French and US researchers say Hydroxycloroquine shortens Covid 19 symptoms, contagiou

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to believe this. I’ve read a couple other articles making some big claims that this medicine is actually preventative along with used in treatment of the infected.

If true, that’s huge news. But I’ve had to search deep to find news. Nothing on mainstream media that I’ve seen about this. So, is this real?

I want to believe this. I’ve read a couple other articles making some big claims that this medicine is actually preventative along with used in treatment of the infected.

If true, that’s huge news. But I’ve had to search deep to find news. Nothing on mainstream media that I’ve seen about this. So, is this real?

I do too but more time will be needed. For example the closest case to us , still one county over, is a 68 YO guy a cancer survivor with a bad heart.

Said he felt mildly sick for two days...quarantined himself because he had flown from Cali. He then read about an outbreak at the resort he stayed at in Palm springs and got the positive test.

The dude should have been a goner and barely noticed he was sick. Point being there doesn't seem to be a normal course for the virus so even blind trials can be deceiving.

I'm watching the Task Force press conference right now, and this is one of the big topics. The DJIA briefly shot up when this was announced.

EDIT: for paragraph below. I'm confused. Not sure Hahn is talking about the malaria drug or remdesivir. Looks like he is speaking remdesivir, which would make more sense to "go slow" since it is still in trial...

The FDA head honcho (Dr. Hahn) then came on and in true FDA fashion, threw a bunch of cold water on it. He's very encouraged, but of course there has to be a strict study, blah, blah, blah. The DJIA started to drop. I get it, but man can't you go off of the France study a bit? At least the FDA opened the gates to allow the study to be fast tracked, since it is an existing drug for a different indication. So, the study starts ASAP. And the FDA gets to keep their grip on regulation.

He also mentioned developing plasma serum kind of treatment from recovered patients. Then mentioned something about 6 months. DJIA dropped some more.

Last edited:
I'm watching the Task Force press conference right now, and this is one of the big topics. The DJIA briefly shot up when this was announced.

EDIT: for paragraph below. I'm confused. Not sure Hahn is talking about the malaria drug or remdesivir. Looks like he is speaking remdesivir, which would make more sense to "go slow" since it is still in trial...

The FDA head honcho (Dr. Hahn) then came on and in true FDA fashion, threw a bunch of cold water on it. He's very encouraged, but of course there has to be a strict study, blah, blah, blah. The DJIA started to drop. I get it, but man can't you go off of the France study a bit? At least the FDA opened the gates to allow the study to be fast tracked, since it is an existing drug for a different indication. So, the study starts ASAP. And the FDA gets to keep their grip on regulation...

Remdesivir was developed for Ebola, but it turned out less effective than some other drugs for that virus. However, the trials for Ebola established its safety profile, side effects, etc...

And now, for people who are already dying, what can be lost in trying it?

If the FDA drags their feet while other countries make progress, this on top of the RNA/DNA testing debacle means some heads need to be rolled. The public will demand it.

I recall watching on youtube a video segment with Dr. Fauci at the podium. I forgot if he was talking about testing, treatments, or vaccine, but at the end he said that things would move faster now with the private sector involved.

Last edited:
Remdesivir and chloroquine have been tested to some extent. My understanding is Remdesivir was originally an HIV drug. It's an anti-retroviral drug (ARV). Another, cheaper HIV drug, which is a combination of two other ARV drugs, is being tested in India. I think I linked to this article in another thread.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/t...to-be-used-for-covid-19-treatment-814534.html

The FDA should be told to approve this for "compassionate use." Other countries have run trials. Study it while it's being used.

Last edited:
BTW, chloroquine, at least as of a few days ago, could be ordered OTC from Canadian pharmacies. I have friends that traveled in the past in areas that had malaria outbreaks and have taken it. They ordered some from a Canadian pharmacy a few days ago.

If you want a deeper dive, search within youtube Medcram Coronavirus episode 35 where it goes deep into some of the research that has been done. The key to hydroxychloriquine is that it opens up pathways for zinc to get into cells to stop the enzyme that supports the replication of the virus RNA.

Now that I'm not working, I found a new interesting topic to explore.

Remdesivir and chloroquine have been tested to some extent. My understanding is Remdesivir was originally an HIV drug. It's an anti-retroviral drug (ARV). Another, cheaper HIV drug, which is a combination of two other ARV drugs, is being tested in India. I think I linked to this article in another thread.

https://www.deccanherald.com/city/t...to-be-used-for-covid-19-treatment-814534.html

The FDA should be told to approve this for "compassionate use." Other countries have run trials. Study it while it's being used.

I've had mandatory doses of chloroquine as a prophylaxis for decades while in the military. Various places in the Pacific, Africa, and Middle East often require this pill to avoid getting Malaria. One side effect, if I recall correctly, was some pretty vivid and strange dreams.

Chloroquine has been on back order in the US for quite some time apparently. Will be interesting to see how quickly production can be ramped up if reports of early studies turn out to be correct.

Is chloroquine similar to quinine? Because I have nearly a gallon of quality tonic water in the fridge.

Wikipedia has this to say about Remdesivir:

Remdesivir (development code GS-5734) is a novel antiviral drug in the class of nucleotide analogs. It was developed by Gilead Sciences and as a treatment for Ebola virus disease and Marburg virus infections...

The other 2 antiviral drugs used for HIV treatment are Lopinavir and Ritonavir.

A recent 199-patient trial in China of the drug Kaletra (Lopinavir+Ritonavir) reported that the drug failed. However, some say the drug must be administered early enough to work.

A global trial is being orchestrated by the WHO to test all the drugs mentioned above, and announced today. It's about time.

... Drugs being tested in the trial include an anti-malaria treatment called Chloroquine, along with an anti-viral drug called Redemsivir, a combination of HIV drugs Lopinavir and Ritonavir, plus a combination of Lopinavir and Ritonavir infused with interferon beta, which is a drug used to treat multiple sclerosis.

See: https://globalnews.ca/news/6703290/coronavirus-drugs/

BTW, chloroquine, at least as of a few days ago, could be ordered OTC from Canadian pharmacies. I have friends that traveled in the past in areas that had malaria outbreaks and have taken it. They ordered some from a Canadian pharmacy a few days ago.

Bummer. I can see Canada from my town. We have purchased meds OTC there before. But the border has just been closed.

If the FDA drags their feet while other countries make progress, this on top of the RNA/DNA testing debacle means some heads need to be rolled. The public will demand it.

Unfortunately, even when a drug is in common usage in Europe, the FDA has in the past blocked approval for years....
(it was so long ago reading about it, that I don't have a citation).

Unfortunately, even when a drug is in common usage in Europe, the FDA has in the past blocked approval for years....
(it was so long ago reading about it, that I don't have a citation).

Dr. Hahn got choked up a bit yesterday about compassionate use, all while making sure everyone knew the FDA was in charge here and will use their regulatory hammer as necessary. Seems like they have a lot of people who enjoy the power.

A research scientist on ABC's good morning america this morning stated that they've started recruiting 1500 people with the virus to start a study on Chloroquine. They're want people at the early stage of the infection before they require hospitalization. They expect the results in 4-6 weeks.

Last edited:
I tried to search for atovaquone-proguanil (the anti-malarial I bought for my now-cancelled trip). Unfortunately, there's no testing going on for this drug, as far as I can tell. I haven't tried to understand if the mechanism of my anti-malarial is similar to chloroquine. I hope I don't have to decide whether to take it without data.

The US "study" on chloroquine seems to be borderline fraudulent. I've read it and it doesn't read like a scientific paper at all. The authors are claiming that they had input from Stanford and the National Academy of Sciences, but those institutions are denying all knowledge. See here.

The French study is at least written up like proper science, but it is a tiny study, the assignment to the treatment and control groups does not meet the standard for a randomized trial (perhaps understandable, but that doesn't fix the problem), the statistics in Table 2 appear to me to have been incorrectly calculated (Table 3 is OK), and as a result the results are very fragile.

Meanwhile, it seems that there is a shortage of [hydroxy]chloroquine in some cities; apparently physicians are writing prescriptions for themselves and their families, presumably based on a quick glance at the research. I hope they also looked at this description of the toxicity of these drugs.

I saw some info about chloroquine being toxic at just 2x the dosage.

A research scientist on ABC's good morning america this morning stated that they've started recruiting 1500 people with the virus to start a study on Chloroquine. They're want people at the early stage of the infection before they require hospitalization. They expect the results in 4-6 weeks.

So that's going to be pretty difficult without a lot of random testing, since I see many reports on the news of people feeling ill , but being denied covid-19 testing.

For sure some of them have a cold, some have a flu, some are worrywarts, but surely some are covid-19, but we won't know until they are sick enough to be in the hospital. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom