Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 08:37 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
The bonds could take a bigger haircut than that if passengers end up suing the cruise line. There is no value in the ships either...they are actually negative value because they cost money to harbor.

I wouldn't touch the stock or the bonds.
The ships are worth something. If the bonds at 50 are money good with the ships as scrap, might be worth a fling.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camfused View Post
^^^^ There is a very large number of stupid people out there. I think the cruise industry will do find again in the coming winter season.
Cruise bookings are on the rise for 2021 despite coronavirus
Old 04-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Well, CCL just did a raise at $8 a share, which means they don't have access to cheaper money.

I figure CCL and SDRL are racing each other now to see who can go bankrupt first.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I think a lot of it is just using the Future Cruise Credit, as they expire at the end of 2021, so it's use it or lose it, actually going is another issue.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yep
Quote:
“That includes people applying their future cruise credits from sailings that were cancelled this year, but still shows a surprising resilience in desire to book a cruise,” UBS equity analysts wrote in a March 31 report on cruise lines.

The analysis doesn’t show how much of the reported increase is actually people just optimistically re-booking their canceled cruise for next year.
BUT, I was booked on a cruise that was going to sail on March 14. CCL ended up giving a choice of cash or cruise credit+$600. I took the cash. People in my situation weren't really faced with a use it or lose it situation.

I took the cash partially because I was concerned about CCL going under (the company, not the ships).
Old 04-03-2020, 03:42 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Many US companies make their product overseas and sell it here. Car companies, most products at Best Buy, clothing, etc. Yet they can get bailed out?

Heck, I used to document my boat in a different state to avoid biased taxes.

it is a complicated question, let the lawyers figure it out, not the DC relationship with politician.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:16 PM   #87
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Most if not all boats are registered overseas, in the Bahamas, BVI's and Panama to avoid high registration, duty, taxes etc., and are often owned by overseas conglomerates.

I do not think it is prudent for the USA to help them out.

This is a wakeup call to Americans in regard to cruise companies. They pay no taxes!

You will hear the cruise companies talk about the port fees they pay – wrong those are the government charges paid by the passengers and more than likely we are charged more than the posts ever see. The same goes for jobs they say they create – again wrong those are also paid by the passengers.

What about the fancy cruise terminals they operate from? Again, they are paid from revenue received by the port. Ports would actually make a profit if they did not bow to the cruise companies.

Well we must get taxes from the boats – nope they are registered to countries that want nothing to do with these cruise companies.

What about all the employment the cruise lines have on their boats? Again, they recruit from 3rd world countries that will accept the pittance they pay their crew. You the passenger pay the crew in the tips that you are now forced to pay.

The cruise companies are the best deal going. They pay no taxes and operate for free. They must be held accountable now and in the future. Laws must be passed to end the way they are allowed to operate in the future.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

I vote no bail out to cruise lines.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks3456 View Post
This is a wakeup call to Americans in regard to cruise companies. They pay no taxes!
Then the real wake-up call will be when they figure out how many other big corporations pay little to no taxes.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:23 PM   #90
gone traveling

maybe some one knows something the rest of us don't know...

CARNIVAL CORP NOTE CALL MAKE WHOLE - some one just bought $2.7 million today... and several buyers in the $4 mill range...
Cusip 143658BA9 cost basis 94.46 Ask Yield to maturity 15.371% with maturity at 10/15/20 ... pretty easy money with coupon on top of that at 3.95%
Old 04-04-2020, 08:22 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

As long as there is so much as one small business in the USA - without significant Federal help - suffering from the government mandated deep slowdown of our economy, the cruise lines should get zero, zip, nada.

As long as there is one American citizen or legal alien unemployed for no reason other than government fiat, the cruise lines should not get one penny of help.

The big boys and girls who own the cruise lines can take care of themselves.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:40 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
As long as there is so much as one small business in the USA - without significant Federal help - suffering from the government mandated deep slowdown of our economy, the cruise lines should get zero, zip, nada.

As long as there is one American citizen or legal alien unemployed for no reason other than government fiat, the cruise lines should not get one penny of help.

The big boys and girls who own the cruise lines can take care of themselves.
+1

Well said. There's just no reason I'm comfortable with for resources to be shifted from the American lower and middle classes to cruise lines until we have resources to burn and no other idea on what to do with the money.

People who disagree are fortunate in that they are still totally free to mail a contribution from their own accounts to the cruise line of their choice. I'd have no problem with that.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:44 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
+1

Well said. There's just no reason I'm comfortable with for resources to be shifted from the American lower and middle classes to cruise lines until we have resources to burn and no other idea on what to do with the money.

People who disagree are fortunate in that they are still totally free to mail a contribution from their own accounts to the cruise line of their choice. I'd have no problem with that.
In the case of ccl, they just did.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 04-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

I was just talking with my wife as we drove through our town and looked at all of the small businesses that were closed. Some signs were kind of salty (understood) like the small bowling alley that said "Closed until Jay says we can open" (Jay Inslee is our governor).

I don't know how these small businesses will survive, and they are closed to protect us. Bowling alleys, Restaurants, Fitness gyms, Hair Salons. In my opinion they are way ahead of the line from cruise industry.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:58 AM   #95

Quote:
I was just talking with my wife as we drove through our town and looked at all of the small businesses that were closed. Some signs were kind of salty (understood) like the small bowling alley that said "Closed until Jay says we can open" (Jay Inslee is our governor).

I don't know how these small businesses will survive, and they are closed to protect us. Bowling alleys, Restaurants, Fitness gyms, Hair Salons. In my opinion they are way ahead of the line from cruise industry.

I’m naive but won’t they just walk over and unlock the door, turn on the lights, and keep doing what they were doing? If not I guess you might be building a house in a ghost town[emoji3].
Old 04-04-2020, 09:42 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I’m naive but won’t they just walk over and unlock the door, turn on the lights, and keep doing what they were doing? If not I guess you might be building a house in a ghost town[emoji3].
If there was a switch that would turn off the payments they have to make to banks, city/county taxes, utilities, insurance, then it might be easy to turn off the lights for 4 months then turn them back on again.

Does this switch exist?
Old 04-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #97

Quote:
If there was a switch that would turn off the payments they have to make to banks, city/county taxes, utilities, insurance, then it might be easy to turn off the lights for 4 months then turn them back on again.

Does this switch exist?
No
Old 04-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On top of that they also have to convince people to start using their services again. Many people may be happy with some of their current alternate arrangements of working out at home, cooking more, not bowling, etc.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

The purpose of a bailout is usually to preserve an industry that is needed by the U.S. to survive. Preserving shipping to fight a war is obvious. Today though we really don't need cruise liners to move large amounts of troops. We now do that with airliners. It is safer & quicker. Cruise ships do move larger groups but are vulnerable to attack. If an airliner is hit there are less people on board.
So the question is what is the worth of the vacation industry? Nearly all cruise line employees are not American citizens. While there are a lot of supplies that are consumed by the cruising industry most of that is redirected within our economy as we all need those commodities in our everyday lives. It doesn't matter if those supplies are used on ships or in our homes.
It seems wrong to bailout an industry that has actively avoided regulation & taxation & sought to financially benefit a small group at the expense of the American people.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

The cruise industry was excluded in the package 9 days ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...-line-bailout/

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Closed Thread