Good source for audible books

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have become quite a fan of recorded books. They are especially useful when driving long distances and or doing mundane things that take a lot of time but don't require much concentration.

My public library has recorded books I can check out, but their list is incomplete. Often they are missing members of a book series. One series that looks interesting has four books in it, but the first two are not available from the library.

I looked at Audible books, but for $15 a month they limit the customer to just one audible book.

Can anybody recommend a source for recorded books that is reasonably priced and not very limited?

Maybe check another library system within your state. I live in a small county and our local library has a limited offering of ebooks/audiobooks but the adjacent county (much bigger) allows us to join their library system for free and their offerings are probably ~5X bigger than ours. There's another even bigger library system in the state that allows us to join but they do charge a small fee.

My library's audiobook sites lets us suggest books--every title I've suggested has become available pretty quickly. I also just put myself on the wait list for an old-fashioned cd version of a new title so that is still a option if your car has a cd player in it (our two-year-old car does, our new one doesn't).

Unfortunately, the audio and ebook publishers are really turning the screws on library systems, raising prices, limiting lending, and times it can be lent. There are a lot of different platforms available with different book selections and limitations placed on the library. The larger library systems will usually have the best selections. The borrowing process has gotten worse, not better over the last 10 years.

I have become quite a fan of recorded books. They are especially useful when driving long distances and or doing mundane things that take a lot of time but don't require much concentration.

Can anybody recommend a source for recorded books that is reasonably priced and not very limited?

On this or maybe the Mr Money Moustache forum someone suggested getting an out-of-state membership to Brooklyn Public Library. It's $50 and probably has similar e-resources to what you have now, but it's given me twice the chance to get a book when I know what I want.

I am a member of two library systems in two different states (have a home in each). For audiobooks, I check library 1, then library 2 then, as a last resort, make a purchase on Amazon. We are working our way through three separate series, so there’s usually something we want to hear that is free. About 70% of our audiobook listening has been free. Additionally, there are numerous free podcasts that frequently are a great substitute for audiobooks. I believe podcasts are “the youngs” substitute for older generation’s reading.

I am not sure if you are checking out physical media (books on cd-rom) from your library or if you are using their online catalog through a system like Overdrive to download audio books. If you're not already downloading them, try that method and see if they have some of the "missing" books from the series you're interested in. Once you download a book, then you can either burn it to CDs yourself, or play it from your phone through your car's speakers.

If you've already investigated the online catalog, then as others have mentioned, it's a good idea to try to get more library cards. If you happen to be a California resident, then you can get a free card from any public library system in the state as long as you show up in person to apply. Once you have the card, then you can download audio books and e-books from their collection.

I use Libby. I do have to wait for some popular books, but I got Being Mortal immediately. There's much to choose from and they give you 3 weeks to listen. It's free. Library affiliated, but I think there's a larger selection.

https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby/

Last edited:
I also have been using Libby and I like it. But, not all books are on Libby. Amazon's audio book service at $15 a month for one book a month, seems rather expensive. Granted you get to 'own' the recording, but for most works of fiction, once I have read, heard or watched the story, I am done with it forever. There are a few exceptions such as Star Trek and Shakesphere.

I'm not sure about other states, but in California I think there is some kind of law where regional libraries getting state funds have to make cards available to state residents. When we travel in state, we pick up cards from other library systems, so we have around 10 different regional library systems we can access online.

Another option is some libraries let out of state residents buy their cards and have access to their online services -
https://weightywords.net/best-non-resident-library-cards-for-overdrive-access/
You'd probably find a better deal for audio books with a public library and the money you pay goes to support public libraries for a win-win situation.

Also see if your local library is part of a regional inter-library loan system. I have access to library's from over 50 cities. It takes a couple of days to arrive at my branch, but it does help fill in missing gaps at my local branch.

Back
Top Bottom