Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   If NE Florida is not Full, it sure will be soon! (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/if-ne-florida-is-not-full-it-sure-will-be-soon-102215.html)

omni550 02-18-2020 10:00 AM

Just read another article the other day about how Florida is becoming a haven for "tax refugees". This has been going on for a while with retirees.

Nothing major in Florida, as far as I know, has changed tax-wise recently. I wonder if the recent (~last 2+ years) IRS tax changes or other states' taxes have changed?

Or are some people finding they can often work from home and thus pick sunny, low/no tax locations where to live?

omni

Dtail 02-18-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omni550 (Post 2372424)
Just read another article the other day about how Florida is becoming a haven for "tax refugees". This has been going on for a while with retirees.

Nothing major in Florida, as far as I know, has changed tax-wise recently. I wonder if the recent (~last 2+ years) IRS tax changes or other states' taxes have changed?

Or are some people finding they can often work from home and thus pick sunny, low/no tax locations where to live?

omni

Bolded by me - this statement I have witnessed with increasing frequency in my complex.
So many times when I meet someone new and ask about the commute, they state they are working from home, or was transferred to Florida and then still working from home.

aja8888 02-18-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omni550 (Post 2372424)

omni

What is this "work" you speak of? And why would you want to do it at home? ??? (or at all?)

Freedom56 02-18-2020 11:15 AM

I don't know about NE Florida, but SE Florida where we live continues to grow. Since we bought our condo in 2011 in Downtown West Palm Beach, six other high rise towers have gone up (mostly rental apartments) with now plans for four more. The downtown core of Fort Lauderdale is also going through it's transformation with more high rise condos popping up. Meanwhile, the construction cranes continue to pop up all over downtown Miami. Miami in my opinion, is becoming one of the nicest cities in North America. The transformation over the past two decades has been nothing short of stunning. The problem Florida faces is that affluent people are buying in the coastal areas leaving the interior areas to decline. You can drive a few miles in-land from the coast and you enter a battle zone. Nestled in those battle zones are gated communities with armed security and barriers to keep out people who don't reside there. The other problem Florida faces is the homeless situation which has become horrific although we have noticed that the police are doing more this year to keep the homeless away from the waterfront and marina in West Palm Beach. But they still come. It is becoming a place of stark contrasts. On one hand, you have three downtown cores (West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, Miami) with modern high rise condos and apartments and a modern upscale transportation system (Brightline/Virgin trains) linking each other. But the homeless can be found sleeping around all this wonderful infrastructure.

Teacher Terry 02-18-2020 11:48 AM

I have been to Tampa and Miami and am not a fan. Too hot even in December.

Offgrid Organic Farmer 02-18-2020 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider (Post 2371871)
... In 10 years time I can see Jacksonville stretching 5 or ten miles into the it's neighboring counties, it is has been going on for the last 5 years. I would consider it a MCOL area, but this is not deterring young families from moving down. We are not all old retirees anymore.

The average age of Florida residents, ranks at around 3rd or 4th as 'oldest' state. With more younger people migrating there, this will keep Florida from ever becoming the retirement capital of the nation.

After I retired we migrated to the oldest state. This year will be our 18th year of retirement, we are still happy with our decision to settle here.

My wife lived in Florida for a year before I met her, she has no desire to return to Florida.

A couple of the boats that I served on were homeported in Kings Bay Georgia, at that time to find the nearest bar we had to drive across the state line into Florida.

I have been on boats that surfaced at Port Canaveral, a few times. There were some great bars in that area.

This California boy is happy to be living out retirement in Maine.

:)

ShokWaveRider 02-18-2020 12:09 PM

We are glad a lot of you old codgers dislike Florida, but make a point of telling us so. Who are YOU trying to convince? We are also glad to see younger folks moving here for the opportunities that are becoming abundant, evening out the age gaps.

As far as living under water, it is very unlikely to happen in our lifetime, in the meantime we will continue to enjoy the sunshine, obvious lack of snow, sleet and those awful bleak winter months. If it does happen in our later lifetime, well that is what good well thought out insurance is for.

Not to mention all that nice scenery that comes to the beach every weekend.

Teacher Terry 02-18-2020 12:13 PM

I think some people need a change of seasons. I wouldn’t want to live in Southern California either.

ShokWaveRider 02-18-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teacher Terry (Post 2372508)
I think some people need a change of seasons. I wouldn’t want to live in Southern California either.

That is why we chose NE Florida, it does offer that to a point, without the nasty cold parts.

Dtail 02-18-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teacher Terry (Post 2372508)

We have 3 seasons.
Warm, Hot and Hotter.;D

aja8888 02-18-2020 06:33 PM

No one ever talks about the bugs in these threads. We have our share in Texas too. ;D

wyecrabber1 02-18-2020 06:34 PM

My wife and I purchased our home outside of St. Augustine last April in World Golf Villages. We purchased the model home and leased it back to the builder for 12 months. We take possession next month. We have family/friends that moved to the Ponte Vedra area 20 years ago. We looked at PV and Nocatee -- PV was a little expensive. Nocatee is beautiful, but traffic is becoming a real problem. There are a number of new communities off of 95 west of St. Augustine -- a lot of growth is coming for reasons the previous poster mentioned. I was surprised that our auto, homeowners insurance was significant less compared to our Baltimore suburb. We got more for our real estate in Florida vs. Maryland.

Heading down to St. Augustine this weekend towing my boat and other toys.

ShokWaveRider 02-18-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyecrabber1 (Post 2372667)
Heading down to St. Augustine this weekend towing my boat and other toys.

The lighthouse has a nice boat ramp. Green Tea has the best Chinese take out in town. ;)

socca 02-18-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyecrabber1 (Post 2372667)
...but traffic is becoming a real problem.

Some Florida license plates sport the slogan ENDLESS SUMMER. I'm still waiting for the Florida DMV to release a plate adorned with ENDLESS TRAFFIC. :popcorn:

Sunset 02-19-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teacher Terry (Post 2372228)
That’s cheap compared to Northern Nevada.

Wow... You are correct, all those CA folks must have bid up the home prices. :facepalm:

NW-Bound 02-19-2020 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bestwifeever (Post 2372037)
You better get working on that list of reasons not to move to NE Florida....

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2372062)
REWahoo has a list for Texas. Maybe you can borrow his and make it fit Fl.;D

Just a short while ago, in a thread about Florida, there was a long list of bizarre transgressive acts by "Florida man" and "Florida woman".

I thought that it would make a good deterrence to keep people from moving there. ;D

ShokWaveRider 02-19-2020 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socca (Post 2372714)
Some Florida license plates sport the slogan ENDLESS SUMMER. I'm still waiting for the Florida DMV to release a plate adorned with ENDLESS TRAFFIC. :popcorn:

Sounds Like SoCAL where we moved from in 2003. Main reason we left SoCAL was traffic! That and there were simply too many people everywhere. The HCOL never bothered us as one gets what one pays for. But the Traffic and sheer volume of people is a different story. What we do miss is the weather.

JoeWras 02-19-2020 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aja8888 (Post 2372665)
No one ever talks about the bugs in these threads. We have our share in Texas too. ;D

Both have poisonous snakes too.

Teacher Terry 02-19-2020 10:04 AM

Sunset, we live in a 1950’s ranch that is 1400 sq ft. It’s worth 330k. It’s a combination of California retirees and that 30 tech companies have moved in.

teejayevans 02-19-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeWras (Post 2371891)
I find that area interesting for another reason: it is in a near hurricane drought area. The geometry of the coastline nearly makes it hurricane proof for a hard direct hit. Yeah, you can get it from the backside, or maybe a glancing blow. But this area doesn't get the true straight on cat 3, 4, 5 hits that the lower penninsula, Gulf coast, SC or NC get

You have just cursed the NE Florida region, now it’s almost guaranteed they are going to get hit this year.