United HealthCare Tri-Term Plan (non-ACA)

2lhasas

Recycles dryer sheets
We will likely not qualify for subsidies, and off exchange this plan will be about $400 per month cheaper than the cheapest ACA plan in our county. It doesn't cover pre-existing conditions for the first year, but that's not a concern for us. We would pay a bit out of pocket for preventative care, but less than the premium difference. The main thing I like about the plan is the fact that it's a nationwide plan, so I don't have to worry about a hospital stay while I'm on vacation.

I gather different states have different limitations on this type of plan, but it seems Georgia will allow you to enroll in three years of coverage. Does anyone have any experience this program?

We has a bad experience trying to go with a short term plan this year. We were denied by Golden Rule (United) and National Found. (Cigna)
They denied us for preexisting conditions. Not going into medical details- but suffice it to say one time events that happened 6 years ago are hardly a current risk in my mind.
They also charged our credit card and wouldn’t refund it. Had to dispute with cc company to receive a refund. National Found will not even accept payments from you- they require to draft your checking account or charge 8% more to use a ccard.
Very unprofessional customer service made me glad we didn’t end up using them. Wasted a lot of time with them.

Also be aware that the annual premiums WILL increase each year - dramatically.

We were forced to stick with ACA- expensive but predictable.

Thanks for the feedback. I was doing some searching with BBB etc last night and it appears lots of folks had issues with this plan. One of the biggest complaints was that once you have a claim, they drop you. And them dropping you isn’t a qualified event, which could leave you uninsured until open enrollment.

I also saw lots of complaints about billing issues and complete lack of customer service. It’s a shame because UHC has a fairly good reputation with their group plans. You’d think they’d be concerned about Golden Rule sullying that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom