Need Another Crown

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just get back from a dental exam. I'm going to need another crown :(.

This time, at an upper back tooth.

Guess that means to pay, time to raid my HSA again :popcorn:.

Just get back from a dental exam. I'm going to need another crown :(.

This time, at an upper back tooth.

Guess that means to pay, time to raid my HSA again :popcorn:.

Sorry to read that. Crowns are frightfully expensive. On the other hand, it could be worse. At least you don't need an implant along with the crown. :) And, looking on the bright side, the crown could last you for decades. Some of mine lasted a quarter century before they started failing. It does kind of blow the 2019 spending to h*ll, though.

Wow, and now I see an ad "Discover Exclusive Dental Coverage for AARP Members". They sure have this targeted ad thing figured out.

I understand I had 2 this year and DW had 4! - Almost $5.5K spent from HSA

Sorry to read that. Crowns are frightfully expensive. On the other hand, it could be worse. At least you don't need an implant along with the crown. :) And, looking on the bright side, the crown could last you for decades. Some of mine lasted a quarter century before they started failing. It does kind of blow the 2019 spending to h*ll, though.

Wow, and now I see an ad "Discover Exclusive Dental Coverage for AARP Members". They sure have this targeted ad thing figured out.

Where I need the crown is the tooth next to my dental implant. Oh well ... gotta do what I have to do.

I was looking at my HSA qualified medical expenses this year. Total will run about $4600 with about $3500 to dental work (I had another crown done in Jan 2019).

Maybe a second opinion and a competing bid is in order. If you have a local university dental school that operates a clinic, that would be an ideal place for a consultation.

I have 11 crowns. Had very straight/white teeth growing up. I now believe our dental insurance from mega corp is why I have 11 crowns. A dentist takes a look at the insurance and says "you need a crown." Not anymore. My dentist now says "ehhh, let's wait and see."

About 3-4 yrs ago, I opted out of Kaiser dental. Saw a dental practice offering exam and free cleaning for 49.00.
First time on older dentist examined me said everything was fine, might get a couple of fillings replaced for cosmetic reasons. Had my teeth cleaned
Three months later, back for another cleaning. The dental hygienist said I have cracks in my teeth and had the dentist look
New dentist, young guy said I need two crowns but they make them in-house and would next week be convenient?

I’ve never had a crown. I was a little suspicious, so I called my local dental school, altogether it took about 4 months to get in.
Dental students, plus their instructor did not see any need for a crown or any other dental work.

I returned to Kaiser after that. They are more expensive but I trust them. Dentist examined me and said I do not need any crowns and three yrs later, still no crown.
Lots of dental clinics are less than honest.

When I was in high school a back tooth had a large cavity and a small piece broke off. The dentist filled the cavity [no root canal] and put a cheap "temporary" all stainless steel crown over the weakened tooth. He said it might last 5 years. But it lasted over 25 years. Then it came loose and a new dentist gave me a root canal and porcelain crown on that same tooth which is still good 25 years later!

Last edited:
Maybe a second opinion and a competing bid is in order.

+1 on that!

I have two crowns, the first ~25 years ago was $600 and the second maybe 10 years ago was $900. That one was here in WV, not exactly a HCOL area, but even closer to D.C. which is, I'd be suspicious. If I heard estimates of $4,600 I'd be sure to get a second opinion!

I have 11 crowns.
BTW, all of those crowns have held up. One of the crowns is from falling off my bike at age 12. I still have it. Lasted 50 years. This makes me think crowns can save your teeth, possibly roots. And my gums are very healthy. Although I suggested the dentists over the years put crowns on for $$, which may be true, maybe it was for the best.

Our local rate for root canals is $850--cash only accepted--no checks. Husband/wife team.

Then a crown will be required--another $850. I found a dentist that scans your mouth and has a tabletop CNC machine that carves a tooth out of porcelain in 6 minutes. One hour later, $750 and you're walking out the door.

Our local oral surgeons do all the implant work. If they pull a tooth, it's $850. Then $2250 for the implant and $850 later for the abutment. Then your own dentist does a crown for $850. Total cost of implant--$4800. The worst part is that after numbing a patient up, the implant is a 6 minute, simple procedure. And it's a complete rip off at the rates they charge.

OP sorry about needing a new crown. I have had several over the years. My dentist for the 20 yrs said he is on a 5 yr exit plan and wants to leave his patients in great shape. He doesn't like the look of a crown he did 10 yrs ago and is replacing the crown at no out of pocket cost in February.

Not looking forward to finding a new dentist in 5 yrs!

Yeah my dentist suggested I could replace my old silver fillings and get crowns instead to be proactive as eventually these old fillings may fail. I’m waiting until that happens. It’s been over 5 years since he first suggested this and I’ve had no issues.

Our local oral surgeons do all the implant work. If they pull a tooth, it's $850. Then $2250 for the implant and $850 later for the abutment. Then your own dentist does a crown for $850. Total cost of implant--$4800. The worst part is that after numbing a patient up, the implant is a 6 minute, simple procedure. And it's a complete rip off at the rates they charge.

That's about what I pay and I'm glad to pay it. My dentist has seen some pretty poor work by oral surgeons other than the one I use; for one, the implant was installed at a bit of an angle so the abutment wouldn't sit straight. Pulling a tooth can, as in my case, involve a root-canalled tooth that's practically fused to the bone. I noticed that my last implant was not exactly centered between the adjacent teeth when I saw the X-ray. I asked my dentist why. He said that one adjacent tooth was another implant and that if two implants are close together, resorption may occur. So, the oral surgeon put it closer to the natural tooth. These guys are good.:D

If you have Netflix, watch "Botched-up Bodies" to see just how bad low-cost implants can be. One wasn't even lodged in the jawbone. I think I could do one better than that.

That's about what I pay and I'm glad to pay it. My dentist has seen some pretty poor work by oral surgeons other than the one I use; for one, the implant was installed at a bit of an angle so the abutment wouldn't sit straight. Pulling a tooth can, as in my case, involve a root-canalled tooth that's practically fused to the bone. I noticed that my last implant was not exactly centered between the adjacent teeth when I saw the X-ray. I asked my dentist why. He said that one adjacent tooth was another implant and that if two implants are close together, resorption may occur. So, the oral surgeon put it closer to the natural tooth. These guys are good.:D

If you have Netflix, watch "Botched-up Bodies" to see just how bad low-cost implants can be. One wasn't even lodged in the jawbone. I think I could do one better than that.
This is exactly the reason that I switched to having all my work done at the university dental school clinic. Quality control is their top priority; every step is inspected by a professor before the work proceeds. (And no one is trying to sell me anything I don't need.)

Don't believe cost is the best predictor of success, I'm sure some high priced implants have been botched. I had an implant done in Mexico for 1/3 of the cost mentioned above and the quality of the work was excellent. Best to find a dentist that has plenty of experience and good reviews.

.. Best to find a dentist that has plenty of experience and good reviews.
I think reviews are next to useless. Basically, they are comments on whether the reviewer likes the provider or not. Who of us can inspect and determine the quality of the dental work in our mouths? Also, much of the work is under the surface where only the dentist knows what was done.

Same-o with reviews of medical doctors ... basically popularity contests. There is no reason to think that being a nice guy is positively correlated with being an excellent doctor or dentist.

Don't believe cost is the best predictor of success, I'm sure some high priced implants have been botched. I had an implant done in Mexico for 1/3 of the cost mentioned above and the quality of the work was excellent. Best to find a dentist that has plenty of experience and good reviews.

Yes, I know you can get high-quality work outside of the US (and poor work in the US). I'm nowhere near Mexico so I'll stick with my guys until they retire!

Maybe a second opinion and a competing bid is in order. If you have a local university dental school that operates a clinic, that would be an ideal place for a consultation.

No second opinion for me. I really like my dentist. Been going to him since I was a teen. He has a really good beside manner. I've been really satisfied with his dental work (really steady hands :)) and costs are comparable to others. Plus, office within walking distance which is another plus.

For my dentist, seeking a second opinion would be like going to confession at church, telling the priest my sins and after the priest tells me to say three Our Fathers and two Hail Marrys, I say "I need a second opinion" :LOL:.

Back
Top Bottom