Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Who’s Really At Risk of Dying From Covid-19
Old 04-12-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who’s Really At Risk of Dying From Covid-19

I keep seeing stories showing younger people dying of Covid-19, though literally only one I’ve seen was obviously in good health. I suppose media chooses to show younger victims to encourage us to stay home, or just to be provocative (click bait). This morning I saw a 54 yo schoolteacher passed away, that’s very sad, but by all appearance she was not in good health to begin with.

CDC stats seem to clearly show those with underlying health issues (heart disease, cancer, respiratory issues, diabetes, compromised immune systems, etc.) are the ones most at risk. The same people who are usually less able to fight off many serious illnesses. The elderly are at risk only because they typically have a higher incidence of underlying health issues and weaker immune systems. Not to be cavalier about it, but those of our generation in good health are much lower risk as well, not every 65+ yo is at high risk. And there’s a small group of healthy people with a genetic predisposition to suffer or die from Covid-19.

78% of deaths have been 65 plus. Over 90% of deaths have been 55 plus.

The young should stay at home until we sort out testing to avoid infecting others and overloading health care resources. But that doesn’t mean they’re at risk themselves. I wish the media would quit highlighting younger deaths, without noting they’re exceptions.

The risks are nowhere near equal for us all...

[Edit: Added a chart to show how different raw # of deaths is versus number of deaths per age group population. IMO we should focus on the second chart, the first is too easy to misunderstand.]

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Covid Pop.jpg (308.7 KB, 127 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2020, 07:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

This may be behind a paywall...

Quote:
The coronavirus is killing about 1 in 10 hospitalized middle-aged patients and 4 in 10 older than 85 in the United States, and is particularly lethal to men even when taking into account common chronic diseases that exacerbate risk, according to previously unpublished data from a company that aggregates real-time patient data from 1,000 hospitals and 180,000 health-care providers.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...8f8_story.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300.JPG (59.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 301.JPG (49.4 KB, 120 views)
Old 04-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

In some states, death rates from Covod-19 also very disproportional by race.

Quote:
April 8, 2020 -- In states such as Michigan and Louisiana, as well as in cities like Chicago and Milwaukee, African American people are making up a disproportionately large number of COVID-19 cases and deaths, officials say.

In Chicago, African American people make up 30% of the population but account for 52% of the 4,600 confirmed cases, said Allison Arwady, MD, MPH, commissioner of the Chicago Department of Public Health, during a presss conference this week. African American people have also made up 72% of the 98 deaths in Chicago residents. The death rate for black Chicagoans is seven times the rate for the city’s white residents, she said.
Quote:
The report said that COVID-19 may disproportionately affect communities of color and compound underlying health and economic disparities due to underlying health conditions, less health coverage and health care access, and socioeconomic factors.
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...unities-harder
Old 04-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #4

Well I guess I'll just have to say I don't want to get it even if my risk of death is quite low. For many, living means 2-3 weeks of a brutal illness, including a brief hospital stay (or a period where they think they need to be in hospital). I've read enough first-person accounts of what it's like.

And your data (source?) is incomplete. There are at least 2 reports I've read of infants under 1 year old.

And how many people have some cardio vascular issue that they don't even know about? That hasn't manifested yet but would if they got Covid?

I guess we're all seeing the same data, and any one paying attention knows it's worse if you're old and unhealthy, less if you're not.

So what? It is the responsibility of the low-risk pool to take precautions to help reduce the risks for the high-risk pool. We are all in this together, imo.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
So what? It is the responsibility of the low-risk pool to take precautions to help reduce the risks for the high-risk pool. We are all in this together, imo.
Maybe? Last year (Feb 2019) I canceled my snowmobile trip to the in-laws (age 79 with compromised immune system) becasue I caught a bad cold a few days prior. I had no issue doing that.

But, maybe those who are at higher risk should stay at home so the rest of us can get on with our lives??

Don't know for sure but I suspect that when I become elderly maybe it will be my responsibility to wear a mask, not go into packed venues, etc...

I just don't know at this point.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 04-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

FWIW.

And my central point was it seems media is highlighting younger deaths disproportionately, and ignoring the role of underlying health issues. Does anyone have a comment on that?

Quote:
Well I guess I'll just have to say I don't want to get it even if my risk of death is quite low. For many, living means 2-3 weeks of a brutal illness, including a brief hospital stay (or a period where they think they need to be in hospital). I've read enough first-person accounts of what it's like.

And your data (source?) is incomplete. There are at least 2 reports I've read of infants under 1 year old. I noted it was CDC data, through Apr 10, just added a link.

And how many people have some cardio vascular issue that they don't even know about? That hasn't manifested yet but would if they got Covid? The data includes those people by age, the incidence is relatively low.

I guess we're all seeing the same data, and any one paying attention knows it's worse if you're old and unhealthy, less if you're not. How do you know it’s not primarily underlying health issues, and not age alone? We know underlying health issues correlate with age.

So what? It is the responsibility of the low-risk pool to take precautions to help reduce the risks for the high-risk pool. We are all in this together, imo. You didn’t make it to my last paragraph? ”The young should stay at home until we sort out testing to avoid infecting others and overloading health care resources. But that doesn’t mean they’re at risk themselves. I wish the media would quit highlighting younger deaths, without noting they’re exceptions.”

Old 04-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

As we inevitably start to roll back the lock-down we will all have to decide for ourselves how much precaution to take. I read everything I can and am reassured (to a degree) that at 71 with no underlying problems I can do a decent job of protecting myself for the short term with good hand hygiene and social distancing. I will need better information to decide when I can relax interactions with my kids and close friends. It is important that we get reliable scientific information on relative risk. Articles like the one ReWahoo posted from the Washington Post are helpful. Better would be a regular online update on best available information from the CDC. I don't want to rely on Facebook, or even the more reputable ERdotOrg, for this information.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
But, maybe those who are at higher risk should stay at home so the rest of us can get on with our lives??

Don't know for sure but I suspect that when I become elderly maybe it will be my responsibility to wear a mask, not go into packed venues....
I am 77 with COPD. Have been in self-isolation for 4 weeks, ordering in meals and groceries. So far so good!

I just don't know how long this will go on?!
Old 04-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #9

As mentioned above, the "most at risk" age demographic is also a smaller proportion of the population....

I am a believer that the media as well as large swaths of the government are hyping the overall risk for their many and varied special interests. I am not denying we have a serious health issue, but suspect C-19 response will serve as a catalyst for many future health scares, legitimate or otherwise.

https://www.populationpyramid.net/un...-america/2019/
Old 04-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Shouldn’t that first chart be normalized for the overall population by age group The 55-64 cohort is much larger than all the older age groups, 85+ is relatively small to begin with. It would be a substantially different chart normalized, and more meaningful IMO.

What does "get on with our lives" mean?
Old 04-12-2020, 07:56 AM   #11

What does "get on with our lives" mean?

Quote:
Maybe? Last year (Feb 2019) I canceled my snowmobile trip to the in-laws (age 79 with compromised immune system) becasue I caught a bad cold a few days prior. I had no issue doing that.

Don't know for sure but I suspect that when I become elderly maybe it will be my responsibility to wear a mask, not go into packed venues, etc...

Dr. Daniele Macchini, a physician from the hard-hit city of Bergamo, had this to say (translation by Silvia Stringhini):

“So be patient, you can’t go to the theatre, museums or the gym,” Macchini wrote. “Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate.”

Who would you exterminate so you could get on with your life?

The following is a video created by a former patient of mine. It is not complete and will be submitted to the UN very soon:

https://www.facebook.com/nicholas.do...4942105223045/
Old 04-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

With so many cases suspected to be asymptomatic we all need to be responsible regardless of age. Hence the CDC recommendation for masks in public. As a person with a compromised immune system I don’t know when I will feel safe going out again especially if restrictions are lifted soon. I realize it’s my burden to bear but there are millions of us out there who are not elderly but still at a higher risk.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

+1...The prospect of living with permanent lung damage does not thrill me one bit. And I'm aware of the death of a former co-worker, who was under 40, extremely fit and strong. It was determined that COVID-19 attacked his heart muscle.

This is an unknown baddie; doctors and scientists are still learning about it. Going out and about, seems to me, is the health-care equivalent of "Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do you?"

Quote:

And your data (source?) is incomplete. There are at least 2 reports I've read of infants under 1 year old.

And how many people have some cardio vascular issue that they don't even know about? That hasn't manifested yet but would if they got Covid?

I guess we're all seeing the same data, and any one paying attention knows it's worse if you're old and unhealthy, less if you're not.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
Administrator

You don't need a nefarious conspiracy to explain it. Far too many people in our society are selfish and simply will not work for the common good. They will only take action if something will impact them personally. So you have young spring breakers in Florida saying, essentially, "Screw those old people, they're going to die of something else soon anyway. Don't get in the way of my party."

What we really need right now, for a relatively short time, is the best social isolation we can achieve. At least until we can beat the exponential spread and make sure the hospital system is not overwhelmed. That requires the cooperation of young and healthy people. Reminding them that they too can die from this disease aids in that effort (even if the actual odds are lower). To that end, I do not see any burning need to loudly proclaim that it is unusual for young and healthy people to succumb.

I would also remind those in lower risk groups that should the hospital fill up with COVID-19 patients, when you wreck your motorcycle, you may find that the care you receive is substandard. But that requires people to think things through, and the evidence suggests that most Americans, at least, are as unlikely to think hard as they are to care about the common good.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The whole covid-19 outbreak has etched one thing clearly in my mind.

How very important it is to take the best possible care of ourselves at all times. Eat well, exercise, get good preventative health care, don’t smoke, drink only in moderation, etc. Our lives depend on it.

Covid-19 (and many other life threatening illnesses) are exponentially dangerous to those who have existing medical conditions. Some of these medical conditions could be prevented by taking better care of ourselves.

So it’s up to us to save ourselves. The medical world can only do so much.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

How very important it is to take the best possible care of ourselves at all times. Eat well, exercise, get good preventative health care, don’t smoke, drink only in moderation, etc. Our lives depend on it.

Covid-19 (and many other life threatening illnesses) are exponentially dangerous to those who have existing medical conditions. Some of these medical conditions could be prevented by taking better care of ourselves.

It would be hard to argue with that.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That’s one of my takeaways too. DW and I exercise almost daily, but we’re increasing that habit and adding others - more frequent, thorough hand washing, the use of hand sanitizer (I never used to), keeping distance from strangers, etc. And I’m rethinking theater, movies, concerts, restaurants.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #18

Quote:

Exactly!

I think society will get there eventually once the fear subsides.

BTW In my state, the total March 2020 deaths were much less (ie 30%) than the average of the prior few March(s).
Old 04-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
FWIW.

And my central point was it seems media is highlighting younger deaths disproportionately, and ignoring the role of underlying health issues. Does anyone have a comment on that?
Perhaps the media has a couple of motivations for highlighting younger folks deaths:
  • Pressure from Health and gov't to help with the isolation message.
  • The general view that to die young vs old is such a waste of a life.
Old 04-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

The data reminds me that the Flu is also deadly.
Closed Thread