and she tested positive.)

Another location I'm following: San Jose, CA. My son tested positive at a pay clinic on NYE. No one else in his girlfriend's household tested positive (he'd been there 3 days). They've been trying to test again since. Drove to San Rafael to a public testing site - missed being tested by about 10 cars when the site ran out of tests. (4 hours down the tube.) Got appointments in Gilroy CA on Monday. Showed up early but line was over 2 hours long and they had zoom classes they needed to attend. (Classes started on Monday at their University - which they are not at - because of covid positive son.) One of the household was able to find a rapid test on Monday - and tested positive. Girlfriend had 1 day of achyness...

At this point son and girlfriend are heading to school on Friday and hope to not test positive. (Son shouldn't have to test since he has an official 'positive' and requisite number of days since.)

If you don't need to interact with others (retired, not in school)... sure, skip the test with mild symptoms... but if you have in person work or school, are a caregiver for a senior or immune compromised person, etc... - you should get tested... which is hard to do these days.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:54 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Here in the Chicago suburbs, we can still walk into sites and get both tests free. We have 4 sites within 3 miles, 1 within walking distance (if it's nice out since it is a half mile away).

I haven't actually been tested in about 2 weeks, but at that time no waiting, immediate test results for the rapid test and the PCP results by email the next day.

I understand the drive-through, stay in your car, sites do have lines. But I haven't actually gone to one in a long time.
Old 01-05-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My neighbor has been sick for over a week and so has his wife. Both un-vaxed and he was hauled away today with ambulance. His wife called me this afternoon and said he was tested, and he has covid.
He has many health issues and I'm very worried about him.

Here testing is not that easy to get in my understanding. We live in America not sure why testing hasn't been made easier for people.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I don’t have a clue as to where to get a test. I saw something on Facebook that a medical co was giving tests at the school - one time only during an afternoon about a week ago.

The local health dept sponsors mega vaccine clinics with no mention on how to get tested.

Getting the vaccine locally is easy - getting a test is a different story.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
On the ground in San Diego

Testing was easy to obtain as recently as mid December. A friend was able to get a walk up test on 12/22... had to wait in line for an hour... but it was available.

There are *no* rapid tests available for sale. All of the stores have signs stating they have no tests.

Not sure about the current state of walk up tests - but appointments for the county run PCR tests are 5-7 days out.

A friend tested through Kaiser Permanente (largest insurer in our county) on NYE. She received her positive results yesterday. Her boyfriend has different insurance and can't get tested through his provider and can't find a public/county testing site with availability. His workplace is asking for test results since he's been home sick for the past week.

Same friend wanted to test again through Kaiser to confirm her covid is cleared... was told they have changed the rules - only really sick people can get referred for testing - not just sore throat or sniffles. (FWIW, her symptoms were sore throat and sniffles - and she tested positive.)

Another location I'm following: San Jose, CA. My son tested positive at a pay clinic on NYE. No one else in his girlfriend's household tested positive (he'd been there 3 days). They've been trying to test again since. Drove to San Rafael to a public testing site - missed being tested by about 10 cars when the site ran out of tests. (4 hours down the tube.) Got appointments in Gilroy CA on Monday. Showed up early but line was over 2 hours long and they had zoom classes they needed to attend. (Classes started on Monday at their University - which they are not at - because of covid positive son.) One of the household was able to find a rapid test on Monday - and tested positive. Girlfriend had 1 day of achyness...

At this point son and girlfriend are heading to school on Friday and hope to not test positive. (Son shouldn't have to test since he has an official 'positive' and requisite number of days since.)

If you don't need to interact with others (retired, not in school)... sure, skip the test with mild symptoms... but if you have in person work or school, are a caregiver for a senior or immune compromised person, etc... - you should get tested... which is hard to do these days.
Too late now, but the County runs a testing site at the Fairgrounds in San Jose. Appointments have been running three days out. Occasionally you can snag a cancellation. Stanford has a walk up clinic at the medical center and the Redwood City site accepts walk ups as well, even though it isn't shown on the Stanford Healthcare website. There are some other options that are not free and some organizations that hold clinics at schools and churches. I had three tests in four days. Stanford, PAMF and the County.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:39 PM   #10

Testing sites are overwhelmed. They simply don't have the capacity to handle the outrageous volume of people wanting/needing to be tested.

If you have been exposed and now have symptoms, just assume you are positive and quarantine accordingly. If someone else in your household has COVID and other family members are sick, they have COVID too. You don't need to prove each case with a test.

Exceptions? If you are immunocompromised or pregnant, if you are unvaccinated and high risk due to other medical conditions, or if you are 80+, get tested and seek out monoclonal antibody therapy. Otherwise, quarantine and treat the symptoms and seek medical care if your symptoms worsen.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 06:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I don’t have a clue as to where to get a test. I saw something on Facebook that a medical co was giving tests at the school - one time only during an afternoon about a week ago.

The local health dept sponsors mega vaccine clinics with no mention on how to get tested.

Getting the vaccine locally is easy - getting a test is a different story.
I can't fathom that we're fairly close together and I'm surrounded with free testing sites and you can't find one. How far west of Chicago are you? PM me with that if you wish.

Call all the franchise drug stores within driving distance and see if any of them are testing or can give you clues where to get tested. Call the local hospital and ask for help getting tested. Call your doc and ask. Call any of the medical practices you can think of such as Amita or Dupage Medical Group, Northwest Medicine, etc. Check TrilabCovidTesting.com. Google Covid testing and see what comes up.

I know you're in a much more rural location than me (everyone is in a much more rural location than me), but it's not like you're in the Artic Circle or such. There's gotta be something around you.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Call all the franchise drug stores within driving distance and see if any of them are testing or can give you clues where to get tested. Call the local hospital and ask for help getting tested. Call your doc and ask. Call any of the medical practices you can think of such as Amita or Dupage Medical Group, Northwest Medicine, etc. Check TrilabCovidTesting.com. Google Covid testing and see what comes up.
Also check the website of your county health department. They should list testing resources.

Keep in mind that most of those places are swamped so it could take days to get an appointment, but there should be options out there.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Madison,Wisconsin, which is about 30 minutes from me, has walk-in PCR testing Monday through Friday with results within 24 hours.

I haven't needed their services (knock on wood).
Trailwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Testing sites are overwhelmed. They simply don't have the capacity to handle the outrageous volume of people wanting/needing to be tested.

If you have been exposed and now have symptoms, just assume you are positive and quarantine accordingly. If someone else in your household has COVID and other family members are sick, they have COVID too. You don't need to prove each case with a test.

Exceptions? If you are immunocompromised or pregnant, if you are unvaccinated and high risk due to other medical conditions, or if you are 80+, get tested and seek out monoclonal antibody therapy. Otherwise, quarantine and treat the symptoms and seek medical care if your symptoms worsen.
The problem with that is if you get Long Covid, you need a positive PCR to get treatment at most clinics. It's a huge problem in insurance billing.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:36 PM   #15

I want to thank @disneysteve for his post #10 above. The info may be out there but that was a great summary.
Yesterday and today I drove by a drive-in testing site on my way to a job. The cars were lined up a half-mile by 11 AM yesterday and when I went by at 1 PM today.
I'll be by there again tomorrow and report.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 07:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
The problem with that is if you get Long Covid, you need a positive PCR to get treatment at most clinics. It's a huge problem in insurance billing.
Interesting point. If there’s no documentation that you had COVID, they can’t call it Long COVID later. That is a problem.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking1 View Post
Yesterday and today I drove by a drive-in testing site on my way to a job. The cars were lined up a half-mile by 11 AM yesterday and when I went by at 1 PM today.
I'll be by there again tomorrow and report.
I heard that one local site got shut down the other day because the line of cars waiting stretched so far down the road it was creating a traffic and safety hazard. I’m not sure what happened after that.
Old 01-05-2022, 07:45 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

How do people get COVID tests needed to meet requirements to fly internationally? Tests must be done 72 hours prior to,departure. It sounds like results may not get back within 3 days.
I am flying out of the country mid February (?) and need to learn more about when and where to get tested.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnot View Post
How do people get COVID tests needed to meet requirements to fly internationally? Tests must be done 72 hours prior to,departure. It sounds like results may not get back within 3 days.
I am flying out of the country mid February (?) and need to learn more about when and where to get tested.
For travel, for a while now, you need to look into private testing clinics. Not the public testing facilities, which are supposed to be for those with symptoms.

And of course, everything changed in the past 2-3 weeks. So, I'm not surprised that the testing infrastructure hasn't caught up. The country has gone from 100k cases per day to 500k+... Now 10x that for those getting tested. The system is overwhelmed.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 08:23 PM   #20

SF East Bay, California

Free tests at CVS Minute Clinic are 5 days out, StatMed free drive through test slots tonight, paid sites available tomorrow. County clinic tests a week out BUT you must meet 'criteria.' I don't meet the criteria (don't work in Healthcare or schools, not a minority, or immunocompromised)
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote