deep finger tip cut

ripper1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had an accident with a lawnmower that lacerated my middle finger tip. Needed 7 stitches. The wound healed nicely after about a month. But now it has been 2 months and still have a somewhat numb feeling at the tip. Have been told it may take up to a year or more for the feeling to come back. Has anyone ever had such an injury or know of someone who did?

I was cut, with a hacksaw, on my pinkie halfway up when I was 14. It's still numb.

Nerves can heal, but it's a slow process.

I did, almost 50 years ago, and I'll bet on the "or more." It literally took years for the full feeling to come back to the tip of my finger and if I pay close attention I can still tell where the injury was. It has never caused me any problems since it healed.

I cut the tip of my left index finger (good thing I'm right handed) on a model airplane propeller ~30 years ago. It is still partially numb.

I cut a slice almost 360° around my thumb about 40 years ago and it is still partially numb. And the area around my knee surgery incision is still somewhat numb 40 years later.

I had carpal tunnel surgery, and it was almost a year to the day before it was pretty much normal again.......almost 18 months after the op there's still a slight numbness in the thumb and forefinger tips.

When I was 2 years old I was involved in a lawn mower accident. I lost the tip of my middle finger and ring finger had to be sown back on etc.. My ring finer has no numbness and hasn't bothered me in all these year. My middle finger has no issues except the tip is missing. They can get cold quicker in cold weather though.
I would say my situation may have turned out for the better because of it happening at such an early age. I would say all cases could be different on severity of the cut and placement of cut. Just my 2 ¢.

I cut the tip of my left index finger (good thing I'm right handed) on a model airplane propeller ~30 years ago. It is still partially numb.
Same here. I was adjusting the mixture on my son's plane before takeoff. It was a Super Tigre 60 engine at full throttle, and I got in too much of a hurry. Doc said it was like trying to stitch hamburger. :p
I have most of the feeling back, but it took quite a while.

I cut a slice almost 360° around my thumb about 40 years ago and it is still partially numb. And the area around my knee surgery incision is still somewhat numb 40 years later.

+1 on numbness from my ACL knee surgery from 20 years ago.

I was cut, with a hacksaw, on my pinkie halfway up when I was 14. It's still numb.

Nerves can heal, but it's a slow process.

And sometimes they don't heal at all, and often not completely. I still have areas of numbness in my legs from a couple of severe bouts of sciatica from nerve impingements. I have other areas that had been numb, but aren't numb anymore.

A few stitches on my index finger tip. A home meat slicer accident. Still numb after 10 years or so. The ER doc warned me it may be numb forever so I’m OK with it.

Thanks all. Yeah I was told they could operate and try to re attach nerves. Well, that's not happening. I guess I'm lucky I still have my finger.:facepalm:

Several months back, husband of friend was cutting wood on table saw & manged to cut every thing off left hand but the ring & pinkie fingers, including thumb. Would/could have bled to death had she not been there. He's healed enough that he's looking into prosthesis options now.

Several months back, husband of friend was cutting wood on table saw & manged to cut every thing off left hand but the ring & pinkie fingers, including thumb. Would/could have bled to death had she not been there. He's healed enough that he's looking into prosthesis options now.
Sorry to hear that. I'm lucky my injury was not more serious.

I guess I can live with the numbness. Just hoping the tenderness starts to fade. It still hurts when I type or bump it on things.:(

I guess I can live with the numbness. Just hoping the tenderness starts to fade. It still hurts when I type or bump it on things.:(
When I injured my pinky about 1970 it did the same thing. I gave up golf because it hurt if it wasn't perfect. Eventually it calmed down.

Good luck.

How horrible.
When I was in high school in the shops class, a fellow student did that cutting off 1 finger. It made me very cautious when using those machines.

Oh man!! That's awful!!!!

I witnessed a similar event. My grandfather about 67 at the time, cut off the tip of his finger on his table saw. About an inch IIRC. Tip of the finger went flying. He calmly shut the saw off, wrapped his hand in his shirt, and went upstairs and told my grandmother that he nicked his finger.

We piled into the car, drove to the hospital and got it stitched up and whatever else needed to be done.

I was about 15 then and in shock. Not only about the tip of the finger getting cut off, but how calmly my grandparents were. My grandfather explained that he was lucky to live that long without a major accident. Then we went and bought a new saw - gramps said that the old one was “off”.

I wish I was that calm when it happened. Me and wife were quite freaked out and made a bad decision to go to the emergency room instead of the urgent care facility that was the same distance. Long story short it cost me 2000 bucks for an xray and stitches. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom