Lest We Forget 9/11

Bryan Barnfellow

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
New York City's light art memorial. 911-ANNIVERSARY.jpg

Seems like just a few weeks ago, yet so much has happened and so much has changed. Think how many people don't even have a recollection of it!

I'd just dropped my late wife off at chemo.....went back to her mother's (we were fulltime RV'ing when she was diagnosed and had parked the rig in her mother's driveway), switched on CNBC just before the first plane hit...(the late Mark Haines handled everything superbly).

Called chemo and told them to put the TV on...they were unaware of what was happening.

A whole bunch of awful memories.

It didn't take long for it to become a political football...... The future was no different from the past.

The rebuilding has been incredible. We still have some scarring as a nation but the terrorist attack on US soil taught us many things.

Not forgetting.....All those souls perished doing what we all do and did to support our families and reach our dreams (FIRE)....They died at work.

We should never forget (or gloss over) what the [mod edit] terrorists did to our fellow countrymen......It could have been any of us.

It seems like so long ago yet still so vivid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not forgetting.....All those souls perished doing what we all do and did to support our families and reach our dreams (FIRE)....They died at work.

We should never forget (or gloss over) what the [mod edit] terrorists did to our fellow countrymen......It could have been any of us.

It seems like so long ago yet still so vivid.
X2, especially the first responders.

I just watched some of the footage of the morning on youtube. It's still shocking to see the plane fly into the 2nd tower, but what really got to me were the audio clips of some people calling their loved ones from a hijacked plane or high up in one of the towers. I can't watch or listen anymore.

I just watched some of the footage of the morning on youtube. It's still shocking to see the plane fly into the 2nd tower, but what really got to me were the audio clips of some people calling their loved ones from a hijacked plane or high up in one of the towers. I can't watch or listen anymore.

It was horrific. I was under the awning of the Hilton across the street with a couple of colleagues. We had just come across the street covering our heads as the debris was showering down. I was looking up in that direction as I heard it coming and then banked showing its underside in our direction just before hitting. Once it hit, pandemonium broke loose.

My friend's daughter was going to work, on a very high floor. She was a little late that morning, so kind of preoccupied. She came up out of the subway station across the street just after the first plane hit. Debris was already falling and she looked up but still kept crossing the street. A man ran after her, grabbed her and hauled her back to the sidewalk and made her go back and take the subway home again. If she had been on time, she would already have been in the office.

All these years later, she still has some PTSD over it.

Wow. What a memory, sadly. Now, approaching 2 decades, how does it still affect you?

I still remember the morning vividly. Many dark, unforgettable memories of things I witnessed on the ground and what I did. It doesn't really affect me day to day, until 9/11 comes around each year when all of the news stories and films get highlighted again. I suppose it's good to reflect once a year.

Good Morning everyone...sitting in my cubicle located in a part of the Pentagon that was destroyed and then rebuilt after that day.

The rebuilding has been incredible. We still have some scarring as a nation but the terrorist attack on US soil taught us many things.

I well remember the shocking Oklahoma City terrorist bombing just 6 years earlier. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing
Since that attack, many government buildings as well as commercial buildings have installed bollards in front of main entrances to prevent such a ramming attack.

Last edited:
I have very strong memories of the late Mark Haines narrating the experience. We used to watch Squawk Box every morning because we really liked Mark Haines, and I agree he really rose to the horrific occasion.

l will never forget as it is the aniversary date of me coming to Peru and meeting my Wife!
Who would have thought that horrible day would be the beginning of the single most life changing event in my life!

I certainly agree, but neither should we forget how we as a nation responded.

My office was 10 blocks away from the WTC.
We could see the first plane inside the building. When the 1st building came down, the dust and debris reached 5 blocks from us. 13k people in my building on the streets.
Finally got home at 6:30pm. Knew 3 people who died.
Frightening day overall.

I visited the nearby fire department today. They have a little 9/11 memorial with pieces of the twin tower structures. Surreal.

Attachments

• 0DFB60CB-C0F7-4C88-8AA6-57F5C5919471.jpg
    0DFB60CB-C0F7-4C88-8AA6-57F5C5919471.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 35
It's like when the men landed on the moon, an event so dramatic, it's burned into my memory of where I was at that time.

I was at home, between job, when a friend from a spy agency phoned me to say turn on the tv. It was after the first plane hit, of course I was glued to the tube after that.

In October 2018, we visited the site while in NY as tourists.

It was a horrific time. Family member worked a few miles from the Pentagon. After the boom and smoke hightailed it home and stayed home for a week. I visited ground zero in Nov 2001. Still smoldering, the smells, and the recovery workers working covered in soot. Never forget 9/11. I recall shortly after if a passenger stood up from their seat on a plane flying out of DC, that person would be subject to arrest.

I can't imagine forgetting today, but then I live in NY. At the time I lived across the river in northern NJ and for a few years worked on Exchange Place in Jersey City right across from the towers.

On March 11, 2002 at the 6 month anniversary of 9/11 when they had the first tribute in lights we drove to Liberty State Park to take photos. We didn't know that they would continue them to this day.

C:\Users\ninha\Pictures

Attachments

• memorail lights.jpg
    memorail lights.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom