bottom line costs

BoodaGazelle

Recycles dryer sheets
This is for everyone’s amusement. :cool:

My doctor prescribed a CT scan of my neck to try and track down my peripheral nerve issues.

After I scheduled it at my normal hospital-associated imaging lab, they sent me a notice stating that their estimate of my uncovered costs would be over $800. Oh, we have a Florida Blue Silver plan.

I had recently had a heart calcium scan done at a local imaging facility that does not accept insurance, so I asked them for an estimate. They will be doing the same procedure for $175. So no insurance but I think it is worth it....

I’d run it past the Dr. My experience had issues with who reads the imaging results (radiologists)I had opposite opinions from a 2nd opinion, if that makes sense. One MRI image reading said some pretty serious results. When my local hospital/radiologists read, it was completely different. The local radiologists were spot on. None of the issues were accurate with the 2nd opinion.

I appreciate the thought. My doctor had referred me to this imaging center before, so I presume he thinks they are capable. But I will still ask... Thanks for sharing your experience.

When I saw the title of this thread in the Health forum I thought it was going to be another thread about colonoscopies :)

I was told never to use the hospital MRI unless you are already admitted to the hospital. I use the insurance app these days before I ever get any procedure done, it shows me all the approved locations and the cost. The one blood draw I had the price ranged by almost $400, just to stick you with a needle.

Starting in 2021, hospitals are required to post the discounted cash price of 300 services that can be scheduled in advance. Both hospitals and insurance companies are expected to challenge the new requirement.

In the final rule, we finalize the following:
2) requirements for making public a machine-readable file online that includes all standard charges (including gross charges, discounted cash prices, payer-specific negotiated charges, and de-identified minimum and maximum negotiated charges) for all hospital items and services;
3) requirements for making public discounted cash prices, payer-specific negotiated charges, and de-identified minimum and maximum negotiated charges for at least 300 ‘shoppable’ services that are displayed and packaged in a consumer-friendly manner.

Reference: https://www.cms.gov/newsroom/fact-s...ent-system-opps-policy-changes-hospital-price

Back
Top Bottom