Credit Card canceled for non-use

f35phixer

Full time employment: Posting here.
Well, looks like Shell has cancelled my account, supposedly they sent a letter. I don't remember getting a letter stating basically that because of an AUDIT they would not send new cards, is what customer service said:confused:?? It's my oldest CC Dec 2004, last statement was Aug 2017.... I know i had read that you SHOULD use all your cards once in a while..... Guess that's the reason !!!! Lesson learned......:facepalm:

Credit Karma scores didn't take a hit, so maybe its a WIN, one less card i have to worry about.

I only have two cards now, American Express Marriott and Marriott Visa. That will be all i need, Can you think of any other NEW card i should get? I'm not into the juggling cards to get points/discount etc etc. Don't say an Airline card, I have a VERY SPECIAL perk with United:dance:!!!!! I probably will increase my spending limit to cut back on ratio of spending to limit.

There are just so many cards out there, it's hard to give advice as to what's the best for you. Take a look at "The Points Guy" for a good summation on what's available.

I don't know what sort of rewards come with the cards you have. Are you looking for a card that gives 2% or 1.5% everywhere, or a card that gives 1% everywhere but with 5% quarterly bonuses with sign up?

I got one of those use it or lose it letters about a year ago.

So, I used the card for one purchase, then placed back in storage away from my wallet :D.

OP - If you bank at Bank of America, or have a Merrill Lynch account, then consider getting a Bank of America CC , with the Preferred Rewards benefit, you can get 5% back on lots of things.
Example the CASH CC gives me 5.25 back on whatever category I pick (so I pick online and get 5.25% back from Amazon purchases and other online purchases).

I recall back in 2009-2010 during the recessions banks were cutting back on credit. This included terminating credit cards for nonuse. I had 2 old CCs I hadn't used in years, one of them had never used in the ~20 years I had it. No big deal.

I recall back in 2009-2010 during the recessions banks were cutting back on credit. This included terminating credit cards for nonuse. I had 2 old CCs I hadn't used in years, one of them had never used in the ~20 years I had it. No big deal.

I was an avid card churner a couple of years ago but have pretty much given up unless a really good deal comes around. Over the last couple of years, many of these cards have been cancelled with minimal impact to credit score. And the "hit" that it takes usually recovers in a month or two.

There are just so many cards out there, it's hard to give advice as to what's the best for you. Take a look at "The Points Guy" for a good summation on what's available.
+1. We’re very happy with our Discover (5%/1%) and Costco VISA (4%/3%/2%/1%) cards, our only two CC’s. I’m not at all surprised the OP’s card was cancelled for non use, CC is a business.

Last edited:
My "emergency backup credit card" stays in a drawer and rarely sees the light of day. I charge the monthly gym membership fee to that card and that keeps it "active". And I pay it online since it was issued by the same credit union where the pension is deposited so minimal thinking is required.

My "emergency backup credit card" stays in a drawer and rarely sees the light of day. I charge the monthly gym membership fee to that card and that keeps it "active". And I pay it online since it was issued by the same credit union where the pension is deposited so minimal thinking is required.

My backup card, which used to be my main card until I got a cash-back card 6 years ago, sits in the back of a cabinet and rarely sees the light of day, too. I kept a small, annual charge (~$20) on it so the card stays active. The bank has a branch down the street from where I live so I pay it in person in June. They used to take cash for payment but now I have to waste a check to pay the bill.

I suspect the same thing will be happening to my capital one card shortly.
Signed up in 2018, & received $400.00 because I charged $3000.00 on it in the first 3 months.

Sometime later that year, or 2019 ? They had a huge security breach, & I've never used it since.

I use specific cards for groceries & gasoline (3.00% back) & Visa Rewards Card for everything else (2.00% back on everything)

Since you're not into juggling cards, maybe the Visa would be for you ?

I use my spare card once a year no problems. I like simple so I just use a 2% card for everything.

I got grumpy letters from Target, LL Bean Visa and REI Visa a few months ago. I went to Dollar Tree and charged a buck each on the Visa cards and a similar amount at Target. That should hold them for a while.

we care not about the rewards. too much like work trying to keep up with all the requirements and gotchas. we don't fly and otherwise the rewards are imsignificant.

we've used the same two cards for decades now. one is everyday and does have a cash back reward but if that disappeared tomorrow we'd still use the card (excellent cust. svc). card #2 are for those rare occurrences where #1 is not accepted. we have a 3rd card for use in case our wallet or purse is stolen. i have a pop-up reminder on the PC to use that card at least every 90-days.

I think that was Citi Bank’s decision. I do hope Costco gave them h!@#%k about it.

I realize it was Citi/Visa's decision and not Costco's. However it was annoying as I had booked a Costco trip with it using the Costco Card.

It really has cut into the usefulness of that card for me, as it's far less appealing.

Thanks all, I'll just keep my Marriott rewards cards and keep on traveling!!!

we don't fly and otherwise the rewards are imsignificant.

"We don't fly" says the guy who is standing in front of a cessna and lists "pilot" on his sig line. Yeah I know what your talking about. You don't fly "commercial". Still thought it was funny.

One needs to use a CC at least 2 times a year to keep it active. We have one car just to pay our T-Mobile old farts plan autoPay, that keeps it active.

Back
Top Bottom