Portable A/C disposal or repair

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a portable A/C that worked fine for years but now just pumps out room temp air.

I can hear the compressor cycling on but the air never cools. I suspect the refrigerant has leaked out. Last summer it worked fine.

This is an older two hose unit and it weighs in at about 100 pounds. I am having difficulties finding anybody to service it.

Is it possible to repair the thing myself.

If not, how does one dispose of such a monster? I know I can't simply take it to the dump.

Attachments

• IMG_8912.jpg
    IMG_8912.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I'd guess that if it has lost its refrigerant its the coil(s). In which case even if you could find someone willing to replace or repair, it would not be worth it. Modern coils are thin and not likely to be fixed with solder/brazing assuming you found the leak. As for disposal, might give your local county or whoever runs the landfill for advice. Chunking anything with refrigerant is usually a no-no but there has to be some way to get rid of it other than digging a hole in the back yard. Good luck.

I see a lot of window a/c units at the local metal recycler's place. I don't know if they pay you for the metal or not. One local recycler even has a bin for after hours drop off. As for repairing, you would need some special skills and know the gas type they use.

Check here for your closest DeLonghi repair center. You might ask them about repair.

https://www.delonghi.com/en-us/customer-service/service-locator

Unless it is a high end model, most of these are sealed units, not designed to be easily serviced.
However, if a slow refrigerant leak can be found and repaired at a reasonable cost(?), adding an AC piercing valve will allow regular servicing.
PS - there are youtube videos of DIY fixes using the saddle valve and 134a refrigerant that work -not necessarily a recommendation.

https://www.amazon.com/Supco-BPV31-Bullet-Piercing-Valve/dp/B00DM8J3MI?th=1

Last edited:
My research with disposal of a 1.5T unit indicated that you can trash the window units without any rigamarole. I "pumped down" the freon into the unit by closing the high side and letting it run. When I had a vacuum that wasn't going down any more, I closed the other side. Who knows if the guy that hauled it away recovered the freon (as required by law) or not. But he was licenced. It had "the good stuff" R32, but he said it had to be sent off for processing, and he wouldn't get anything for it. So he probably just dropped it off for copper scrap value.

Agree with the others, if the refrigerant is gone the labor cost to fix it is so high that it isn't feasible to fix it, or even to buy the tools (gauges, vacuum pump, refrigerant) to DIY. Even here in WV the county recycling center will take old window A/C units, dehumidifiers, freezers, etc. so there should be someplace that will take it.

My Rv AC had similar symptoms, bad cap. You can open it up and measure the startup capacitor after discharging.
Make sure it reads according to the label.
Or put it on craigslist for free, some will take it even if it is not working.

Where I live, the next town over has an annual dead appliance haul off day. They contract with a local waste disposal company. Once a year, every year they post this event on their billboard and for the next week everyone hauls their mattress springs, refrigerators, and whatnot, to the city hall parking lot. They don't seem to care if people come from other towns to add to the pile.

If I had a dead A/C unit then I would wait until they announce their next event, and I would haul it to their parking lot, at night.

Back
Top Bottom