Who owns both Wellesley and Wellington?

I have both. Combined together you can achieve an equity/bond mix that is different than either one on their own.

Together they are roughly a 50/50 mix with a strong correlation in the stocks held and corporate bonds. You could do a lot worse than holding these two together. There is no magic, but it is easy if you leave them alone and let them run.

p.s. I have owned Wellesley in a 401K in the past.

I TRY not to tell DW how to invest her own money (all Roths) but several years back, I DID get her to invest roughly equally in Wellesley and Wellington. All worked very well for several years. Typically, when one was a little down, the other made up for it. Since we are long-term investors (or at least I thought so) I never paid a lot of attention except to the year end statement which typically looked pretty good.

She read an article (heaven knows where or what it said.) Suddenly, she wanted to go to cash - and she missed some of the best growth ever available. A couple of years back, she sheepishly asked ME if she should at least go back to Wellesley. I tried to be cool and say "Yeah, that's probably a good idea." I can deal with the recent unpleasantness but YMMV.

I have both. I keep my immediate needs (1-2 years) in Wellington because it's not as volatile.

Have both. Outputs are to my money market account for spending/checkwriting for large purchases..

Right now, my traditional IRA only contains Wellesley, was thinking of adding Wellington.

Own both in Rollover IRA 50/50

Wellington for Roth

Taxable is VG Tax Managed Capital Apr, and VG Tax Managed Balanced

We have both Wellesley and Wellington in our tIRAs and Roth IRAs. Those are the only MFs we have. The dividends from tIRAs are swept into a tIRA MM account that we draw from for RMD. We also have individual stocks in taxable accounts with Ameritrade and Cash in MM accounts and CDs.
I sleep well at night.

Cheers!

Own both in Rollover IRA 50/50

Wellington for Roth

Taxable is VG Tax Managed Capital Apr, and VG Tax Managed Balanced

Anybody own them in taxable?

Did own them early on in taxable as an income strategy in early retirement. They throw off decent (taxable) dividends, and capital gains. We didn't take out CGs but a couple of times in 9-10 years. It's easy to change from reinvest to bank at VG when needed. This worked for us as a good income stream while the taxable continued to grow, but moved taxable to VTMFX, and VTCLX (as shown in original attached post) in anticipation of RMDs now in a couple of years. They were moved gradually to avoid capital gains taxes.

We are flagship with VG, and 1/3rd of our holdings are taxable. We have no pensions, and rely on investments and SS for retirement income. Everyone's retirement (and tax) scenario is unique, so what worked for us might not be ideal for others...

Last edited:
Anybody own them in taxable?

Yes. It's my primary taxable investment. Thought it was a good balanced investment (which is it) and wasn't worried about/considering the capital gains distributions at the time.

Since falling off the ACA cliff twice :(, I have periodically considered biting the Capital Gains bullet and switching to something that has a lower tax impact.

Yes. It's my primary taxable investment. Thought it was a good balanced investment (which is it) and wasn't worried about/considering the capital gains distributions at the time.

Since falling off the ACA cliff twice :(, I have periodically considered biting the Capital Gains bullet and switching to something that has a lower tax impact.

There was pretty good capital gains payout off Wellesley and Wellington 2-3 years back, that pushed us over the ACA cliff for DW's last year B4 Medicare. I looked back then, and it was substantially over average yearly payouts. We lost her subsidy for the three months prior to her turning 65 that year - it was a $2-3k loss. Thankfully it was just the three months. We had been slowly getting out of Wels and Wel, but that higher than normal CGs payout caught me.

I posted a reply on another thread here about self-managing, and this was what I posted about taxable -

Taxable account - Tax Managed Capital Apr. (VTCLX) and Tax Managed Balanced (VTMFX). Most all dividends are qualified (muni's are not taxed federally, but are added back for taxing SS), and they throw off zero capital gains (so far). This is long term leave behind money - hopefully..

Might want to take a look at them.

I've got them both, but I didn't want to tie up too much in them so I have diversified into a Vanguard stock fund to keep my allocation percentage on target.

I don't own either one.

I hear so much about these two Vanguard Balanced Funds that I think I should own some.

I do have a significant holding in Vanguard Balanced Index Admiral. It seems to be doing as well as any other balanced fund that I see.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but how differ from the two often mentioned funds Wellesley and Wellington ? and why is it so seldom mentioned as an option ?

I don't own either one.

I hear so much about these two Vanguard Balanced Funds that I think I should own some.

I do have a significant holding in Vanguard Balanced Index Admiral. It seems to be doing as well as any other balanced fund that I see.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but how differ from the two often mentioned funds Wellesley and Wellington ? and why is it so seldom mentioned as an option ?

It and the target date funds been mentioned here more in recent times I think

I don't see the advantage of Wellington over Balanced Index. Wellington is far more concentrated, has a 10 year average annual return less than VBIAX and costs twice as more.

Wellesley income on the other hand is a good value oriented complement to my other more growth oriented holdings

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom