Gold

GravitySucks

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If you have gold in your portfolio how do you hold it?
ETF? Mining Stocks? Bullion? Coins? A necklace of the teeth of your enemies?
Also, why are you invested in gold?

I hold mostly coins. Krugerrands, Maple Leafs, American Eagles, and a smattering of Mexican coins.

Since I wanted to increase my holdings quicker in other accounts I did add some GLD ETF but I'm not sure I like it.

After listening, over the past 40 plus years, to unrealized pronouncements that "Gold is going to hit $$$$$$$$ within....." I hold zero.

(A couple decades ago, to humor a buddy, I temporarily owned a small stake....which, of course, went in the crapper and has likely never crawled out.)

I have some bullion and collectible coins. It’s a very small percentage of my portfolio, and if I were to cash it out I’d be ahead, but nothing to brag about. Why? I guess if things went really bad it might help me some. But I really don’t worry too much about it.

I have some bullion and collectible coins. It’s a very small percentage of my portfolio, and if I were to cash it out I’d be ahead, but nothing to brag about. Why? I guess if things went really bad it might help me some. But I really don’t worry too much about it.

I recall, mid 1970s, talking to the husband of a woman my first wife worked with - he was, apparently, putting 'all' their money into gold.

Never saw him again, but from time to time, (whenever the topic comes up....as it just did), I fleetingly wonder what happened to him/them.

I have a few grams as a couple crowns in my mouth, but I hear every year how gold is going to make me secure, rich, and smarter than everyone else. I don't believe any of it.

I accumulated about a used car's worth of gold (mixture of coins and ETF) over the years before the financial crisis of '08. I then held it while it went up to the value of a new car and back down to the value of a used car. I still have it, for no good reason, but clearly would have done better with almost any stocks or bonds.

I keep thinking about picking up a few coins, then I look at how gold seems to move and be valued in ways that make no sense to me... Still no gold. Maybe a few coins at some point to bury in the backyard.

Happy with the ~$300/troy ounce bullion coins I bought (just after the U.K.'s decision to dump most of their holdings)...pure luck on the timing back then...wouldn't buy at today's prices.

Last edited:
Holding gold depends on if you are viewing it as an investment or an insurance policy.
For me its mostly an insurance policy... a portable store of value with no counter party risk.
And some of it is just for fun. The coins are works of art and a side goal is to have 50 coins minted in the year we were married by our 50th (golden) wedding anniversary.

I'm not a gold fan, I'd be hard pressed to give any explanation for why it is valuable beyond "because people think it is." But, I have about 3% of our portfolio in a gold ETF. I don't think of it as an investment, it's more like speculative insurance.
We own no physical gold. I could make a case for some small denomination gold (or silver) in case of a real mess, but there's a lot of other stuff that would likely be even handier.

I have a few grams as a couple crowns in my mouth, but I hear every year how gold is going to make me secure, rich, and smarter than everyone else. I don't believe any of it.

Good thing, as you might have less teeth now.

Dad used to take us panning for gold in the creek and he also found a small nugget after plowing the garden.

I've got a few gold coins and silver coins, purchased as "insurance" after the 2008 financial crises. Also, a tiny bit in a gold mining ETF (0.2%).

I do have some 1oz gold bullion coins, a few Krugerrand's, Eagles and even a few Buffalos, but prefer collectables.

Here one of the collectables that I'll probably always keep.

Attachments

• 1998  Gold WTC obv.jpg
    1998 Gold WTC obv.jpg
    610.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
How do people purchase their gold coins? Walk into a shop? Online? Dark alley?

I buy/sell from Texas Precious Metals. You can find them online. They’re very reputable.

I hope my question wouldn't be considered off-topic. What is your opinion on cryptocurrency. Does anybody have it?

I'm thinking of putting say 1% of portfolio into gold coins. Keep at home in safe. But would like to pay ~$1200/oz

I traded RING a few times this past year for some nice gains, but I don’t hold it.
I have significant RE that hopefully will be a nice inflation hedge. So far it has been.

Back
Top Bottom