SubZero - worth it?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are remodeling and looking at refrigerator options. Thinking of getting a fully integrated panel ready fridge. We owned a house in the early 90’s with a SubZero and weren’t that impressed, but all of the appliance stores are telling us SubZero is built to last 20 years. Our LG top of the line fridge failed after less than 2 years. Granted, it cost about a third of a SubZero.

Have you owned or do you own SubZero and if so, would you do it again?

We've had a Subzero side by side fridge/freezer for 15 years. It works really well. The one and only repair was a torn freezer door seal at about the 13 year mark. If and when we ever replace it, we will get another Subzero. My only regret is that we did not get the bigger fridge and a separate freezer unit.

I love Sub-Zero

Yes!

We renovated our house in 1987 and put in a Sub-Zero. 36-inch, bottom freezer.
It was still working perfectly 24 years later when we sold the house.
Repairs were $500 during those 2-1/2 decades.

We moved into a brand new house in 2011. Could not fit Sub-Zero.
Got a 36" Whirlpool. Paid $200 for repairs when it started leaking water 1 day after the warranty expired.

Renovated the kitchen at the 6-year mark.
Now have a 30-inch Sub-Zero which has more useful space than the crappy Whirlpool.
Still very happy 2+ years later.
3968_Vrain_20171019_08%20KitchenSouthClear02.jpg

And, we also added a Sub-Zero 42-bottle wine fridge.

Last edited:
We have a built-in Sub-Zero fridge, which was installed by the prior owner in 1992. We bought the house in 2004. This is a fridge only, no freezer. Starting about 2008, every 3-4 months, it would form a large ice ball on the back wall of the inside compartment about half way up. It also wasn't cooling very well, running very hard to maintain ~42 degrees.

We called an authorized Sub-Zero tech who diagnosed the problem as a small freon leak in the coils, which was common for that model and age. He added some freon, charged us $150, and that solved the problem for 2-3 years. After the third time doing this, we finally agreed to replace the entire coils system with an upgraded part that is less prone to leaks. This repair was $800. It's now like a brand new fridge, even though it's 28 years old. I expect we'll get another 20 years.

We've had no other issues with it except a switch went bad that turns the light on when the door is opened. I changed it myself with a $14 part from Amazon. I vacuum the condenser fins about every 6 months and I clear the drain every year or as needed.

Not sure I would ever buy a Sub-Zero. But this thing is built like a tank. Since it came with the house and since it's built-in, we are more-or-less committed to keeping it running. We have a separate upright freezer and a separate built-in ice maker (under-counter).

We went through 3 refrigerators at our prior house over the 19 years we lived there.

Worth it? Probably.

We've had the Pro 48 fridge/freezer for about 13 years now. Never had a lick of problem. But it was really expensive. DW said we'd make up for the cost later, because I could bury her in it when her time comes. But I suspect I'll still be using it, and I'll have to spring for a casket anyway.

It is really nice, though.

Worth it? Probably.

We've had the Pro 48 fridge/freezer for about 13 years now. Never had a lick of problem. But it was really expensive. DW said we'd make up for the cost later, because I could bury her in it when her time comes. But I suspect I'll still be using it, and I'll have to spring for a casket anyway.

It is really nice, though.

Not to mention she will probably outlive you......

I never had a sub-zero, because I tend to go for the other end of the economic spectrum - - - really cheap refrigerators. My present one is a cheap-o freezer-on-top Kenmore that costs $699. It goes on sale for $599 frequently. I had one just like it for 10 years in my previous home, and it was working fine after 10 years but when I moved I left it for the new owners and bought one just like it for this house. I've had this one for five years with no repairs needed. It's always been noisy but that doesn't bother me and it is normal for this frig to be noisy.

But anyway, I thought I'd post to convey my shock and sympathy that your LG died after just 2 years!!! :eek: That is just awful. I'd be furious. No matter what you buy, I hope it lasts at least 15-20 years.
Our LG top of the line fridge failed after less than 2 years.

2 years is an early failure. I had one die at five and I thought no way. I removed the bottom front panel and found a dessicated mouse with it's head wedged between the squirrel cage wheel and the scroll. Overheated and burned out the compressor.

Can't blame the fridge though, the cat was the problem, always bringing in vermin to play with.

I always thought that if I wanted a big arse fridge like a Sub Zero, I would just buy a commercial unit. If you have the space, they can be bought pretty cheap on the used market...often much cheaper than a high-end consumer brand like Samsung or LG. Our last two fridges have been Samsungs and we have been pretty happy with them.

Built-ins are always going to be more expensive to purchase & service than stand-alone appliances.

As long as you're OK with the above buy what you want.

We are about to build a new home, and we have decided to go Wolf/Subzero for all appliances except the dishwasher. Our research, dealer visit and contractor experiences have all been positive. We are also doing panel-ready to match our adjacent cabinetry.

Yes, Subzero carries premium pricing, but this will hopefully be our final home so we decided to go pro and blow that dough...

We are about to build a new home, and we have decided to go Wolf/Subzero for all appliances except the dishwasher. Our research, dealer visit and contractor experiences have all been positive. We are also doing panel-ready to match our adjacent cabinetry.

Yes, Subzero carries premium pricing, but this will hopefully be our final home so we decided to go pro and blow that dough...

We also have Wolf/Subzero except for the dishwasher, which is a Miele.

We also have Wolf/Subzero except for the dishwasher, which is a Miele.

Gumby, we are on the fence with the dishwasher. Miele and Bosch are the finalists. We currently have a Bosch, and it has been excellent, but we might try the Miele this time around.

Gumby, we are on the fence with the dishwasher. Miele and Bosch are the finalists. We currently have a Bosch, and it has been excellent, but we might try the Miele this time around.

We have a Bosch D/W that is original with the house (2006). It has worked for us with no issues and cleans dishes better than any D/W I have ever had. When it dies, we will be getting another Bosch.

My sister's Subzero lasted about 30 years, and they're now so expensive that it's cost effective to put in a new compressor.

She's since moved and the new house came with a 60" Subzero. The house has furniture quality cabinetry and a pantry as large as most kitchens. I don't understand it because people that have $150-200K kitchens don't cook any longer. They go out to Ruth's Chris and other such places and eat the bar menu's most nights.

My sister's Subzero lasted about 30 years, and they're now so expensive that it's cost effective to put in a new compressor.

She's since moved and the new house came with a 60" Subzero. The house has furniture quality cabinetry and a pantry as large as most kitchens. I don't understand it because people that have $150-200K kitchens don't cook any longer. They go out to Ruth's Chris and other such places and eat the bar menu's most nights.

Not us. We use the heck out of our Subzero fridge and Viking cook top. Our kitchen is really big, and we love being in there with friends and family. We've got propane for the cook top, and we use it often. It's great.

Having said that, in our FL home we have a small galley kitchen with new (2 y.o.) Samsung appliances. It's a good thing we started keto and IF and lost a bunch of weight, because before we couldn't squeeze both our big butts past each other in there. But we still manage to do a lot of cooking. Making chicken soup as we speak.

I guess it depends on how long you intend to stay in the house and what kind of a deal you can get on the unit.

Last edited:
Aren't Sub Zero's highly energy efficient? I've read that they can use less power than a 100 watt light bulb. Of course they don't sell 100 watt light bulbs any longer, but that's another thread. Point is that if it is actually ultra efficient, then electrical savings may come into the equation. I can't imagine, even after 20+ years that one could break even or recover the cost difference from electrical savings, but it may make the purchase more palatable. Inefficient refrigerators use a lot of energy.

There are always deals.

Ours is a rock steady 40 deg. F in the fridge and 0 deg F in the freezer, which is recommended, but you can adjust it.

If you want to kill nematodes in fish, you need to store it at -4 deg F for 72 hours. Most home freezers can’t do this.

Back
Top Bottom