Healthy Foods for Slowing Aging

Tekward

Recycles dryer sheets
I was hoping hard that beer was on the list :nonono:.

https://blog.insidetracker.com/foods-slow-aging-according-longevity-experts

In the last five years, scientists have made significant breakthroughs in the field of aging and longevity. Aging is a complex, multi-factorial process that starts in our cells, resulting in a gradual decline of the larger systems in the body. Scientists have proposed various theories for the reason we age, including mitochondrial dysfunction, inflammation, DNA damage, cell senescence, and telomere reduction—all of which will be discussed throughout this article. Fortunately, longevity scientists are discovering the power of certain fruits and vegetables to slow down the aging process.

I was hoping hard that beer was on the list :nonono:.

https://blog.insidetracker.com/foods-slow-aging-according-longevity-experts

In the last five years, scientists have made significant breakthroughs in the field of aging and longevity. Aging is a complex, multi-factorial process that starts in our cells, resulting in a gradual decline of the larger systems in the body. Scientists have proposed various theories for the reason we age, including mitochondrial dysfunction, inflammation, DNA damage, cell senescence, and telomere reduction—all of which will be discussed throughout this article. Fortunately, longevity scientists are discovering the power of certain fruits and vegetables to slow down the aging process.

Drat. No wine either!

Skeptical me!

I'm suspect with the source, it is basically an ad for Inside Tracker.
I do like Dr. Rhonda Patrick PhD though.

I'm a fan of Dr. Patrick. Because of her I take fish oil and Vitamin D supplements. I also use the same sun block she does.

Beer and wine (in limited quantities) are on the Beat to Eat Disease book list. A blog post on it is here: https://drwilliamli.com/eating-to-beat-cancer/. This blog and book are by a doctor and vascular biologist who researches cancer drugs and foods with anti-cancer properties.

The Blue Zone researchers also recommend wine as part of a Mediterranean diet. Some studies have shown beer is protective against Alzheimer's - https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S027869150700227X.

Last edited:
For many of us, slowing aging is not good enough. It's too late. We need some food to reverse the aging.

OK, OK, perhaps that's asking for too much. How about something just to stop the pain? :)

Last edited:
For many of us, slowing aging is not good enough. It's too late. We need some food to reverse the aging.
For those interested in a complimentary webinar about "Revolution Against Aging and Death", you can join the "RAADfest 2020 Sneak Peak Preview" will begin on: Aug 29, 2020 11:00 AM Pacific Time.

This might read like an ad, but I thought I'd lay out a few facts and just get this on the table, because this has relevance to us (more than most posts on this board, hehe). And some of us need to blow some dough. The actual 3 day event costs money (advanced ticket purchase is $147 and 'at the door' [day of event?] is $100 more). It is all online. It's considered tax deductible in the US because it's a "not for profit" event, but we all know how valuable that write-off has become. Maybe we should have a "watch party" thread.

I LOVE brussels sprouts and mushrooms. We eat them often.

I don't have a resource right now, but I seem to recall the secret to slowing aging was to limit caloric intake. Specifically eating things like grains and beans. Personally, I'd rather trade a year or two of life for the enjoyment of wine, chocolate, pizza, etc. All things in moderation...

Except for the broccoli sprouts, I'm chopping that stuff down!

I don't have a resource right now, but I seem to recall the secret to slowing aging was to limit caloric intake.

Alas, even though there have been such studies in mice that showed results, they involved what anyone would call extreme calorie restriction, so certainly not possible for an extended time, and perhaps not even applicable to humans.

Look into David Sinclair. I'm on a least part of his regimen, my doc is too! Here's a start, just watching this one now, but he has many videos out. Also hawks a book.
and

OK, OK, perhaps that's asking for too much. How about something just to stop the pain? :)
I'd be fine if my back would stop hurting,
oh and my ankle, bad sprain in 1984, and my shoulder, bone spur, an occasional knee pain, other than that, I'm doing great!
Trying to be humorous with some truth. :dance:

Not saying he's wrong, but he's certainly not taken seriously by everyone.

Example:

SeroVital: Dubious Anti-Aging Claims

I think you linked to the wrong page, the one you link has one sentence about Sinclair, then nothing regarding his research. I have not seen and can not find any link between SeroVital or HGH and Dr. Sinclair. The link to the critic is here.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/aging-is-it-a-preventable-disease/

Seems like a rather soft pedalled critic of Dr. David Sincair's research.
Conclusion:
"The experimental findings in other organisms are very impressive, but there is no actual evidence that they can be applied to extend lifespan and healthspan in humans. Proving that will require long-term studies and careful teasing out of meaningful data from noise and possible confounders. In my opinion, it is premature to apply current preliminary research findings to treating humans. It’s possible that some of these measures could interfere with the others and that there could be unforeseen consequences.
I sincerely hope Sinclair will be proven right, that aging is a treatable and preventable disease, that the human lifespan has no limits, and that the elderly can be treated to maintain youthful standards of health and activity. But I’m not convinced by his arguments. I would have to see better evidence before I would embark on a regimen like Sinclair’s. Meanwhile, there are plenty of evidence-based actions we can all take to better our health, like exercising, eating a nutritious diet, avoiding tobacco, and controlling weight."
Sinclair would second those for healthy actions.
Could be my thinking is biased by the Metformin, NR, Resveritol,Tumeric, D3/K2, that I'm taking. :cool:
I will be changing from NR to MNM soon.

Last edited:
One thing I think might be true about slowing aging, whether by lifestyle, foods, supplements, or anything, is that it works best for people that are worse off. So you see a study where they take people who are kind of sick and implement any of these changes, their age related biomarkers improve. But if you took someone who was more healthy in the first place, there may not be that much improvement.

As to the skepticism, I think that's it's warranted. What would be helpful is a set of biomarkers that really do align with "biological age". What we have today to measure biological age isn't up to snuff, so nobody can "prove" that an intervention is working. There are some methodologies to determine biological age that have been proposed, but they suffer from being "gamed". For instance, if I measure my biological age and it's 60, then I do an intervention that lasts a month and my biological age becomes 50, well, how much can we trust that measure of age? I certainly didn't grow 10 years younger in a month.

There's a lot of hype around "age reversal", and "con-persons" looking to cash-in. There are also a lot of conscientious scientists with plausible theories. They got approval to try metformin in a trial (called TAME) with aging as an endpoint. Having aging as an endpoint is a milestone because the FDA has not treated aging as a "disease", so couldn't be an end point. Progress is being made, I think, but it's slow going. One thing is for sure...the people who live the longest don't get disease at the same time as the rest of us...they get it later, if at all. So the whole idea of our medical system...wait until you have a disease, then treat it...is wrong. They make their money waiting for people to get disease and only then treating it. A small bit of lip service is paid to prevention and an avalanche of money goes into treatment. That's why I literally laughed out loud when I heard an ad for Novo Nordisk say they wanted a cure for diabetes...they'd be out of business overnight if there was a single treatment cure. Ok, this is looking more and more like a rant, so I'll quit.

I think somewhere between Oct 19 and Dec 19 the governemt did decide that aging was a disease.
In this video Dr. Sinclair, (FDA) say's aging isn't a disease...Yet.

Sorry, somewhere in this one, (I didn't want to watch again) he says it has been declared a disease.

This story on CNBC today -

Japanese doctor who lived to 105—his spartan diet, views on retirement, and other rare longevity tips.

Hinohara’s diet was spartan: “For breakfast, I drink coffee, a glass of milk and some orange juice with a tablespoon of olive oil in it.” (Studies have found that olive oil offers numerous health benefits, such as keeping your arteries clean and lowering heart disease risk.)“Lunch is milk and a few cookies, or nothing when I am too busy to eat,” he continued. “I never get hungry because I focus on my work. Dinner is veggies, a bit of fish and rice, and, twice a week, 100 grams of lean meat.”
His six tips for a long life -

1. Don’t retire. But if you must, do so a lot later than age 65.
2. Take the stairs (and keep your weight in check).
3. Find a purpose that keeps you busy.
4. Rules are stressful; try to relax them.
5. Remember that doctors can’t cure everything.
6. Find inspiration, joy and peace in art.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/26/jap...iet-retirement-views-rare-longevity-tips.html

Te Blue Zones researchers have compiled lists of lifestyle and diet habits from areas of the world where people live the longest. In the U.S. that is Loma Linda, home to many Seventh Day Adventists. Seniors there have very low rates of cognitive decline compared to surrounding non-Adventist communities. I've read different estimates, but this article says, "The average male in Loma Linda lives to 89, the average woman to 91 — both are ten years longer than the national average."

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-goldberg-loma-linda-healthcare-20170530-story.html

"The average male in Loma Linda lives to 89, the average woman to 91 — both are ten years longer than the national average."

How does that compare with the folks from Rio Linda? ;)

Back
Top Bottom