Where are the Preppers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if it were a fit subject for the forum, the vast majority who are prepared would not say a word publicly. Most expected the executive order of the last week authorizing the gubmint to seize any "hoarded" supplies it desires. Op sec, baby.

But the "government" has been monitoring preppers for years, just waiting for the right disaster to swoop in and grab all the TP...

Even if it were a fit subject for the forum, the vast majority who are prepared would not say a word publicly. Most expected the executive order of the last week authorizing the gubmint to seize any "hoarded" supplies it desires. Op sec, baby.

Well any true, smart prepper would never use identifiable info on a public form, nor connect to it without proper VPN/Tor etc. :)

+1, and we are not allowed to talk about true prepping on this site.
Everyone knows what happens when you mention the "G" word.

PM any of the moderators if you have questions about the community rules. (Hint: they are not what you imply)

I don't even know what the "G" word is. Government? I use it all the time.

Now try saying ***** (the h word) and see where that gets you. (Not my asterisks).

Well any true, smart prepper would never use identifiable info on a public form, nor connect to it without proper VPN/Tor etc. :)

Presumably. Just mentioning that you are not likely to hear boo from the dyed in the wool crowd.

I have a lot of prepper type books just because I am interested in self sufficient living, saving money and live in an earthquake / fire danger area. I never really thought I'd have to prepare for a pandemic, but it sure hasn't hurt lately.

When this all started I already had 100 rolls of toilet paper on hand, just because I regularly buy it in bulk by the pound online with coupons and store rewards. It is a lot cheaper that way than buying it at the grocery store. Plus I had a month or two of food in the house from stockpiling food on sale.

Is a Prepper anyone who keeps more stuff than me and an unprepared person anyone that keeps less?

BREAKING NEWS

The DEA just seized two tons of toilet paper wrapped in cocaine.

I have watched enough of The Walking Dead to know I do not want to survive as a prepper. I would be very whiny very quickly.

I have a lot of prepper type books just because I am interested in self sufficient living, saving money and live in an earthquake / fire danger area. I never really thought I'd have to prepare for a pandemic, but it sure hasn't hurt lately.

x2 on the self sufficient living part (though it was for when I retired away from the concrete jungle).

I'm glad I had 12 rolls of TP on hand before they disappeared from the stores, I'm down to about half now and starting to consider alternatives including the bidet shower. I've used these before when traveling abroad and really prefer them for the cleaner feeling anyway.

As for the food, except for a few items it's not too bad finding what I eat. The worst part is having to go to the store wondering who touched what and then wiping everything down after getting home. I do have the usual pantry food plus a few MREs etc and some extra Brita filters for pure emergencies but only enough for about 3-5 days.

I just got my bi-weekly edition of Zomby Apockolipse news, and it only a couple of corona virus articles .

Is a Prepper anyone who keeps more stuff than me and an unprepared person anyone that keeps less?
A prepper is the person not worried about TP.

Where are the preppers?...

The local outdoors outlet has defied the Governor's orders to close as a non-essential business. Their parking lot is reportedly filled with out-of-state license plates, mostly from New York and Massachusetts. Not mentioned in the news, but easy to guess, is what they're after. This is the biggest g** and ammo dealer around.

Now, it doesn't bother me that some folks want to arm themselves. They have that right. For all I know they could be the smart ones. Let's not make this political!

What galls me is that they come HERE, defying their own state's and our state's orders, no doubt bringing the virus with them. What's even worse is the greed of the store, staying open to rake in the windfall, while all the other stores around them, and all the other big outdoors outlets in the state, are closed. They're putting their own neighbors at risk.

All the beaches around here have had to be closed. Locals can't go for an isolated stroll, because these same people were driving up in mobs from their own states to congregate on the beaches here.

I'm starting to like the idea they have down in the keys. Block the highway and make them show proof of residence at the border!

It's really sad that it's come to this.

If they were really prepared, they would already have that stuff. Maybe they're just desperate for a new flannel shirt.

I'm starting to like the idea they have down in the keys. Block the highway and make them show proof of residence at the border!

County north of here has a "locals only" ordinance. Any vehicle not registered in the county is towed. They're afraid of people coming up to the backcountry snowmobiling and needing assistance. They don't have the capacity.

Fine line between being a prepper and hoarder? Just a sec... why is there a black helicopter.....

If you want my stuff you better have the level 3+ armor and hope I do not aim for the junk.

This isn't the emergency they were looking for. In fact, I'll bet most committed preppers don't even think of this as a "true emergency," which has a specific visualized scenario for them. Gangs of looters and pillagers coming to their locations to steal their toilet paper, instead of little old ladies buying it all up during senior hour.

But here's a scenario that is resulting in the greatest personal behavioral consequences that I can remember in my lifetime, more than the gas shortages of the early 1980s (I'm meaning the granular, personal level), with most of the population confused and afraid and running out of money - and this is not that. There has been no looting and pillaging, in fact, crime has fallen, and instead of hordes of walking dead moving into the countryside, it's the rich in their carriages, it's (as per above) the gun-buyers going across state lines not to rob, but to spend money.

Actually, you could argue that this is a time that preppers should be breaking out the freeze-dried food, so that they could be spared the danger of contagion at the grocery, but I wonder if any of them are doing so.

Now maybe it will come to the single prepper scenario that they have prepared for, and they will literally have the last laugh, but judging from other countries' experiences, judging from previous times of hardship and uncertainty, even of plague (of which there are many, many historical accounts), they are on the spectrum of connection along with the rest of us, going out to buy supplies as needed, deep cleaning the house, walking the dog, etc. As someone who studied history, I'm trying to record my impressions of this unfolding tragedy and emergency.

As someone who studied history, I'm trying to record my impressions of this unfolding tragedy and emergency.

I like this approach. I'm trying to look at the big picture, too.

My latest pondering has been around all the kids who are out of school, possibly for the rest of the school year.

I imagine this will have a pretty profound effect on them, in many ways. There will be a sense of shared experience, for one thing. Closer family bonds maybe.

We joked about the word "Coronials" being applied to the babies born 9 months from now. But I think it's more likely to become the name for the cadre of people whose school years were turned upside down by this.

There will be a well-defined "before time" when kids actually had to sit in a school building all day, and an "after time" when it became routine to do school work remotely.

Where are the preppers?...

The local outdoors outlet has defied the Governor's orders to close as a non-essential business. Their parking lot is reportedly filled with out-of-state license plates, mostly from New York and Massachusetts. Not mentioned in the news, but easy to guess, is what they're after. This is the biggest g** and ammo dealer around.

Now, it doesn't bother me that some folks want to arm themselves. They have that right. For all I know they could be the smart ones. Let's not make this political!

What galls me is that they come HERE, defying their own state's and our state's orders, no doubt bringing the virus with them. What's even worse is the greed of the store, staying open to rake in the windfall, while all the other stores around them, and all the other big outdoors outlets in the state, are closed. They're putting their own neighbors at risk.

All the beaches around here have had to be closed. Locals can't go for an isolated stroll, because these same people were driving up in mobs from their own states to congregate on the beaches here.

If you're going to stop people at the border maybe NY and Mass can put a tarif on Maine lobsters. Glad they kept the gun shops open. There is a contingent out there that would assume it's an action to start the weapons round up.
I took DM to Myrtle Beach before all this went to hell. Talked to the owner of the house to extend our stay thinking this is a great place to isolate. It's off season and pretty deserted. We are being force evacuated by the mayor, so back NY. Not thinking I'll be vacationing in this city soon.

Here in CT, firearms shops can still operate by appointment. The catch is that if you don't already have a permit, you can't buy arms or ammunition. Even in the best of times, it takes a long time to get that permit (it took me almost 10 months from start to finish) and involves required classes, a detailed application with supporting docs required, background checks, an in-person interview and fingerprinting at your local police station, and a second trip to the state police headquarters. I suspect none of these things are occurring presently. So if you waited until now, it's tough luck for you.

If you're going to stop people at the border maybe NY and Mass can put a tarif on Maine lobsters. Glad they kept the gun shops open. There is a contingent out there that would assume it's an action to start the weapons round up.
I took DM to Myrtle Beach before all this went to hell. Talked to the owner of the house to extend our stay thinking this is a great place to isolate. It's off season and pretty deserted. We are being force evacuated by the mayor, so back NY. Not thinking I'll be vacationing in this city soon.

Like I said, it's sad that it's come to this. I hate government over-reach. Give anyone even a small amount of power and it goes right to their head.

That said, I'm starting to see the logic in banning non-essential travel. I hate that they closed the beaches around here, but I have to admit that the number of out-of-state plates is WAY down, and the few I saw were from neighboring states, unlike before the closure.

Once again, a few entitled a-holes have ruined it, not only for the locals, but for all the responsible visitors who weren't causing problems.

We joked about the word "Coronials" being applied to the babies born 9 months from now. But I think it's more likely to become the name for the cadre of people whose school years were turned upside down by this.

There will be a well-defined "before time" when kids actually had to sit in a school building all day, and an "after time" when it became routine to do school work remotely.

What an interesting thought, and you may very well be right. Since this is such totally uncharted territory, it will clearly be some time before new patterns of living are recognized as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom