Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 07:34 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
California is so far flung with so many population centers it would be more helpful to understand what metro areas are seeing a spike in cases rather than state wide numbers.
This is by county, very telling as SF (ie the 6 bay area counties in the steady line at the bottom) was I think the first major area to do SAH orders?

(i do not know about the validity, just struck me when I saw this in my feed on twitter... "woah if true" as the kids say)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2020, 07:40 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattara View Post
Good! Is this for all of FL?
Unfortunately no. County by county choice.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

It isn’t just the young folks running around. I have friends there who are in their 40’s and 50’s - some who are in higher-risk populations - and they are running around like there is no virus too.
Old 06-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
This is by county, very telling as SF (ie the 6 bay area counties in the steady line at the bottom) was I think the first major area to do SAH orders?

(i do not know about the validity, just struck me when I saw this in my feed on twitter... "woah if true" as the kids say)

Wow!!!!
Old 06-25-2020, 08:22 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
California is so far flung with so many population centers it would be more helpful to understand what metro areas are seeing a spike in cases rather than state wide numbers.
It was like a giant game of whack-a-mole, with outbreaks moving from county to county. But, now we have this chart where you can see outbreaks all over the state. Three weeks ago, there were 3 or 4 blue lines and the rest were green. Source: https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal...king-outbreak/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annotation 2020-06-25 191544.jpg (270.6 KB, 168 views)
Old 06-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
It was like a giant game of whack-a-mole, with outbreaks moving from county to county. But, now we have this chart where you can see outbreaks all over the state. Three weeks ago, there were 3 or 4 blue lines and the rest were green. Source: https://www.latimes.com/projects/cal...king-outbreak/
Looks like a lot of places in Cali are going exponential, not just one or two. So much for flattening the curve.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 06-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #27

Anyone who has seen ReWahoo post on Texas knows that it has always been 'scary in Texas'
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The lieutenant governor was on Fox News yesterday explaining Texas' COROVID's situation. He put it in terms that were understandable--comparing it with NY/NJ. Deaths are still very low in Texas which means hospitals are dealing with the virus much better than other states.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The lieutenant governor was on Fox News yesterday explaining Texas' COROVID's situation. He put it in terms that were understandable--comparing it with NY/NJ. Deaths are still very low in Texas which means hospitals are dealing with the virus much better than other states.
"Be calm little muppets, let the poison do it's work.'

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 06-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Deaths are still very low in Texas which means hospitals are dealing with the virus much better than other states.
This won't continue if the exponential growth in new cases and hospitalizations isn't somehow slowed in the next couple of weeks. And with the July 4th holiday coming up the chance of reducing spread is highly unlikely. TGFCGP*

*Thank God For Curbside Grocery Pickup
Old 06-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #31

Quote:
"Be calm little muppets, let the poison do it's work.'
As the grim reaper whispers in your ear.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm surprised that they don't report good news, which is the number of death declining.
At least, the news media should report all numbers.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:57 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopycat View Post
It isn’t just the young folks running around. I have friends there who are in their 40’s and 50’s - some who are in higher-risk populations - and they are running around like there is no virus too.
Ditto that ! People are done with covid, the problem is, covid isn't done with people.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I'm surprised that they don't report good news, which is the number of death declining.
At least, the news media should report all numbers.
Death is a lagging indicator. A covid fatality comes after 4-6-8 weeks of illness. The death numbers are illnesses mostly before June, and many well before May, back when the curve was getting smushed still.

This week's test results are the "fruit" of infections that seeded 2-3-4 weeks ago, so the outcomes won't start showing up until late July. I do think we'll see lower fatality rates vs. April, because the cases are now in the wider population, with lower co-morbidities, and also because we're getting (slightly) better at treating the illness.

But from everything I've read, I don't want to take my changes with getting this, this isn't an A/B outcome illness. There's nothing/mild/moderate/debilitating for months/who-knows-long-term/ etc...
Old 06-26-2020, 08:10 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Ditto that ! People are done with covid, the problem is, covid isn't done with people.
+1

I see it here, folks on vacation are not participating in social distancing or masks. Who knew the virus does not care?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:18 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Death is a lagging indicator. A covid fatality comes after 4-6-8 weeks of illness. The death numbers are illnesses mostly before June, and many well before May, back when the curve was getting smushed still.

This week's test results are the "fruit" of infections that seeded 2-3-4 weeks ago, so the outcomes won't start showing up until late July. I do think we'll see lower fatality rates vs. April, because the cases are now in the wider population, with lower co-morbidities, and also because we're getting (slightly) better at treating the illness.

But from everything I've read, I don't want to take my changes with getting this, this isn't an A/B outcome illness. There's nothing/mild/moderate/debilitating for months/who-knows-long-term/ etc...
Spot on.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I don't live in Texas. I live up North in a state this a rather different from Texas - population 7.2 million, about 1/4 of Texas. But, just for comparison......

The infection rate in my county was about 36 new people per day - ten days ago. As of yesterday it is about 96 new people a day.

State wide about a month ago our Rt was 0.93. Yesterday it was 1.09. My 7 day average was 301 new cases a day 10 days ago. Today it is 512 new cases.

We have had a slow, phased opening. And, a large number of people exercising their 1st Amendment rights.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:26 AM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

My friend who works in the infrastructure (for travel) industry said on his trip to Florida 1-2 weeks ago they were way more lax than Texas (almost no masks, multiple uber drivers saying he doesn’t need to wear one, etc)

Texas is pretty bad, during vulnerable shopping time yesterday saw a lady walking through the store on her phone, mask around her neck.
A 70+ year old neighbors is convinced everyone will get it so why bother delaying the inevitable. ‘You just need to be active and you’ll be fine’. They just had a big group lunch and one of them attendees tested positive later. We cross the street when we see them walking.

In my city there are a lot of people taking all precautions. But there are also many who think it is a hoax and are doing nothing different.
Others (know several) are forced back to work (unemployment ends with the offer) so they end up with kids in daycare and going to the office.

Tell me, if you have kids in daycare and work at the office - are you really going to go the extra mile when you are on your time off?
Old 06-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Heard on the news this morning in Houston that area ICU beds are filled at 100% - not all COVID related but not the percentage desired as the number of cases increase.

I'm grateful that I’m in my early 50s and have zero desire to go out to bars like I did in my 20s and 30s. Perfectly content right now w*rking remotely and watching reruns of Dark Shadows on Amazon Prime.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:35 AM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly. But since new cases in TX are running 5-6,000 per day vs. 1,000 per day back in April, even if the death rate is cut in half the number of fatalities will still be substantial.

https://tabexternal.dshs.texas.gov/t...tal=y&:embed=y
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TX.JPG (78.0 KB, 113 views)