Hello from P.S.

P.S.

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all,

I’m P.S. from way back when. Took time off from here to have, raise 2 kids, work, etc. Stopped by every once and awhile, saw peeps come and go.

Most recently I received an email (which I’ll write about in another post) that I needed to broadcast to a larger audience than my family, so here I am again.

Quick summary of last decade plus, I retired from practicing medicine in 2016 with the intent to spend lots of quality family time (kids/husband), and with a planned WR <3% if something catastrophic happened to my working husband. My final memory of work was waving to a group of residents, standing by the elevator, as I whizzed past with my last batch of belongings in a wheelchair.

After 8 mo, my brain was not doing well, I was having frequent dreams of warm fuzzies while doing H+P’s on patients (nobody’s dream IRL), and the most challenging part of my day was how to make the school/errand runs most gas efficient. So I (enthusiastically) went back to w@!k PT and now help cover three hospitals for a mid-sized hospital system 1-3d/wk. For the curious, no... no call.

I will write more later about the leading up to and the first few months of (fake) FIRE, which is actually really interesting neurologically/psychologically.

p.s. Thank you to the mods and admin for helping me get back into my account!

Welcome back. Looks like we may have overlapped some, but I don't recall. (My first year on, I probably didn't post too much.)

Warm Fuzzy dreams of doing H&P's ... OMG! No wonder you went back in. :)

DW has had no such dreams. But, despite being roughly same age as you (she was born in '61), our kids were all flown and out of school before we retired. (And, I was primary "parent" when they were growing up.) Thus, jointly going cold turkey to 1/2+ time travel in 2017 wasn't an issue for either of us.

Definitely some drop off in effective brain power when quitting. Despite being avid readers of intricate books and publications, it isn't the same as practicing medicine or law. Look forward to hearing more about your journey.

Thanks, 2017ish!
Yes, the drop off was the hardest part for me to deal with. It felt like cobwebs were forming inside my skull. I think the brain naturally as it ages, progressively loses that laser sharpness, but in exchange, gains life wisdom. The sweet spot is figuring out where to put FIRE on that continuum.

(umm...just to clarify...i was born the next decade :whistle: )

Youngster!

Yeah, no wonder it was hard for you. Spouse working still, kids at home, and leaving in the heart of the middle years of practice.

Back
Top Bottom