Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Move to Colorado? (https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/move-to-colorado-105202.html)

BigMoneyJim 08-20-2020 08:22 PM

Move to Colorado?

Hi, I retired 10 months ago.

I had intended to sell my house in Irving, TX, and move to an apartment in Kitsap County (West of Seattle) to start the next phase of my life. I wanted a cooler climate, scenery, and plenty of choices of what to go see and do.

But my approach to the pandemic has been to halt those plans and hole up in my TX house until it's all over.

But now I'm considering other possibilities. I still don't feel comfortable moving 2200 miles for various reasons, mainly I absolutely want to avoid air travel during the pandemic, and there's always the "what if"s of family. (I'm single but have family in the DFW area.)

Colorado is getting some serious consideration now. It should be cooler, more scenic, and within a day's drive of DFW.

Colorado Springs is a place to which I wanted to someday move 25-30 years ago for both then-job prospects and scenery. Durango was another brief place of interest, but that was when I was toying with the idea of becoming a ski bum after meeting a raft guide who did odd jobs in the area including ski patrol and archaeological dig helper.

But now that I'm retired, job prospects aren't important. I'm more interested in ensuring I have all or most of the services I'm used to in suburbia, and plenty of medical care access. And of course non-scorching climate, and scenery.

Beyond that, I'm not even sure what I need to look for in a place to live as a retiree. Especially a single mostly-introvert who plans to hide from the pandemic for probably at least another year.

I drove through Colorado Springs in November, and the big thing I remember is that I-25 traffic was crazy. (And that it's still pretty.) But then I don't necessarily care about traffic now as long as I live far enough away from it. I don't need to commute to work 5 days a week anymore.

I suppose I could also consider Denver and really anywhere "along" I-25 next to the mountains. Maybe even Grand Junction. I also drove through there in November, but I had never considered living there before and didn't think of it as a possible future destination at the time. So all I remember is that it was there, on the West side of the mountains.

So I'm not even sure what I want to ask here. I went to reddit, but most of the "Denver vs Colorado Springs" threads were focused on things to do for younger people who want to socialize and meet other young people. (Denver is apparently way better there.)

I guess I want a view, the comfort of suburbia not too far away, and good Internet. And drivable access to restaurants (for after-pandemic) and stores and some various things to do and see (mostly after-pandemic).

So, anybody with any thoughts? On Colorado Springs, Denver, any city along the I-25 corridor, or Durango or Grand Junction?

More specifically where in Colorado Springs might I look? Probably for a corporate-owned apartment complex, but because pandemic maybe a small house, townhome, or even a cabin (all rentals, not ready to buy again for probably a decade or more)?

Thanks!

Edit: For what it's worth, legal pot is not a concern of mine at this time. I always wonder if all my talk of wanting to move to Washington or Colorado makes people think "oh he wants pot". Nah, my career was not drug tolerant, and while I don't plan to go back to work, I'm still early enough in retirement I want the ability to step right back into work if needed. Heck, I hardly even drink. But at some point once I'm really confident in my not needing non-drug-tolerant employment I may see what all the fuss is about. But that's no near-term consideration of where I live.

Edit 2: If there are any healthcare items to know, that might be useful. I'm on COBRA now but will need to get something else in early 2021. As I currently understand it, WA has better options than TX, and at first glance it looks like CO is reasonably friendly with health care plan options, although I haven't dug into the whole scene yet. I do have a couple of chronic conditions and will need regular checkups, labs, and meds.

davebarnes 08-20-2020 08:38 PM

Colorado Springs (I lived there, now live in Denver) is fine.
Just make sure you are comfortable with the political atmosphere.
They hate taxes in the Springs. Even when it means turning off half the street lights.

mh 08-20-2020 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebarnes (Post 2474165)
Colorado Springs (I lived there, now live in Denver) is fine.
Just make sure you are comfortable with the political atmosphere.
They hate taxes in the Springs. Even when it means turning off half the street lights.

You should probably post some more criteria . Personally Durango and grand junction would probably appeal to me more

Retire52 08-20-2020 09:24 PM

BMJ,

I grew up in C/S and wanted to retire there, but DW had other plans. Since she wears the pants in the family, we now live in FL.

If you are considering living in C/S, I like the Broadmoor area, Manitou Springs, or North West area. The Broadmoor is an older, upscale community very close to Cheyenne Mountain. Great views.

Manitou Springs is just west of the Springs--cant really tell where CS ends and MS begins bc they are contiguous-- and is a popular tourist area, for its Natural springs and old town vibe (great little shops and restaurants). Also nestled in the foot of the mountains, so great views with an added bonus of being walkable.

just south of the airforce academy is NW CS, this area is more open and has great views. bit more family friendly, bigger houses and lots but this may not be as important as it was for us with a 6 person household.

If you want to get further away from the city, just north of the AF academy is Monument. it is a small town, but minutes from CS with spectacular views of, you guessed it, the mountains[emoji16]

All of the above are west of I-25. I am big into views as well and if you pick the right house, or apartment, you will have awesome trails you can walk, hike or bike while enjoying the mountain views.

Traffic, i wouldnt worry too much about. i go back to the Springs for a week or so every year and the traffic is nothing compared to DC or Miami. it can be a little rough on I-25 during rush hour, but that's about it.

FreeBear 08-20-2020 09:26 PM

We're moving 2000 miles right now, 4000 miles round trip. Maybe we'll make the drive 4-5 times over a period of a year. Tons of furniture, toys, and just stuff. Think 5 bedrooms worth...

I envy the fact the you can live in just an apartment. Just pick up and go. Seems like you can't go wrong. Maybe start with AirBnb or VRBO to check out neighborhoods, then pick up a lease. If it doesn't w*rk out, you can try someplace new the next time!

Colorado Springs was on my short list for years, for the reasons you mention. DW vetoed it because wanted warm winters. So have warm winters in SE Arizona, but it is now almost as hot as the surface of the sun. But it's a dry heat, it does make a difference.

A few things that helped us. How do you currently spend you time (pre Covid too)? Where do you shop? Socialize? Church? Recreation? Outdoor stuff and good views? We listed all these things and looked for neighborhoods near them on Google Maps/Earth.

Next we looked at various crime maps. We like the one buried in Trulia the best. Not sure about the Springs, but this will knock out many neighborhoods in larger cities!

Finally, we were down to a few neighborhoods. We looked at real estate on Zillow and cruised the local streets on Google Maps street view. We narrowed down to our final neighborhood because the others had crappy streets for biking and walking outside of the little subdivision.

We also know the general area and vibe from snow birding here for several weeks over the last 2 years, but the Google-fu really helped sort things out in terms of the specifics.

Oh, for healthcare, we're on ACA before Medicare. Check out healthcare.gov as if you we're buying a plan in these various areas. ACA is a whole other world if you've grown accustomed to corporate Cadillac, or even Buick, insurance. Limited networks, few true PPO's, mainly HMO, huge deductibles/max out of pocket, income management for ACA subsidies...

strobot 08-21-2020 12:02 AM

You can't go wrong with the Northeast too. We visited Maine last year and I was completely sold on settling somewhere along the coast up there. If you stay within a certain amount of miles of the coast you barely even get any snow. SHOCKING amount of retirees up there.

BigMoneyJim 08-21-2020 12:15 AM

Thanks all!

@mh : What's good/better about Grand Junction? It's the place I know the least about. I drove through it in November, and its general location and city-ness stuck in my head, but I don't even recall how close the mountains are. I just remember it's on the other side of the mountains from everywhere else I'm thinking about. It seems like it might be a good jumping off point for short driving trips West-ish in addition to being near-ish the mountains. If I'm on the East of the mountains or even in Durango, I'm not sure if I'd have anywhere scenic different enough to be compelling to drive to.

@Retire52 thanks so much for the detailed CS-area details! That should give me some good starting points for research.

@Freebear I spent my 'me time' in recent years recuperating from work, so I'm almost blank-slate on "what do I do?" I definitely enjoy travel, scenery, and non-scorching weather, but I was going to do a lot of exploring and self-discovery post-move. With the pandemic I guess I'm now looking for a better place to ride it out. A place I would actually care to go outside and walk around or drive and just hang out in the car. After-pandemic I still have some figuring on how I want to structure (or not) my retired life. I just know I don't want to put anchors down anywhere for at least a decade. I don't think I actually want to go nomadic, but heck I might give it a try eventually.

I feel so sorry for those of you whose spouse requires warmer winters! I've dealt with hot summers and cold winters, and I'll take the cold winters every time, especially now that I don't have to get out and go somewhere 5x/week.

JDARNELL 08-21-2020 03:01 AM

Well I just left the Springs after 23
Years to move to the mtns of Tennessee. People from left states tend to like The front range more right now people on the right are looking at other options. Demand for housing is very strong and prices continue to rise. Don’t underestimate the impact of legalized 420 on the area. It certainly changed things. It’s all relative depending on your views. Just do your homework.

DrRoy 08-21-2020 04:47 AM

I suggest that you spend a month or so in each location to find out from experience which you like better. Consider the year round weather. In the Denver area you might try Boulder.

braumeister 08-21-2020 05:10 AM

I lived in Colo Spgs for a few years back in the 70s, and I loved it. Being a skier, I've been to Colorado probably 200 times since then, all over the state. Unfortunately, I've watched as many places grew so much that I lost interest in living there.
If I had to pick one place I'd consider in the state, it would probably be Fort Collins. But as others have said, you really need to go live there for at least a week to size up a town. Once you've narrowed your choices down to two or three places, spend another week or two there at a different time of year.

The Cosmic Avenger 08-21-2020 06:10 AM

I was looking at Colorado Springs recently, as a really nice listing came up, and I saw it was in a walkable part of town (something I'd like in retirement), and between the local airport and Denver, I figured it would be a decent location for travel (another item high on my list for retirement). But we definitely need to spend time in a few places (PNW, Maine coast, CO, MN) before we buy.

pjm-7 08-21-2020 07:28 AM

I recently left the Denver area for Grand Junction. I like the Loveland-Fort Collins area but they have tried into the ex-burbs , the same with CS. The front range is not what it was in the early 1980's.

GJ does have the the outdoor activities both western CO and into Utah. There are choices with healthcare and retail. I am not the most social creature and moving during a pandemic has had its challenges. I have gotten involved with a few volunteer activities which I enjoy.

The marketwatch.com website has a relocation calculator under the retirement tab. You put in the parameters that are important to you and see if any of the results help with your decision.

Mark1 08-21-2020 07:34 AM

BMJ enclosed is a few Grand Junction comments for your review based on what your post.

Cons
- Elevation is fairly low for CO standards (~4,500 ft), so summers are warm hot. Nothing like Seattle area.
- Not much rain. We have gotten maybe 0.5 to 1 inch of rain since June 1st. Again, nothing like Seattle area.
- Limited employment opportunities if you are planning on going back to work as there are not a lot of industry out here on the western slope.
- Long boring drive to DFW area (maybe 15 hours)
- Not sure about your health care options, although, this is the first place I have ever had to "apply" for a primary care physician.
- Smaller metro area which limits the amount of good restaurants. Nothing like a big metro area in terms of selection.
- Wildfire smoke can be bad in late summers like much of western US. Right now it is horrible with two fires in area (Pine Gulch and Grizzly Canyon).
- Inversions are a problem in Junction in the winter in Dec/Jan maybe a total of 5-20 days a winter on average. Not too many days, but it can get old quick.

Pros.
- No traffic issues of any real concern.
- Still has small town character.
- Lots of mountains in area, so lots of views from valley.
- Winter skiing is about 45 minutes from town, but winters in Junction are relatively mild.
- Hot in summer, but it is a dry heat.
- Have never been bitten by a mosquito in our yard. Sometimes we do have gnats for a few weeks in June, but that is extent of outside insect issues.
- CO Monument is like a National Park without the people and buses. Also lots of public land in area for outdoors activities.
- Non-tourist town.
- Plenty of local medical as Junction is central location for most of western CO. Largest building in town (10 stories) is a hospital.

Based on your reasoning for eliminating Seattle area, I would just wait out COVID and move to WA as original planned. By next year COVID will likely be mostly behind us.

nobody 08-21-2020 07:55 AM

Move to WA, too many people here in Springs already ;D

intent 08-21-2020 09:51 AM

I've lived in or around Co Spgs most of my life. Grew up in Manitou Spgs in the 70s-80s. Also lived in Denver for a few years (too big, busy for our taste), and even in TX (Corpus Christi - too hot and too many bugs) for a few years.

In addition to the areas already mentioned, you might consider checking out the areas "up the Pass." Heading NW out of Manitou Spgs, Hwy 24 goes up Ute Pass and there are several small communities that are at a slightly higher elevation and more rural (but still an easy drive down to the Springs). Cascade, Chipita Park, Green Mountain Falls, and Woodland Park are all areas I would recommend exploring. We live just outside of Woodland Park and find, especially now that commuting to the office isn't a thing, we rarely need to drive down to the Springs, as Woodland is a town of about 8K-10K with plenty of grocery stores to keep us stocked. Ute Pass is sort of a gateway into the mountains for Springs residents, so there are also quite a few restaurants up here - though you would need to take a 30-45 minute drive to the Springs for better variety.

Something to keep in mind that we've noticed some who move from out-of-state miss is that if you're planning to move here full-time you'll likely want to invest in an AWD vehicle. The weather isn't as bad as a lot of Texans fear, but there will be snow days, some of the roads are steep, and we've helped many a stranded 2WD vehicle of people who moved here in the spring/summer not realizing how it can get.

Another location idea might be Canon City. It's a small- to mid-size town west of Pueblo - a little further off I-25. It's warmer and lower elevation than the Springs, but has a nice smaller older town sort of feel, and is also close to the mountains. It's big enough that you can find everything you need there, and is close to Pueblo if you need specialized medical care.

Last but not least, I'll throw Buena Vista and Salida out there as towns to investigate. They're deeper in the mountains / further from big metropolitan areas. But they're both very nice and seem to be growing in popularity with more affluent retirees (who aren't affluent enough to live in Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge).

FreeBear 08-21-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim (Post 2474159)

I guess I want a view, the comfort of suburbia not too far away, and good Internet. And drivable access to restaurants (for after-pandemic) and stores and some various things to do and see (mostly after-pandemic).

We were in a similar situation. We wanted something pretty to look at and visit, but we didn't want to live in the middle of nowhere.

Grand Junction, according to Wiki, has a population of only 50K, whereas Colorado Springs is half a million. Typically, this would mean a huge difference in terms of healthcare and suburban conveniences such as stores and restaurants.

We were looking at las Cruces in NM (pop. 100K) and Sierra Vista, but ended up in Tucson (1 million). These other places were just too small.

Also, keep in mind the Grand Junction is in the middle of nowhere, although it's certainly a pretty drive in. Google is showing a 15 hr drive from GJ to DFW, compared to 11 hrs from Colorado Springs. Neither is exactly easy, but that extra 4 hrs is just a killer at the end of an already long day!

I wouldn't worry too much about interstate traffic if you can find a neighborhood close to where go everyday. Plus, don't forget that you are retired and can avoid the weekend and rush hour traffic.

Since you already have been thinking of CS for decades, this seems like a good place to start. Since you plan to rent, you can just pick up and move, esp. if you don't have too much stuff.

Bamaman 08-21-2020 10:30 AM

A great source of info on moving can be found at City-Data.com

They have people that have made such moves and can provide great info on your question.

karen1972 08-21-2020 11:18 AM

I was actually struck by Grand Junction, went there for a wedding. It was not a place I would have ever considered until I went there. It had a super cute walkable downtown, went hiking, great views and close to Moab. However we couldn't get over the feeling we were 'stuck' in the middle of no where. If the closest major city wasn't 200 miles away we would have considered it, but alas that is not the case and I don't think I could live without the museums and theater, etc that come with being at least near a major city.

COcheesehead 08-21-2020 11:49 AM

We moved to Grand Junction from Denver.
We wanted to stay in Colorado, but in a location with less snow.
We wanted direct jet service to at least hubs, if not destination cities.
We wanted a house lot with a view.
We wanted good medical and hospitals.

We got all that and more.

A bonus has been plenty of good, local restaurants.

A good music scene, at least up until this year. There are touring acts that play the valley in a large amphitheater by the river and there are two smaller venues downtown that get the national acts on their way from Salt Lake to Denver.

There is theatre and museums.

A good local University keeps things vibrant as well.

Outstanding local fruit and produce. The valley produces much of Colorado’s fruit and a good portion of its produce.

Palisade’s wine district is right next store. 31 wineries that have bands, food trucks, special dinner parties and cookouts. A really fun option for entertaining. The wines are actually pretty good too, if you go to the right places.

We are within an hour or two of Moab, Arches, Canyonlands, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Dinosaur National Parks as well as short hops to Ouray, Telluride, Aspen and the Grand Mesa, which is a paradise of 300+ lakes. Colorado National Monument is literally in our backyard.

The city just started a large redevelopment project down by the Colorado River that will include a number of different housing options.

https://www.gjcity.org/business-and-...ment/dos-rios/

We were done with the traffic, bad air and general decline of the front range with crime, riots, homelessness.

We lived in Colorado Springs and Denver. We enjoyed our time when we were there, but they have changed, a lot.

I wish you luck in your search.

Callitaday2022 08-21-2020 04:52 PM

We live in CS and it's nice, but very, very conservative. Lots if military both active and retired. Good medical, most sports and concerts have to go to Denver. USAFA does have some good sports and inexpensive. We want to move to Golden, Longmont, Loveland area in 2 yrs when we retire. We just visited Grand Junction and Western slope and honestly not impressed. Some very beautiful areas, but small and just not our cup of tea. GJ is less expensive, and Denver area very expensive. CS used to be lower cost, but not anymore. Just saw Security/widefield #1 in America as 30% less than CS

timo2 08-21-2020 05:04 PM

Have you looked at the Arvada-Golden Area just west of Denver? The light rail/commuter rail is convenient and provides a nice trip to downtown for sports and dining and shows.

That's where we used to live for 28 years and liked it very much. Then we moved to Fort Collins for a year, then retired to New Mexico.

Koolau 08-21-2020 08:13 PM

I have loved CO every time I have visited. Even though I don't like winter, I'd have to say there are few things more beautiful than snow in the Rockies. One thing I would suggest (only suggest) is to consider that Colorado, like many other states HAS changed (culturally, politically, economically etc. - 'nuff said') in the past few years. Also, I'm just guessing it's WAY different than most of TX, heh, heh. Just be certain you know what you are getting into before you put down roots. We visited our adopted state a dozen times before moving. Even then, the changes came close to making us rethink our move. We've gotten past that now. Now, I just ignore the things I neither like nor can do anything about here in Paradise. YMMV as always.

Oh, and if I DID consider CO, I would look at Estes Park. Close enough to (and far enough away from) Denver. NO idea of the costs. Just thinking as a permanent tourist, if you know what I mean.:)

folivier 08-22-2020 05:41 AM

We recently bought a lot to park our motorhome for the summer in a mountain community between Gunnison and Montrose. Up in the mountains at 9600', it is remote but most of the cabins and other RV lots are retirees and very friendly. An hour to either Gunnison or Montrose and 2 hours to Grand Junction. A nice place to get away from the heat, humidity, and hurricanes here in south Louisiana.
And once things open back up there are lots of beautiful areas we will explore.
Maybe not the OP's desires but we like it.

Aerides 08-22-2020 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retire52 (Post 2474173)
Manitou Springs is just west of the Springs--cant really tell where CS ends and MS begins bc they are contiguous-- and is a popular tourist area, for its Natural springs and old town vibe (great little shops and restaurants). Also nestled in the foot of the mountains, so great views with an added bonus of being walkable.

I was in CS last June, and drove thru MS out to Garden a couple of times. Retail pot isn't legal in CS - only medical, but it is full on retail in MS, and when you drive from one to the other you can tell. The main road in MS had several pot shops and lots of "420 friendly" airbnb signs. So it seems the MS tourism now is very specific.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I could for sure now tell where CS ends and MS begins!

Rocky mtn high 08-22-2020 07:23 AM

Estes Park has now become so crowed that many local people are very unhappy. We get a million visitors a month during high season in a town of 7,500. Hiking trails very crowded. Have to get a reservation to get into the national park. I know several locals who have either left or are thinking about it, including myself. In addition, Colorado politics are changed substantially. As the long term residents here say “ we are becoming mini California “ and that is not a compliment!

Rocky mtn high 08-22-2020 07:33 AM

Estes Park has now become so crowed that many local people are very unhappy. We get a million visitors a month during high season in a town of 7,500. Hiking trails very crowded. Have to get a reservation to get into the national park. I know several locals who have either left or are thinking about it, including myself. In addition, Colorado politics are changed substantially. As the long term residents here say “ we are becoming mini California “ and that is not a compliment!

Ronstar 08-22-2020 07:48 AM

Grand Junction, Colorado Springs and Durango are all nice, but I would prefer to live in Ouray or Pagosa Springs. I like the smaller towns, but if I were OP, I would take a look at Durango before Grand Junction and Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is too big and busy.

braumeister 08-22-2020 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2474761)
Grand Junction, Colorado Springs and Durango are all nice, but I would prefer to live in Ouray or Pagosa Springs. I like the smaller towns, but if I were OP, I would take a look at Durango before Grand Junction and Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs is too big and busy.

For a population somewhere in between, I think Glenwood Springs (pop. 10K) is a nice town.

Ronstar 08-22-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2474772)
For a population somewhere in between, I think Glenwood Springs (pop. 10K) is a nice town.

Indeed. I pulled over for gas there a couple times, toured the downtown. Very nice.

walkinwood 08-22-2020 12:58 PM

Since you're looking for someplace to "hole up" for the pandemic, why not multiple short term rentals? Check out the different areas. It is so easy to do these days

We rented in Denver for a year before buying. In that year, we checked out the various neighborhoods & towns around Denver to determine where we wanted to live.

We love living here in Colorado. Check out the weather though - our summers are short &, of late, very hot & dry. Winters can range from mild to downright frigid, but there are always nice days thrown in. I've bicycled & hiked every month of the year.

braumeister 08-22-2020 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronstar (Post 2474789)
Indeed. I pulled over for gas there a couple times, toured the downtown. Very nice.

I know of one guy who stayed there permanently.

Brat 08-22-2020 01:22 PM

Frankly I think you would love Kitsap County. We lived on Banbridge Island for many years. You have choices, Bainbridge is very 'upscale suburban' with lots of Seattle commuters, Pulsbo is a fun town that tries to be a taste of Norway, Bremerton is a Navy town with lots of Navy families, retirees and health services - housing is cheaper there. There is nothing to compare to a dentist who retired from caring for submariners. I adored my dentist. Peninsula Hearing is fantastic, it is owned by a gal who not only has been hard of hearing since childhood but she is a PHD Audiologist. She matched my husband with aids that met his needs. Oh, and the Kitsap County Library is superb. If you need a book from the Seattle Public Library they can arrange it.

If you live on Bainbridge Island and need emergency care air ambulance to a Seattle hospital is a community service.

I agree with the suggestion that you rent for a year in each community BUT moving costs real $.

Although we don't live there any more I don't expect you will find Covid19 deniers or folks who won't wear a mask in Kitsap County. For one thing they won't be permitted on the ferries.

timo2 08-22-2020 01:24 PM

Quote:

Glenwood Springs is indeed very nice. It would be my choice in Colorado if I ever moved back. My old bones miss the Vapor Caves.

Retire52 08-22-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aerides (Post 2474708)
I was in CS last June, and drove thru MS out to Garden a couple of times. Retail pot isn't legal in CS - only medical, but it is full on retail in MS, and when you drive from one to the other you can tell. The main road in MS had several pot shops and lots of "420 friendly" airbnb signs. So it seems the MS tourism now is very specific.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I could for sure now tell where CS ends and MS begins!

I need to start hanging out more in Manitou where you can climb the Incline and then light one up for a rocky mountain high...did not notice all the pot stores when I went thru there, but I'm rather ignorant about the pot craze as my teenagers keep telling me

kevink 08-22-2020 03:49 PM

Lived in Colorado for much of three decades and still have friends and family there.

It's all trade-offs and I'm not clear on your priorities. The entire Front Range from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs has very heavy traffic these days - and not just on weekdays or in the summer. You couldn't pay me to live in Boulder (where I lived for the better part of two decades) anymore, despite its incredible amenities.

Manitou Springs is indeed a gem of a place and while it is inundated with tourists on summer weekends it's fine on weekdays and the hiking and biking are excellent. More or less the Boulder of Colorado Springs (for good or ill, depending on your preferences or politics).

Cañon City an hour away from the Springs has the mildest climate in the state and incredible biking and hiking. 15,000 population, very conservative, just OK restaurants but a nice pace of life for retirement (for many).

On the Western Slope I recommend looking at Grand Junction and in some of the nearby wine country and also possibly Paonia.

braumeister 08-22-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevink (Post 2475015)
The entire Front Range from Ft. Collins to Colorado Springs has very heavy traffic these days

Even when I lived there in the 70s, people spoke of the developing megalopolis of "Fort Pueblo". That vision continues to evolve.

BigMoneyJim 08-22-2020 04:58 PM

Continued thanks all!

I think I've eliminated Grand Junction & Durango because I now realize it's important to me to be able to get back to DFW within a day of driving. The I-25 corridor South of Denver should meet that requirement in most any weather.

My next move is not my forever move. In fact, I'm thinking of a 6-month lease. I don't think I'm ready to go full nomad. Having to move every month or two doesn't currently appeal to me. But maybe I'll think more on it; I *do* want to keep the ability to move easily once I get out of this house. (Not collect lots of stuff.)

I'm not yet sure how comfortable I am with smaller cities. I was ready to move to Kitsap pre-pandemic (but it's too far now), and the county population is 250k, and it's close to Seattle, so I'll use that as a rough guide for now. Colorado Springs area feels like a comfortable next step being ~half mil and close to Denver, but I'll still look around the general I-25 corridor.

Hermit 08-22-2020 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high (Post 2474741)
.... In addition, Colorado politics are changed substantially. As the long term residents here say “ we are becoming mini California “ and that is not a compliment!

Having heard that comment my entire life, I must say, I have never heard it said so kindly before! :laugh:

Badger 08-23-2020 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high (Post 2474747)

The last time I was in Estes Park was about 30 years ago. The first time was in 1960 while I was spending the summer at Camp San Malo. I thought it was a great place. I remember going to the historic Park Theater a few times. I would walk the sidewalk to buy roasted corn on the cob at a small stand between some buildings and visit an arcade to play skee ball. As much as I would like I won't be going back. I will relive the memories instead. That seems to be the case for many places I have lived and/or visited in the past.

Cheers!

MRG 08-23-2020 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high (Post 2474747)

Two former co-workers bought there. One is full time the other just uses some off season time on their house. I'm glad we didn't, too many people for me.

blueskyk 08-23-2020 07:25 AM

DH was born and raised in Kitsap county and left in his 40s seeking sunshine. He ultimately found the abundant rain and grey skies left him sad. But when the sun shined, he thought it spectacular and felt he needed more of that.

Rocky mtn high 08-23-2020 08:01 AM

Estes Park and RMNP are being loved to death: million visitors in July alone.
Hiking trails have lines like an amusement park.
Local residents drive 30 miles to avoid the one grocery store this time of year.
60% of visitors come from the growth along the front range.
A few local residents actually move out of their home and RENT them out.
RMNP can’t handle the volume and so even though you live a mile from the entrance you must have a reservation during the day.

WyomingLife 08-23-2020 12:13 PM

Whatever you do, don’t move a bit further north to Wyoming.

You wouldn’t like it here.

(And we like it that way; that is an old Wyoming joke)

(Wyoming is what CO was 30 years ago. Plus no income tax; no potheads; no people. If you need malls, traffic, crowds to be happy, please do stay in Colorado, however.)

Koolau 08-23-2020 12:40 PM

Just recalled. My niece and her hubby bought land in CO with the idea they would retire there. They have spent the past 2 years trying to get approvals and building permits with NO success. It's the old "We won't tell you what the rules are - we'll just tell you when you are trying to break one of our 'double-secret-probation' rules." Worse than Hawaii with probably 50 times the potential living area (16 times if you don't account for areas lost to mountains in either state.)

Something to think about. Hawaii doesn't want anyone to move here. Maybe Colorado is similar. YMMV

MRG 08-23-2020 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Winter of 18-19. It's hard to describe what ten feet of snowfall is like but the sign doesn't lie.Attachment 35997

Koolau 08-23-2020 01:11 PM

30+ years ago, I was staying at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park (where the Shining was filmed - saw a screening of said movie at the Stanley!) Though there was some snow on the mountains, the hotel grounds (and town) were devoid of snow. One night, we got a foot of snow. Though I hate winter, the effect was truly magical. I enjoy snow - from afar or maybe out the window. YMMV

BigMoneyJim 08-23-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyomingLife (Post 2475356)

(Wyoming is what CO was 30 years ago. Plus no income tax; no potheads; no people. If you need malls, traffic, crowds to be happy, please do stay in Colorado, however.)

Too late! Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho are on my "maybe someday" radar. But pre-pandemic I was targeting the Seattle area, and now mid-pandemic Colorado seems about as far as I want to go.

I guess I'm used to large population centers, but sooner or later I expect I'll check out less densely populated areas.

However, if I do end up going nomadic–which I'm rather suddenly in the past 24 hours considering–and the rest of family moves to Colorado (a distinct possibility as family is the only thing keeping any of us in DFW in the first place) I may try ranging out within a day's drive from CO.

Rocky mtn high 08-23-2020 06:03 PM

I actually do know some people who moved from Estes Park to Wyoming just for the reasons we have mentioned. No doubt as Colorado becomes California, Wyoming will become Colorado.

timo2 08-23-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky mtn high (Post 2475491)
I actually do know some people who moved from Estes Park to Wyoming just for the reasons we have mentioned. No doubt as Colorado becomes California, Wyoming will become Colorado.

I have plenty of Wyoming anecdotes:

My favorite town in Wyoming is Sheridan. It has character, is somewhat remote, but big enough to have adequate services.

Many people do not realize how windy Wyoming is. It's got to be the windiest State in the west. If you don't ever go outside, fine. I worked outside and have lived in every inter-mountain state for my proof.

Also, when I lived in Fort Collins, a reasonable portion of their commercial income was people driving down from Wyoming, as there was not much shopping in Laramie or Cheyenne.

COcheesehead 08-23-2020 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyomingLife (Post 2475356)

Few live in Wyoming for a reason. I drove to Buffalo for a wedding one summer. I think we saw a tree. Possibly. :laugh:

Hermit 08-23-2020 09:00 PM

I had a friend that lived in Warland Wyoming one year. Said something about it being a bit cool and somewhat breezy there. ;)

WyomingLife 08-24-2020 07:09 AM

"10 REASONS WHY I LOVE THE WYOMING WIND:

"It reminds me I still have hair.

"I don't have to carry a comb, I always have an excuse.

"It blows the grasshoppers into Colorado.

"Eagles stand still trying to fly against it.

"That's why we don't have clouds: they hate the wind.

"It irritates tourists.

"It dries out snow puddles.

"Our cats won't go outside in it.

"I can feed horses in the North pasture and in 2 hours, they have hay in the South pasture too.

"My Granddaughter can fly a kite without running."

Source: 10 Things To Love About Wyoming Wind | https://kgab.com/10-things-to-love-a...edium=referral

38Chevy454 08-24-2020 08:15 AM

Just adding to the CO and specifically Grand Junction discussion. I was pretty serious looking into moving there as retirement spot. I was in Albuquerque NM area, and wanted to get out of there for retirement. I liked the GJ area, especially the suburbs below the CO National Monument. I prefer a little land and away from typical dense populated suburbs and their packed in houses. GJ being kind of isolated did not bother me, I like road tripping. Have a big motorhome I take on trips all over. GJ has everything a big enough city needs for medical and shopping. GJ metro area is bigger than just the formal GJ city population. I am not a big arts/concerts fan, so that isn't on my list of requirements. Having ability to be outside and the beautiful scenery around is important for me, GJ has that. Also appreciated the agriculture and winery areas. I grew up in CA, and prefer the drier SW type climate vs humidity. While a couple weeks long stays are nothing like actually living there, I am pretty sure I could have lived there just fine. But in the end, moving to be near family was a bigger factor. Weather here in Cincinnati is definitely worse than GJ. I will agree that western slope CO is more conservative, which is better to me than the eastern slope. CO is definitely changing politically (trying to be nice here) and the western slope has too few population to overcome the dominant state politics. Kind of like the conservative CA central valley has no chance in overall state politics.

CO Springs is a nice area as many have suggested. It was also a consideration I looked into. I liked GJ better than COS for my preferences.

Another area I was considering was Prescott AZ. I still like that area from my visiting there, but I am not moving from current location now. A good friend in CA is considering Prescott to move to. Be interesting to see where he ends up.

gerntz 08-24-2020 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 (Post 2475636)
But in the end, moving to be near family was a bigger factor. Weather here in Cincinnati is definitely worse than GJ

You don't say - as I look out from our back porch to the tops of Cincy DT buildings. ;D Not the best, not the worst, but as you mention, other factors more important.

Other thing is I've been to CO a lot between ski trips & other vacations. Great place. I'd pick mountain living over anything. At least there are hills here. Beaches are nice but become a bore to me.

timo2 08-24-2020 01:59 PM

This thread of the size and extent of potential retirement geographic areas reminded me of this map. I think that this gives an insight into where a less crowded non-urban retirement spot would go for shopping and activities.

From the site: "By ignoring borders and looking purely at commuter data, geographer Garrett Nelson and urban analyst Alasdair Rae looked to map the relationship between population centers in their paper, An Economic Geography of the United States: From Commutes to Mega-regions.
The study used network partitioning software to link together 4 million commutes between census tracts. This gives us a very granular look at the “gravitational pull” of America’s population centers, and helps us better understand the economic links that bind a region together."

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/map...s-megaregions/

braumeister 08-24-2020 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by timo2 (Post 2475771)
This thread of the size and extent of potential retirement geographic areas reminded me of this map.

It reminded me of this map. A famous look at how native New Yorkers see the world.
"The view from 9th Avenue"

street 08-24-2020 02:27 PM

Colorado has the hottest real estate market in the US right now. It is the highest in numbers with people moving there.

gerntz 08-24-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by street (Post 2475791)
Colorado has the hottest real estate market in the US right now. It is the highest in numbers with people moving there.

It's the highest or near the highest in a number of categories. ;D

Koolau 08-24-2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2475774)
It reminded me of this map. A famous look at how native New Yorkers see the world.
"The view from 9th Avenue"

Heh, heh, probably couldn't print a similar map of the way much of the middle of the country views NYC - this from a guy who loves NYC, so don't shoot the messenger.:coolsmiley:

ivinsfan 08-24-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timo2 (Post 2474950)
Glenwood Springs is indeed very nice. It would be my choice in Colorado if I ever moved back. My old bones miss the Vapor Caves.

Glenwood Springs for sure for me. But you all know I would have to go to UTAH instead...

Jonmart1 08-25-2020 03:53 PM

Another suggestion

[QUOTE=BigMoneyJim;2474159]Hi, I retired 10 months ago.

I had intended to sell my house in Irving, TX, and move to an apartment in Kitsap County (West of Seattle) to start the next phase of my life. I wanted a cooler climate, scenery, and plenty of choices of what to go see and do.

But my approach to the pandemic has been to halt those plans and hole up in my TX house until it's all over.

But now I'm considering other possibilities. I still don't feel comfortable moving 2200 miles for various reasons, mainly I absolutely want to avoid air travel during the pandemic, and there's always the "what if"s of family. (I'm single but have family in the DFW area.)

Hi BigMoneyJim,

I live in Longmont, CO so just north of Denver and am familiar with the area. Colorado Springs is beautiful and quite attractive. We own some land further down and hope to retire there one of these days.

I have another suggestion though. Have you considered Cheyenne, Wyoming? That is not much further up the I-25 corridor and is still part of the Front Range. The nice thing about Wyoming is that the tax burden will definitely be less, houses are still a bit cheaper than Colorado and one bonus is that there is a new air service out of Cheyenne to DFW! I think it is twice a day now in something heavy like a Boeing 737 so not a puddle jumper and can fly in inclement weather. The only thing I don't like about Wyoming is that the wind never stops! LOL. Good luck in your search. Best regards, Jon

imnontrad 08-25-2020 04:04 PM

I have lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years. It is a booming city and houses sell fast. Amazon is building a huge facility here so house prices should go up even more. I live on the east side far away from I-25 crazy traffic. But I still think it is more than a reasonable day's drive for DFW. I am about 20 minutes drive from the CS airport and it sure beats the hassle of Denver. If you ski, it is about 3 hours one way to any ski place.
Property tax is great and so are utilities. However, insurance for the home and car are higher due to hailstorms. Car registration is crazy expensive too.
Yes, Security-Widefield was recently in the news. But I believe some of the area had trouble in the past few years due to water contamination from Peterson AFB.
There are lots of military installations and DoD affiliated companies. But retirees who get their medical care on base are getting "kicked out' when they start Medicare - and some doctors practices in the area do not take new Medicare/Tricare patients. There are a lot of activities and more park space per capita than anywhere in the US. The city is also sprawling. So if you move here, ensure you get a home near the activities you want. Driving from one side of town to another can be a pain - and the bus system is a joke.

For me, the biggest negative about the area is the super-conservative evangelical population in many areas of town. And if you are not in that demographic, it can be difficult to find friends (although a lot of Meetup groups and an active over 50 group called "Pikes Peak Over The Hill Gang"). There is a Senior Center in the town but even before COVID, I did not find a lot there for me.

I just returned from a vacation and spent a few hours in Fort Collins - and loved it. I am going to wait and, depending on the national elections and how CS/CO votes, I may move to Fort Collins, travel for a year or more, or choose to be an expat.

socca 08-25-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnontrad (Post 2476357)
I have lived in Colorado Springs for 5 years. It is a booming city and houses sell fast. I live on the east side far away from I-25 crazy traffic.

I have a couple of relatives who are long-time residents of CS. They don't complain about the traffic or political/religious climate. They both enjoy hiking in the Rockies. :greetings10:

outdoorgirl02 08-25-2020 05:44 PM

Also near CS, check out Castle Rock and the Sedalia area. Both are between CS and Denver.

Jonmart1 08-25-2020 06:23 PM

Sperling

A great site to do your research. Check out https://www.bestplaces.net/

RobLJ 08-25-2020 09:26 PM

Our cabin was outside of Canon City, but up past the Gorge so up about 1500 feet higher in elevation so cooler. Loved it. We thought about retiring there, but DW intended on working for 5-7 years (it turned out to be 3, so now we regret selling the cabin which is considerably cooler than Reno in summer). Manitou and up pass are cool. Salida is also a great town (we skiied there from the cabin, since it was about 70 minutes away), but quite a ways from airports etc (I see the poster mentioned it); Colorado Springs was only an hour or 80 minutes from Canon City.

And Granddad used to drive to Paonia (below Grand Junction) for fruit; his cabin was close to Carbondale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intent (Post 2474358)
I've lived in or around Co Spgs most of my life. Grew up in Manitou Spgs in the 70s-80s. Also lived in Denver for a few years (too big, busy for our taste), and even in TX (Corpus Christi - too hot and too many bugs) for a few years.

In addition to the areas already mentioned, you might consider checking out the areas "up the Pass." Heading NW out of Manitou Spgs, Hwy 24 goes up Ute Pass and there are several small communities that are at a slightly higher elevation and more rural (but still an easy drive down to the Springs). Cascade, Chipita Park, Green Mountain Falls, and Woodland Park are all areas I would recommend exploring. We live just outside of Woodland Park and find, especially now that commuting to the office isn't a thing, we rarely need to drive down to the Springs, as Woodland is a town of about 8K-10K with plenty of grocery stores to keep us stocked. Ute Pass is sort of a gateway into the mountains for Springs residents, so there are also quite a few restaurants up here - though you would need to take a 30-45 minute drive to the Springs for better variety.

Something to keep in mind that we've noticed some who move from out-of-state miss is that if you're planning to move here full-time you'll likely want to invest in an AWD vehicle. The weather isn't as bad as a lot of Texans fear, but there will be snow days, some of the roads are steep, and we've helped many a stranded 2WD vehicle of people who moved here in the spring/summer not realizing how it can get.

Another location idea might be Canon City. It's a small- to mid-size town west of Pueblo - a little further off I-25. It's warmer and lower elevation than the Springs, but has a nice smaller older town sort of feel, and is also close to the mountains. It's big enough that you can find everything you need there, and is close to Pueblo if you need specialized medical care.

Last but not least, I'll throw Buena Vista and Salida out there as towns to investigate. They're deeper in the mountains / further from big metropolitan areas. But they're both very nice and seem to be growing in popularity with more affluent retirees (who aren't affluent enough to live in Vail, Aspen, Breckenridge).

clubmanstl 08-25-2020 10:00 PM

An aside: if you're not unhappy in TX (and since you have family there), you may want to check out the "Hill Country" region. My sis and b-i-l relocated from Port Isabel to Kerrville about 5 years ago, and they've been very happy there. There are lots of retirees in the area (they live in a 55+ community), and it's close enough to San Antonio to provide urban amenities, when desired. Good luck and "happy landing"!

braumeister 08-26-2020 04:52 AM

A question for those who live in Colorado Springs:

When I lived there long ago, I had to get my windshield replaced almost every year. It got sandblasted from the winds coming off the front range, and I couldn't pass the annual inspection without a new one.

Many cars today have a very high windshield replacement cost, so that would be a concern. Are the inspection standards still so strict?

Hermit 08-26-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braumeister (Post 2476503)
A question for those who live in Colorado Springs:

When I lived there long ago, I had to get my windshield replaced almost every year. It got sandblasted from the winds coming off the front range, and I couldn't pass the annual inspection without a new one.

Many cars today have a very high windshield replacement cost, so that would be a concern. Are the inspection standards still so strict?

Safety inspections have been gone for many years. Emission inspections do exist along the front range. Sand still pits windows along the front range. :)

COcheesehead 08-26-2020 07:17 AM

I’ve lived in Colorado 26 years. Most of that time along the front range. I’ve had to replace one windshield in that timeframe and that was the result of a rock on the interstate.

Hermit 08-26-2020 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COcheesehead (Post 2476546)
I’ve lived in Colorado 26 years. Most of that time along the front range. I’ve had to replace one windshield in that timeframe and that was the result of a rock on the interstate.

I'm on my 4th or 5th windshield for my 2013 Jeep Wrangler. Wranglers are known for being very bad on windshields. Add to that over 10 miles of dirt roads and my circumstances are different than most. I have insurance on the Jeep that pays for windshields if there is a crack or major chip so I just wait for that to happen before I get the windshield replaced. In the 1970s I had a Ford Econoline van that got the windshield replaced every 2 to 3 years due to sand pitting. No regular dirt roads at that time, but all in Colorado.

PatrickW 08-26-2020 08:48 AM

Friends of ours moved from Fort Worth, TX to Colorado a few months ago. They had "issues" with locals who saw their Texas license plates. Wasn't just a one-off situation.

Somebody else who works at their same company had previously warned them that their Texas plates might draw attention.

Just be careful and use common sense, and maintain awareness of your surroundings. It sounds like the political climate (at least in certain places in Colorado) has deteriorated recently.

May I respectfully suggest checking the area out with your own eyes before making any irreversible decisions....?

intent 08-26-2020 09:45 AM

I'm not sure what issues your friends had, but it surprises me to hear that as a long-time CO resident. The CO Spgs area in particular attracts a lot of tourists from all over, so it would be weird to go a day around here without seeing some TX plates In fact, as a kid we used to play a game during the summers to see how many plates from other states we could spot. And there are no shortage of former Texans who have made CO their home.

COcheesehead 08-26-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit (Post 2476567)
I'm on my 4th or 5th windshield for my 2013 Jeep Wrangler. Wranglers are known for being very bad on windshields. Add to that over 10 miles of dirt roads and my circumstances are different than most. I have insurance on the Jeep that pays for windshields if there is a crack or major chip so I just wait for that to happen before I get the windshield replaced. In the 1970s I had a Ford Econoline van that got the windshield replaced every 2 to 3 years due to sand pitting. No regular dirt roads at that time, but all in Colorado.

I had good luck with my 3 Wranglers and my Jeep Cherokee. No broken windshields. My Acura Integra which sat low, used to take direct hits from rocks off semi’s. That was my only glass casualty.

braumeister 08-26-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intent (Post 2476603)
I'm not sure what issues your friends had, but it surprises me to hear that as a long-time CO resident....no shortage of former Texans who have made CO their home.

When I lived there the only issue was all the Texans who made for longer lift lines at the ski areas. For some reason it seemed as if every other Texan was a skier and they were everywhere. Not a problem, just something we noticed.

MRG 08-26-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure what issues your friends had, but it surprises me to hear that as a long-time CO resident. The CO Spgs area in particular attracts a lot of tourists from all over, so it would be weird to go a day around here without seeing some TX plates In fact, as a kid we used to play a game during the summers to see how many plates from other states we could spot. And there are no shortage of former Texans who have made CO their home.

If locals here treated Texans poorly there wouldn't be much town. During tourist season they outnumber locals.

REWahoo 08-26-2020 11:04 AM

We spend 2-3 weeks in CO every Sept (except this one, of course) and have never felt we were treated poorly.

Hermit 08-26-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRG (Post 2476649)
If locals here treated Texans poorly there wouldn't be much town. During tourist season they outnumber locals.

That is especially true in the southwest quarter of the state. It's not that far from Texas, but much cooler in the summer. Also good skiing in the winter. I don't think the Texas license plates outnumber the Colorado plates, but there are a bunch.

braumeister 08-26-2020 02:20 PM

I'm not too sure about that. Purgatory seemed to be a particularly popular spot for Texas plates from what I remember. And I can remember days when I sat next to a Texan every time I rode a lift.

Well, now I've got the idea lodged in my tiny mind, so time to start thinking about where to go in January.

WyomingLife 08-26-2020 02:25 PM

If your lives revolve around windshields and license plates, please don't come here. Ever.

Stay in Colorado.

MRG 08-26-2020 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermit (Post 2476738)
That is especially true in the southwest quarter of the state. It's not that far from Texas, but much cooler in the summer. Also good skiing in the winter. I don't think the Texas license plates outnumber the Colorado plates, but there are a bunch.

Fourth of July weekend and Presidents day weekend(on a good year). We just stay home.

chassis 08-26-2020 02:43 PM

I like Colorado, a lot. I lived there for 6 months and enjoyed it. Regarding place to live, there is no free lunch. IMO family is the first priority.

Colorado in general is growing, which means infrastructure will be stretched and taxes need to be raised to accommodate increasing population. This applies to the cities of note such as metro Denver, Boulder, Springs, Ft Smith. Many of the newcomers to CO are from California and Washington (Seattle area).

Political climate as noted needs to be considered, whether that will be an objection to you or not.

Away from the cities of note, local economies are seasonal and based on tourism, not a positive IMO. Weather is extreme, mainly as regards snowfall and cold (mountain areas). Road closures are not unusual. That might be, or might not be, an objection to you. Living in Texas, you may be accustomed to severe weather, such as hurricanes.

Eastern Colorado is a dry, near desert, plain. And not particularly pretty, IMO.

To me, Colorado isn't a place to live, but rather a place to visit often. Again, using the family-is-most-important rule. I have no family in CO. If I had 6 generations and two extended families in Colorado, it would make the most sense of any place in the world to live.

timo2 08-26-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatrickW (Post 2476576)
Friends of ours moved from Fort Worth, TX to Colorado a few months ago. They had "issues" with locals who saw their Texas license plates. Wasn't just a one-off situation.

Somebody else who works at their same company had previously warned them that their Texas plates might draw attention.

Just be careful and use common sense, and maintain awareness of your surroundings. It sounds like the political climate (at least in certain places in Colorado) has deteriorated recently.

May I respectfully suggest checking the area out with your own eyes before making any irreversible decisions....?

I wouldn't worry about being from out-of-state in Colorado. Everyone else there is from out-of-state. And Colorado is not any different than other tourist areas in the western mountains of North America. There are always some people resentful of 'outsiders', but they are easy to ignore, and they themselves are probably not natives to the area.

I've lived in both TX and CO and visited back and forth with out-of-state plates. Only once did I ever have an issue, back in 1982 when I was driving in Colorado with Texas plates. Some guy flipped me off, apparently for being a Texan. But when he passed me, he had New York plates!!. So it was not a Colorado person at all causing the trouble.

But when I've had to move anywhere, I've always changed plates quickly, as you never know about people. Local criminals in some areas of the world target vehicles with out-of-state plate and also rental cars.

Regarding locals and tourist interactions: One time I spent quite a while working in Yukon, Canada, and local people I knew were sitting in their front yard (away from the tourist zone) drinking beer. A tourist came by and started taking their photo, so the locals dropped their pants and mooned them! So pick your tourist area, and there will be stories of visitors being treated differently.

hanginthere 08-26-2020 05:14 PM

Im getting vibes that you really want the conveniences of the big city but just not the climate, or the concrete jungle views, or the traffic. But guess what. I lot of other ETs want the same thing and they end of turning it into what they left. Even though your an introvert you seem to want to remain closer to your kin and close friends. Thats good. What will you do if they need help or you do if your 2000M away? I still live in my home town in LA and my worst complaint is the horrendous heat. I'll never learn to like it. I've back packed a lot in ARK and eastern OK is also nice. I'm always amazed at how many weekenders are from DFW. I wished I could have purchased a condo in Hot Springs back in 09 when RE crashed. Could have bought one for a steal. You can still find areas closer in the hottest months. Hell i've even thought about driving to Nova Scotia just from say July through September to escape the worst. Read Hermit's post again and keep this in mind. Close big city+beautiful scenery+pleasant climate+moderate weather= THE LEFT. I have a friend whose company here bought out a big company in Denver that was in financial trouble. They about drove him crazy. Spoiled yuppies(no museums, no bagel shop etc.) He had to entertain one divorced lady who was looking for schools and she complained to his friend, a school principal about the "racial" dynamics in the South. The point is you can take long breaks, even for months, w/o totally pulling up roots.

COcheesehead 08-26-2020 05:38 PM

I like the Texans in Colorado. They seem to respect and appreciate what we have here.

Out-to-Lunch 08-26-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

In fact, as a kid we used to play a game during the summers to see how many plates from other states we could spot. And there are no shortage of former Texans who have made CO their home.

That was in the Before Times! :) He did specify recently. I suspect Texans are viewed with more suspicion now than they were in, say, 2019.

davebarnes 08-26-2020 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hanginthere (Post 2476829)
I have a friend whose company here bought out a big company in Denver that was in financial trouble.

You can write that CenturyLink bought Qwest.

timo2 08-26-2020 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch (Post 2476872)
That was in the Before Times! :) He did specify recently. I suspect Texans are viewed with more suspicion now than they were in, say, 2019.

I have to defend my former domicile here, since I very recently left. And I have lived in both States, and DW is from Texas. I never noticed Colorado views towards Texans changing. It's always been a mix of opinions, with no consistency either way. Plus there are a heck of a lot of former Texans living in Colorado. Like most places, people just want to live their lives in peace and don't really care where people are from. Perhaps Texans are a little more hyper-sensitive these days, rather than Coloradans changing?

Out-to-Lunch 08-26-2020 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timo2 (Post 2476877)
I have to defend my former domicile here, since I very recently left.

Did you leave subsequent to, say, May 2020?

timo2 08-26-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch (Post 2476919)
Did you leave subsequent to, say, May 2020?

No. It's been a couple of years, but I'm close by in NM. By the timing, can I surmise that this has some correlation to coronavirus and the 'off modum subiecti' of m*sk compliance? If so, I can understand that. I do know colorado residents that called the police on tourists in Vail for not wearing the unmentionable facial attire. So that is going on. My BIL from San Antonio is visiting Vail next month with his wife, so I'll have him report back.

Out-to-Lunch 08-26-2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timo2 (Post 2476929)
By the timing, can I surmise that this has some correlation to coronavirus

Yes, that was my implication. I should be very quick to note that I have no idea if that is the cause -- simply my speculation!

oscar1 08-28-2020 07:52 PM

https://www.amazon.com/How-Retire-Ha...s%2C176&sr=8-1

Retirement is more about relationships, friends, and experiences than what you are looking at out your window. It takes years to build up enough experiences with people to eventually call them friends or trusted advisors. Be careful moving away and having to start that all over again.

COcheesehead 08-28-2020 08:07 PM

Moving doesn’t mean you have to give up your friends.

davebarnes 08-28-2020 08:10 PM

I love living in Denver, Colorado.
Climate—no bugs. It is quite dry.
Real estate taxes—typically 0.5% of market value. Senior discount at age 65 if 10 year ownership.
Income taxes—less than 5% and $20K of pension/SS is excluded.
Government—competent and honest. [mod edit]
Restaurants, museums, trails. Some people even get excited by all the sports, but not me.

Katsmeow 08-28-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim (Post 2474159)
Hi, I retired 10 months ago.

So I'm not even sure what I want to ask here. I went to reddit, but most of the "Denver vs Colorado Springs" threads were focused on things to do for younger people who want to socialize and meet other young people. (Denver is apparently way better there.)

I guess I want a view, the comfort of suburbia not too far away, and good Internet. And drivable access to restaurants (for after-pandemic) and stores and some various things to do and see (mostly after-pandemic).....

OK Several things. To research go to City-Data forum. You want to look two places. First, there is a retirement forum. It is a general retirement forum but people do often ask about what is like to live in a particular locale. This tends to get an older demographic than the general forum. Then, go to the Colorado Forum and go to the Colorado Springs forum.

A few years ago we lived in the Houston area and were deciding where to retire to. We actually ended up not too far from where you live now (we are in NE Tarrant County). I considered moving out of state but my research at City Data made me determine that the place I was considering (not Colorado) was not a good idea. One issue was that medical care where we were considering wasn't top notch. I would be flying to LA if I had a serious health condition. I don't, but things change. This is something to consider. How many medical schools are in the state. Do people graduate and go elsewhere for residency because there aren't good options in the stay. If you need a transplant are they available in state or do you need to go elsewhere? How are they on cancer care? And so on.

Texas is not so great for the pre-65 ACA crowd. It is better than nothing. Colorado is probably better though about insurance than Texas is. We don't know what will happen to the ACA suit. If it gets overturned I seriously doubt that Texas will really do much to protect anyone with pre-existing conditions. Colorado or Washington is probably more likely to do so.

I would suggest that you rent when you first move. We were going to do that for at least 6 months. That way, if you hate it you feel like you aren't financially tied. Also as you live in the area you may learn more about it and where you want to live.

For someone living where you live now, you hare reasonably close to pretty much everything. Irving is in a great location to give you access to stuff in both Dallas and Tarrant county. I am not sure that Colorado Springs will give you that kind of coverage. That may be OK but just think about it. Another option to moving, if you haven't done this, would be to just rent an Air BnB (or similar option) for a month or so and see how much you like there area before moving.

So we ended up staying in Texas, albeit moving from the Houston area to DFW.

A lot of people from Texas like Colorado. I never considered it because I don't like cold or mountains. And, I like having everything available close by so anything smaller than Denver would not have suited me.

bobbyr 08-29-2020 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRoy (Post 2474210)
I suggest that you spend a month or so in each location to find out from experience which you like better. Consider the year round weather. In the Denver area you might try Boulder.

This (at least a month). Rent first, if you are considering buying. Renting also lets you know your neighbors.

We lived in CS for 3 yrs (manitou 1 yr and then off 21st st. on constellation near Cheyenne hs) and really liked it. Worked near AFA north entrance.

Other good options: Woodland Park (not hot like the springs can get), Salida or Buena Vista, Basalt (near aspen) or Carbondale -- those were some of our favorite places. Had family in Basalt and used to make the Independence Pass drive frequently.

MichaelB 08-30-2020 01:58 PM

[mod note] Multiple posts were removed discussing mail in voting that were unrelated to the thread topic. That is a politically charged issue, and when it does come up, needs to be addressed carefully so it pertains to the thread subject and doesn’t lead to off topic debate.

Hermit 08-30-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyr (Post 2478007)
This (at least a month). Rent first, if you are considering buying. Renting also lets you know your neighbors.

We lived in CS for 3 yrs (manitou 1 yr and then off 21st st. on constellation near Cheyenne hs) and really liked it. Worked near AFA north entrance.

Other good options: Woodland Park (not hot like the springs can get), Salida or Buena Vista, Basalt (near aspen) or Carbondale -- those were some of our favorite places. Had family in Basalt and used to make the Independence Pass drive frequently.

I got a bad case of frostbite on Independence Pass one 4th of July weekend. I was on a motorcycle along with my wife and not prepared for heavy snow. We are talking about Colorado so you always need to be prepared for foul weather in the mountains.

COcheesehead 08-30-2020 09:21 PM

Anywhere over 12,000 ft, as is Independence Pass, should be respected.

GravitySucks 09-01-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WyomingLife (Post 2476766)
If your lives revolve around windshields and license plates, please don't come here. Ever.

Stay in Colorado.

Stopped for dinner at a Bar/Restaurant in Wyoming.
Someone walked in a half hour later and said he sees a NY plate in the parking lot, probably here to tell us how we're doing it wrong. His buddy replied, At least it's not a Texas plate. I bought them a beer and he introduced me to Pendeltons whiskey.

I like Wyoming a lot. Thought Laramie would be a nice place to land. I remember standing in snow past my ankles and that was the only part not getting eaten by mosquitoes my first visit to your state. (Medicine Bow in July.)