What Does this USPS Tracking Message Mean?

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Your package is on its way to a USPS facility. Sign up to get updates, and we'll send you a delivery date and time when available.

Status
Pre-Shipment
July 29, 2020

Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

Vendor claims item was shipped 2 days ago. The message above has never changed even tho I signed up for updates.

Our last USPS delivery with tracking last week had the same tracking message until late the night before it was delivered. It then showed up in their system as having arrived at a local post office. This isn't the first time this has happened in 2020.

It used to be a rare occurrence for a USPS mailing with tracking to not show up as having been received.

It means that the USPS equipment has not yet scanned the package and the carrier who picked it up didn't do a manual "Acceptance" scan.

What class of service is it? If it's something like Media Mail, then it can sit until space is available. If it's First Class, it should be scanned automatically while en route, so it might mean that the barcode is unreadable for some reason. Maybe the label print is streaky, or the sticker is misplaced and the barcode is folded over the side of the box, or something might have spilled on it.

The impression I got on a recent overseas package was that the original carrier reported that it was on the way to USPS who started their detailed tracking when it arrived at their facility. IIRC, when their detailed tracking started it showed the package arrived at a different facility than the one they earlier said it was in route to.

I think it just means that a label has been created, so a tracking number has been assigned, but they haven’t actually received the item yet.

I think it just means that a label has been created, so a tracking number has been assigned, but they haven’t actually received the item yet.

Yes, I think this is right - I often see this when I purchase something on eBay or some other online sites. The status gets updated after USPS receives and scans the package.

I think that most retailer generate a tracking no. for a package and it is not actually scanned until picked up by usps, but is hard to cancel the order once the product has supposedly been shipped.

Thanks all for your ideas. I suppose it probably has been shipped but that tracking system is a disappointment since it doesn't show the USPS got its hands on it.

I know when I mailed my taxes it showed acceptance at the station and showed intermediate points along the way so I had some confidence.

You don't know for sure that USPS has received it. It could be sitting in the vendor's shipping room. Once it's boxed and down in shipping they may consider it "shipped" even though it hasn't left their facility.

You don't know for sure that USPS has received it. It could be sitting in the vendor's shipping room. Once it's boxed and down in shipping they may consider it "shipped" even though it hasn't left their facility.
Their tracking system is good but it doesn’t start in earnest until they get the package. You are disappointed that USPS can’t tell you how quickly your vendor will get the package to them? Sounds like your disappointment should be targeted at the originator for failing to give you the details from their end.

It's quite common, especially if, like most people, you get your shipping notice and instinctively click on it right away. The emails are triggered when the shipper creates the shipment (ie, prints the label.)

It's frustrating for buyers and sellers, as it's always a let down. I wish these services would do a better job of making it more clear that it's really "Your package is ready to go" vs. "shipped" in the emails that go out.

ETA: And it stays with that message until after the USPS completes their first scan - which can vary widely by local personnel. If I ship something and my carrier doesn't scan it for pick up, it can often go another 10-12 hours before the next scan - or worse, often they miss all the scans on the way out of town and don't get a first scan until the destination hub!

So that "it's shipped" notice that went out at 9am doesn't look like it's really travelling until 11pm or the next day or two - and in that window it's left my hands but a customer is going "hmmm".. so give your shippers a couple of days before you get worried - it's often really moving.

Last edited:
Yes, I think this is right - I often see this when I purchase something on eBay or some other online sites. The status gets updated after USPS receives and scans the package.

+1

The MESSAGE is created when the seller processes the order AND BUYS THE POSTAGE ONLINE.

It can be 24 hours until the USPS receives AND SCANS the package.

I have a small side business and ship USPS. It is exactly like several said, the label has been created and paid for, but USPS has not actually scanned and officially received the package yet. As example, I create the label last night, and then mail the package today.

Yes, but I have seen a couple of fairly prevalent reasons for this.

First, eBay and Amazon score their sellers based on prompt shipment -- based on a tracking number being assigned. I have seen multiple times where a seller gets a tracking number, then waits a couple of days or more before giving the package to the USPS. In the mean time, the eBay or Amazon site will call the item "shipped" when that is not the case.

Second, I think UPS, FedEx, and DHL all operate hybrid schemes where they pick up and handle a package, then hand it off to the USPS for the last mile delivery. From the time they pick it up, it has a USPS tracking number but USPS doesn't actually see it/scan it until the day before delivery. Hence, we addressees have no idea what is going on. Sometimes (at least) the USPS status will show something like "Picked up by shipping partner." That is the clue.

As a longtime voluminous Amazon seller, this is exactly what it means.

First, eBay and Amazon score their sellers based on prompt shipment -- based on a tracking number being assigned. I have seen multiple times where a seller gets a tracking number, then waits a couple of days or more before giving the package to the USPS. In the mean time, the eBay or Amazon site will call the item "shipped" when that is not the case.

I can't speak for eBay, but on Amazon that seller doesn't last long. Amazon is smarter than that, and will ding sellers for late shipments or tracking fouls if they play that game. Do that more than rarely and they get booted. I sell on Amazon, and I don't even dare print shipping late at night the day before.

I can't speak for eBay, but on Amazon that seller doesn't last long. Amazon is smarter than that, and will ding sellers for late shipments or tracking fouls if they play that game. Do that more than rarely and they get booted. I sell on Amazon, and I don't even dare print shipping late at night the day before.
Good news, thanks.

I'm not necessarily against it, but it is interesting to me how both eBay and Amazon have managed to turn their sellers, who pay the bills, into serfs.

It's quite common, especially if, like most people, you get your shipping notice and instinctively click on it right away. The emails are triggered when the shipper creates the shipment (ie, prints the label.)

It's frustrating for buyers and sellers, as it's always a let down. I wish these services would do a better job of making it more clear that it's really "Your package is ready to go" vs. "shipped" in the emails that go out.

ETA: And it stays with that message until after the USPS completes their first scan - which can vary widely by local personnel. If I ship something and my carrier doesn't scan it for pick up, it can often go another 10-12 hours before the next scan - or worse, often they miss all the scans on the way out of town and don't get a first scan until the destination hub!

So that "it's shipped" notice that went out at 9am doesn't look like it's really travelling until 11pm or the next day or two - and in that window it's left my hands but a customer is going "hmmm".. so give your shippers a couple of days before you get worried - it's often really moving.

OP here.......this seems to describe my situation exactly.....vendor "shipped" and then >48 hrs of silence until USPS marks it in a local office close to me and then a flurry of messages over 15 hrs as it goes to another local office and then out for delivery.

Seems to be a case of the "watched pot syndrome" and failure of the USPS on the shipping end (out of state) to track it so that's a bit disappointing.
Good news is that the shipping process actually worked and was better than the tracking so I won't have to worry about a last minute more expensive refill for Rx.

OP here.......this seems to describe my situation exactly.....vendor "shipped" and then >48 hrs of silence until USPS marks it in a local office close to me and then a flurry of messages over 15 hrs as it goes to another local office and then out for delivery.

Our last USPS delivery with tracking last week had the same tracking message until late the night before it was delivered. It then showed up in their system as having arrived at a local post office. This isn't the first time this has happened in 2020.

It used to be a rare occurrence for a USPS mailing with tracking to not show up as having been received.
Don't be surprised if this become a bit more commonplace. As I indicated, we've seen this happen more than once in 2020.

Glad to hear the shipment wasn't lost or delayed in being shipped.

All good info so far, I'll only add one tiny tidbit...

I can hand a package to our local post office staff and watch them scan it in. I'll then go home and see that the status hasn't changed. It's still got the original message the OP saw. It can stay this way for hours at least. Usually until the next day when I check again.

Then, it'll show the exact time the USPS received it, matching the time I saw them scan it. Weird. And probably a bit frustrating for the buyer.

On an unrelated note, I've also seen Amazon sellers wait a long time between printing the label and physically shipping the product. Maybe I should start watching for this and dinging them on the reviews. A couple of times it was clearly a deliberately false claim on their part, designed to mislead me about the delivery date. So far it hasn't happened on any time-critical order, but we should probably all work together to discourage this practice.

Back
Top Bottom