Sign-up for Medicare and SS at same time?

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DW turns 65 in February. The plan is for her to start SS at the same time (she is the low earner, I will wait until FRA or later).

She is all signed up with mySocialSecurity access.

Is it as simple as just signing up for SS on-line, and then she will automatically be enrolled in Medicare? It is OK if SS starts a month or two early.

Anyone done this?

Yes, I did this in just this way for my eff. date for SS + Medicare in Feb of this year (2019).
I applied for both online in Nov 2018 (3 months prior to my desired Feb 2019 eff. date) and it all went easily enough. I was notified by mail after a few weeks that I would have to appear at the local SSA office to show ID. I called to make appointment and asked why the need for visit. I was told that LOTS of the online applications are flagged for further review because of concern that online apps might be fraudulent— something like a random check.
I went in to show my ID, and went ahead with the app completed and filed on the spot.
So, for me, it was both an online app experience as well as an office visit to complete filing.
When DH’s turn came a few months later, he bypassed the online part, and went in for the office appointment.

Is the notice to appear a common request? If so, DW might as well go to the office to apply. I have read of many here signing up for SS or Medicare on line with no problem. Is the issue signing up for both at the same time? Does the create a flag?

I recently signed up for spousal. I did not have to go into an office, nor did I have to mail anything in. They called me about 3 days after I filed online to verify I was only filing for spousal only.

Update:

DW signed up for SS and MC on line. Get a phone call asking about other non-SS retirement plans. Frankly, the lady talking to DW had no idea what she was asking. When the letter came in the mail it simply said some thing like " need to discuss pension that may not be covered by SS".

At two separate times DW worked as a teacher, exempt from SS. She also has enough credits to get SS for other work. For the teaching jobs she took lump sum pay-outs when she left, knowing she would not be there long enough to qualify for a pension.

She is now getting the history from the two districts. What a pain.

Question: Would the lump sum pay outs affect her SS number?

Any other advice?

Back
Top Bottom