What's in your coffee?

MRG

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We've been using heavy cream for a few years now and it is awesome. Then DW'S cholesterol went bat chit crazy(total over 350) and mine is high also.

Dr google suggests that saturated fats should be much lower than both of us are consuming. Three servings of heavy cream are over half of the daily recommended amount! Half and half is like water, other substances have been a disappointment.

So what healthy options do you use in your coffee?

I’ve used half & half for a while but recently switched to light cream. I was surprised to learn how few stores carry it in my area. I don’t think it’s particularly healthy but I always liked the “restaurant taste”.

For sweetener, I use stevia.

That’s my approximation to “coffee regulah” (lived in Boston for a while).

Last edited:
We mix half and half with a low calorie Coffee Mate type creamer. So Half H&H and Half creamer. Creamer is: 0 Chol, 1 Carb and 15 Calories per serving, so mixing heavy cream with it would still be good to help ween yourself off.

Heavy whipping cream.
Saturated fat is a wonderful thing, and very low in carbs.

Yes, I know that's not the accepted position. :cool:

Nothin’!!

Learned to drink in black. Used to hate coffee unless with tons of milk, sugar, and flavored syrup. Then visited a boutique organic coffee roaster for a coffee tasting. Think wine tasting, but with coffee. Was amazed! It changed my life, seriously! Learned to appreciate the subtle flavors of excellent coffee.

Now I buy coffee online from an offshore coffee cooperative (roasts and ships stateside) or a small boutique roaster. Grind my own beans, run it pour over (manual drip), although French press or even $20 drip machine is decent with superb, fresh coffee.

I use heavy whipping cream. I have gotten so spoiled by it that, while I can settle for Half&Half, I will go without coffee rather than try to drink it with creamer or, even worse, regular milk.

I also put a tablespoon of MCT oil in my first cup of the day.

I just use whole milk. Europeans do this too.

If you enjoy your coffee as much as it seems, surely there must be other places you can cut back. What’s the rest of your diet look like? Or, do you drink a LOT of coffee? :)

No help here. Been drinking strong black coffee since about 13 YO. Got DW off the cream and sugar about 10 years ago. I drink 3-5 steins (~12 OZ) each morning. DW has a single 10 OZ cup.

Canadian coffee whitener dust in the little tear open packets.

Nah, just kidding - 1/2 & 1/2 for us. Have used goat milk and found it decent - don't know if it is actually any healthier, but it takes a loooong time to spoil.

Me? One measured tablespoon of Coffee Mate French Vanilla Sugar-Free powdered creamer.

A heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder and a little reduced fat milk. It would taste much better with more milk and sugar but it's really not a big deal and I'd rather have it my healthier way.

Nothing. That's the best way to really taste the true flavor of coffee. Otherwise, it's almost like a milkshake.

Last edited:
Heavy whipping cream or sometimes half&half.

Nothing. That's the best way to really take the true flavor of coffee. Otherwise, it's almost like a milkshake.

I have a Scandinavian ethnic heritage in which afternoon coffee was a daily ritual. I remember DGF's practice: Milk in the coffee. Pour coffee into the saucer so it could cool. Tuck a sugar cube into the cheek, and sip coffee from saucer.

DM, however, drank it black, and so do I.

Alternatively, a dash of whisky improves any cup of coffee

It's hard to find "light cream", but it's better than the half-and-half which dominates the dairy section in the grocery store. Heavy cream is more common, and I use it in a lot of other recipes, but it doesn't disperse as readily as light cream.

Skim milk, powdered creamers, soy squeezin's and other nondairy substitutes are acceptable only in a TEOTWAWKI scenario. I can't for the life of me understand their ubiquity at a well-known chain of coffeehouses. You might as well just add a dollop of white paint.

I buy inexpensive whole beans and brew custom flavors by adding spices (cinnamon, cocoa, nutmeg, ginger, etc) before grinding. We use drip-style coffee makers instead of presses or k-cups because they're quick & easy, and we know we'll be consuming multiple pots.

I don't put sugar in coffee unless I'm making an iced coffee which is exclusively a summertime treat. When I have visited Europe, the typical coffee was espresso accompanied by monstrously large sugar packets! Espresso is fine, but those folks must really love sweet.

Whole milk, which I sometimes whip with a matcha whisk to get a little foam for a latte effect. Easier than firing up the espresso machine.

DW got set up by her health coach to use butter (instead of the Almond Milk she was using).

Add 1 TBS to a half filled cup of coffee. Hit it with an immersion blender for a few seconds and then fill up with coffee.

Strong & Black.

Nemo - you mean once you go black..... sorry wrong thread

:LOL: The line actually came from a gay friend of mine decades ago. "I like my coffee like my men...strong & black".

Yes, real butter. Though depending on my mood I do drink Almond milk (Califia as for some reason that brand seems creamier and not sure why). My honey tried oat milk and I have to say I didn't hate it.

I either drink it black or put cinnamon in it. I either add it to the grounds before I run the mr coffee or add directly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom